Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kasparov campaign on death bed? - Kevin Spraggett

Originally posted by Sasha Starr View Post
    Vlad, please provide the CFC's and your own legal counsel's information.
    The CFC uses the famous law firm: Dewey, Dickem and Good
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Hurt by a Starr? Call William Mattar.
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
        If you are serious you should know enough to contact the CFC and Vlad by e-mail, phone, or mail for this information.
        Let Starr's lawyer hire a bailiff to serve his documents. Then the CFC's/Vlad's lawyer(s) can respond in due course. Enough of the threats from Starr already. Either put up (and get this bullshit off of Chesstalk) or shut up.
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha Starr View Post
          Vlad, please provide the CFC's and your own legal counsel's information.
          Now why would I want to do that?

Comment

A sad situation

I had hoped that once the CFC AGM was over, this whole affair would settle down. Obviously both sides still want to attack each other publicly, without regard to how it affects their own image, the image of the CFC, and the image of chess in Canada in general. Completely disasterous.

Given that Vlad is still President, and Sasha is now a Governor/Class A voting member, I am wondering how either intends to work with the other or with the rest of the CFC to improve it, particularly Sasha. That said, I'm not holding much hope of anything.

Otherwise, if Sasha really intends some form of legal action, he should openly state on what grounds he intends to take action now, rather than after the fact. Otherwise there is no reason to believe that there is any legal action he can take, and hence no threat. Reminds me of the situation where someone in Kingston was threatening to sue various persons including the CFC, but it was all empty threats, without basis. Mercifully I have forgotten the person's name or the reasons now.

Comment

Re: A sad situation

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
              I had hoped that once the CFC AGM was over, this whole affair would settle down. Obviously both sides still want to attack each other publicly, without regard to how it affects their own image, the image of the CFC, and the image of chess in Canada in general. Completely disasterous.

Given that Vlad is still President, and Sasha is now a Governor/Class A voting member, I am wondering how either intends to work with the other or with the rest of the CFC to improve it, particularly Sasha. That said, I'm not holding much hope of anything.

Otherwise, if Sasha really intends some form of legal action, he should openly state on what grounds he intends to take action now, rather than after the fact. Otherwise there is no reason to believe that there is any legal action he can take, and hence no threat. Reminds me of the situation where someone in Kingston was threatening to sue various persons including the CFC, but it was all empty threats, without basis. Mercifully I have forgotten the person's name or the reasons now.
              I hope he has a good lawyer as it is not much fun dealing with the bad ones. I mean bad as in unprepared. Of course if he has a good lawyer he will be told to drop it. I have already tweeted this threat.
              Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Tuesday, 29th July, 2014, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Re: A sad situation

The elephant in the room that no-one has mentioned is that this guy is going to be flitting around the Canadian delegation in Norway! I hope someone has a Plan B....I know what mine would be. Just sayin..........
                Fred Harvey

Comment

How do you spend it without first raising it? (And you miss that there are also KCF offices in Johannesburg, Brussels, Singapore, and Mexico City with their own budgets and programs and sponsors.) Do you think the millions for this campaign and the private jets through LatAm and Africa were paid for on Mastercard? Do you think Rex Sinquefield is on the ticket so he can then not make good on the campaign's plans and promises? This election wouldn't even be competitive without massive amounts of private sponsorship for Garry so he could travel constantly and bring federation representatives together. Kirsan has done little but focus on how to retain power for 19 years and has rigged nearly every riggable thing possible. Combined with his Russian embassy support worldwide and very successful policy of keeping federations poor and dependent on FIDE and the Continental power verticals so they have to come begging for crumbs and tickets every four years, even challenging Ilyumzhinov was considered impossible.

When you're citing loony stuff like the above there's obviously no hope of any rational dialogue about what is good for the chess world over the next four years. There are maybe six federations who would go against Kasparov because of his politics and they are all ex-Soviet and/or are tightly in the Kremlin orbit. If the rest actually cared about politics they'd be far more concerned about Ilyumzhinov's FIDE now being completely dependent on Putin's increasingly rogue and sanctioned Russia. As for the rest, as Nigel Short put it well, nobody who supports Kirsan talks about his recent record or his future plans at all. (Nor does Kirsan, and nobody on his ticket campaigns or speaks at all other than Makro.) They're either getting something or are afraid of losing something. That's the way the system has been designed, so FIDE is the boss and every four years the federations come begging for chump change for their votes. And then, votes counted, all those nice Kirsan promises vanish every single time. This is why Kasparov and Leong put things in writing, which of course provided an easy target. Nobody likes to see the sausage being made but it's a lot better when everyone can see what goes into it. The contracts specify that all the money goes into chess, not to individuals. And it's signed, so win or lose, the money goes to chess. Chess! Imagine! Of course Kirsan wants to keep everything under the table. It's a lot cheaper and more efficient to pay one guy than to actually support chess organizations in writing.

Eliminate the fees, the debts, and return power to the federations. Sponsor THEM, work with them to obtain local sponsorship, regional partnerships, scholastic programs. We've been doing it for years; this isn't just theory or pretty words. FIDE should have been in education and online initiatives, oh, 19 years ago. Instead the only new initiatives have been repeated versions of Agon (FIDE Commerce, CNC, et al) where Ilyumzhinov, Makro, and their gang squeeze even more money out for themselves. You think that's going to be an issue with Garry? With anyone on his ticket? Pffft. Money out or money in, it's a pretty clear choice on that front.

Anyway, we hope for the best for Canadian chess, Mr. Drkulec. I do hope you got something that will benefit your organization and members for your support of Ilyumzhinov. Tromso tickets for the teams, at least? A few seminars or an event or two? I mean, all of these impassioned attacks on Kasparov would be truly embarrassing if you were the only one in the world doing it for free.

My inbox is always open if you or anyone there would actually like to talk about building up the future of chess in Canada and the world. Garry's is as well. We don't give up on any president or any country because we don't give up on any players and kids who deserve better and who deserve not to be punished for political squabbles they care little about. Let's talk chess in schools in Canada. Let's talk bringing thousands of new members into the system by incorporating online players and bundling them into an attractive demographic for sponsors in Canada and globally. Let's talk you and Canada being an essential member of new FIDE commissions based on language and other more useful and rational categorizations than continents. (The Americas Continental official website is only in Spanish. Still blows my mind. Sorry USA and Canada and most of the Caribbean!)

Saludos, Mig

@chessninja
                  mgreengard@kasparov.com
                  http://kasparov2014.com/

Comment

Prediction: on August 1st Garry Kasparov will join and write the message on chesstalk.

Comment

Welcome to the zoo, Mig! Careful where you step! You may need to wash your shoes afterwards.

Comment

Whatever happened to simply sending emails, or making phone calls? I've seen so much posted publicly that should not be.

I would also like to know exactly the relationship between the various participants posting here and Kasparov's official team. Who is actually sanctioned by Kasparov to speak for him?

Sid Belzberg?
                        Sasha Starr?
                        Robert Hamilton?
                        Mig Greengard?

I need a playbook here.

I would ask the same with respect to Kirsan, except they have (probably wisely) not posted on this board (unless someone out there is counting Vlad or Hal).

Comment

Whatever happened to simply sending emails, or making phone calls? I've seen so much posted publicly that should not be.

I would also like to know exactly the relationship between the various participants posting here and Kasparov's official team. Who is actually sanctioned by Kasparov to speak for him?

Sid Belzberg?
                          Sasha Starr?
                          Robert Hamilton?
                          Mig Greengard?

I need a playbook here.

I would ask the same with respect to Kirsan, except they have (probably wisely) not posted on this board (unless someone out there is counting Vlad or Hal).
                          Mig Greengard is your man. As I have said before, I am just a good friend of Garry's. As far as I know Sasha is also just a friend. As I understand it Robert Hamilton has been a spokesperson in Canada but Mig is Garry's right hand man and has been for many years so that is your man to correspond with. By the way Mig is as solid as they come and the CFC would be served well taking his generous offer seriously.
                          Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Tuesday, 29th July, 2014, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Just why would you want to know that? Isn't any member of the forum entitled to post his or her opinion?

Comment

Sid Belzberg?
                              Not associated with the campaign, a personal friend of Kasparov.

Sasha Starr?
                              Blame him on Michael Barron.

Robert Hamilton?
                              Originally disavowed, since reclaimed as official rep in Canada. Sent message from Max Dlugy which started the downward spiral for the Kasparov campaign with CFC.
                              Mig Greengard?
                              Associated with the Kasparov campaign.

I need a playbook here.

Actually one person associated with the Kirsan campaign has posted here in support of Hal Bond as I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by Mig Greengard View Post
                                How do you spend it without first raising it? (And you miss that there are also KCF offices in Johannesburg, Brussels, Singapore, and Mexico City with their own budgets and programs and sponsors.) Do you think the millions for this campaign and the private jets through LatAm and Africa were paid for on Mastercard? Do you think Rex Sinquefield is on the ticket so he can then not make good on the campaign's plans and promises? This election wouldn't even be competitive without massive amounts of private sponsorship for Garry so he could travel constantly and bring federation representatives together. Kirsan has done little but focus on how to retain power for 19 years and has rigged nearly every riggable thing possible. Combined with his Russian embassy support worldwide and very successful policy of keeping federations poor and dependent on FIDE and the Continental power verticals so they have to come begging for crumbs and tickets every four years, even challenging Ilyumzhinov was considered impossible.
                                I have no doubt that Garry Kasparov has access to large sums of money. The U.S. edition of the Kasparov foundation does not bear out claims about being able to raise large sums of money on the order of what is required to fund FIDE particularly without any fees from the federations.

When you're citing loony stuff like the above there's obviously no hope of any rational dialogue about what is good for the chess world over the next four years.
                                The Kasparov campaign brought out the looniness. For the most part I have simply been reacting to attacks which have come from several directions.

There are maybe six federations who would go against Kasparov because of his politics and they are all ex-Soviet and/or are tightly in the Kremlin orbit. If the rest actually cared about politics they'd be far more concerned about Ilyumzhinov's FIDE now being completely dependent on Putin's increasingly rogue and sanctioned Russia. As for the rest, as Nigel Short put it well, nobody who supports Kirsan talks about his recent record or his future plans at all. (Nor does Kirsan, and nobody on his ticket campaigns or speaks at all other than Makro.) They're either getting something or are afraid of losing something. That's the way the system has been designed, so FIDE is the boss and every four years the federations come begging for chump change for their votes. And then, votes counted, all those nice Kirsan promises vanish every single time. This is why Kasparov and Leong put things in writing, which of course provided an easy target. Nobody likes to see the sausage being made but it's a lot better when everyone can see what goes into it. The contracts specify that all the money goes into chess, not to individuals. And it's signed, so win or lose, the money goes to chess. Chess! Imagine! Of course Kirsan wants to keep everything under the table. It's a lot cheaper and more efficient to pay one guy than to actually support chess organizations in writing.

Eliminate the fees, the debts, and return power to the federations. Sponsor THEM, work with them to obtain local sponsorship, regional partnerships, scholastic programs. We've been doing it for years; this isn't just theory or pretty words. FIDE should have been in education and online initiatives, oh, 19 years ago. Instead the only new initiatives have been repeated versions of Agon (FIDE Commerce, CNC, et al) where Ilyumzhinov, Makro, and their gang squeeze even more money out for themselves. You think that's going to be an issue with Garry? With anyone on his ticket? Pffft. Money out or money in, it's a pretty clear choice on that front.

Anyway, we hope for the best for Canadian chess, Mr. Drkulec. I do hope you got something that will benefit your organization and members for your support of Ilyumzhinov. Tromso tickets for the teams, at least? A few seminars or an event or two? I mean, all of these impassioned attacks on Kasparov would be truly embarrassing if you were the only one in the world doing it for free.
                                I doubt that I am the only one doing it for free but I am doing it for free mostly in response to attempts to embarrass the CFC cause publicity problems for us or to cause mischief for us with our government.

My attacks on Garry have each come in response to attacks on the CFC, myself, the executive an/or Hal Bond from Garry, his official reps or the attempts of certain GK supporters to overturn the established procedures that the Chess Federation of Canada operates under. For most of this fight I have been holding back. We have operated under a constant barrage of attack and I only responded on twitter when I learned that I and the CFC were being attacked there.

My inbox is always open if you or anyone there would actually like to talk about building up the future of chess in Canada and the world. Garry's is as well. We don't give up on any president or any country because we don't give up on any players and kids who deserve better and who deserve not to be punished for political squabbles they care little about. Let's talk chess in schools in Canada. Let's talk bringing thousands of new members into the system by incorporating online players and bundling them into an attractive demographic for sponsors in Canada and globally.
                                I have been talking with people on all of the above ideas over the course of the year where I have been CFC president. In Canada, chess in schools will have to come in on a provincial and individual school basis. No national program is really possible because education is a provincial responsibility and you have to go to each province in order to implement such a program. The alternative is to go to each individual school or approach each individual student.

Let's talk you and Canada being an essential member of new FIDE commissions based on language and other more useful and rational categorizations than continents. (The Americas Continental official website is only in Spanish. Still blows my mind. Sorry USA and Canada and most of the Caribbean!)

Saludos, Mig

@chessninja
                                mgreengard@kasparov.com
                                http://kasparov2014.com/
                                Lets talk but probably not until after the campaign. Whether someone or another keeps their promises or not (my information is that they do), I do try to keep my promises so the CFC vote will not change. I might have to deal with a lawsuit from a Kasparov supporter though if he has initiated it he has done it by remote control as he is on a plane to Tromso.

Comment

Working...
                                X