Qiyu Zhou: WYCC Champ (history made)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Qiyu Zhou: WYCC Champ (history made)

Wow! Congratulation to world champion Qiyu Zhou! :)
    A fantastic achievement, we are all very proud of you.

Congratulations to the entire Canadian WYCC team. I was just looking over the final results.
    12 of 16 players with an equal or plus score against the best in the world. All champions!

Canada has now it's 3rd world champion in just 5 years. We must be doing something right!

Comment

Congratulations Qiyu Zhou!

For us in Ottawa seeing the chess progress Qiyu has been making in the last few months has been an absolute treat.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

Canada has now it's 3rd world champion in just 5 years. We must be doing something right!
        Considering that Qiyu Zhou has been living in Canada for only 4 years, that she had previously played 8 times (!!) in the WYCC, and that she performed at only 50 points above her rating (good but not outstanding) beating only one player above 2000, the "we" has to remain modest.
        It seems to me that the what "we must be doing right" has more to do with immigration policies than chess.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
          This is also how Qiyu's mother presented Aman on the pictures on Facebook. While he is not her coach for the "rest of the year", as I said in my last post, he was her coach on site and prepared her for her games (http://canadianwycc2014.wordpress.co...h-assignments/).
          I know for sure that GM Szabo supported Qiyu throughout the WYCC because a few of my son's lessons with him were scheduled so that he could work with her via Skype. Gergely is a superbly talented and dedicated coach who started working with Qiyu shortly before her remarkable run through the Olympiad and WYCC.
          Last edited by Eric Gedajlovic; Tuesday, 30th September, 2014, 08:31 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
          X