CFC Governors - A Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CFC Governors - A Problem?

Kerry your interpretation of what I was saying about Hugh is correct. Maybe I should have avoided an idiomatic phraseology.

Comment

Re: Too Many Governors??

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      Being a governor of a registered charity looks good on a job resume. It's not like people have to say they don't bother participating in the decision making.
      Maybe the CFC should start to charge own governors for that (or introduce a governor's fee)? :D

Comment

The number of Governors is not the problem. The number of deadwood Governors is. reducing the number of Governors will not necessarily lead to eliminating the deadwood.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
          The number of Governors is not the problem. The number of deadwood Governors is. reducing the number of Governors will not necessarily lead to eliminating the deadwood.
          That sounds true.
          Last edited by Gary Ruben; Wednesday, 8th April, 2009, 12:32 PM.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            Maybe the CFC should start to charge own governors for that (or introduce a governor's fee)? :D
            Depending on the company, they might call for a reference to verify the person holds the position.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

How did I get involved in ths discussion?

Comment

So charge $100 deposit to be a Governor. If he or she votes 100% in regular ("with proper notice") email votes for the year, the money is refunded. This would cut down the raw number of Govs, and later the number of deadwood Govs.

Instrument (cheque) handling is always an issue, but since most Govs are there year after year, they'd just continue, they wouldn't see a refund and they wouldn't have to write a new cheque. CFC might consider having an accounts system, once they've cleared up any existing computer issues.

Haven't there been refundable deposits in the Canadian Championship? Complete your RR schedule, get your money back? Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. Or if you prefer, the people who make the rules are not above them.

Comment

I never thought of charging a deposit but it's a wonderful idea! A performance bond!

Then when people complain about the membership fee the governors can tell them they (the governors) have to pay 100 bucks in performance bond.

Is there currently any requirement the governors be CFC members and keep their membership current?

The problem with the system is the governors would have to vote this into the bylaws. I've noticed over the years people have more of a tendency to vote themselves positive benefits for performance rather than punitive measures for non performance.

There was a very nice feature last evening on CTV regarding the School Championship. Ted Winick (sp?), whom I've never met, was interviewed as were several children. I thought it was very positive for chess. (I hope Bob won't mind this small divergence from the governors topic.)
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hi Gary:

Always nice to hear some positive chess marketing news, even in my thread !!

I was advised ( I didn't research it myself ) of a Governor whose CFC membership lapsed and wasn't renewed, while he was a governor ( or it was that he never renewed when he became a governor, nor during his tenure ). - Nice.

Bob

Comment

The rules only specify that you can't be selected as a Governor by your province if you are not a CFC member. We started really enforcing that a few years ago, it was hit and miss before then.

Unfortunately, nothing in there about all the other ways of becoming a Governor. And nothing in there about current Governors who lapse.
                      Christopher Mallon
                      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Gasp!!

Just for a moment there, I thought I might get a response to my request above. Will you respond with some Back-Up to your outrageous claim about abuse of proxies?

Comment

As far as I can see, Bela Kosoian, the women's coordinator (but not a governor, I think) has never been a CFC member. Leading by example, presumably.

Comment

Hi John:

There are 3 non-executive officers of the CFC. Two of them are among the 23 Governors-at-Large. The Women's Coordinator is one of the two. So Bela is a governor.

Also, the webzine shows her CFC membership expiring August 1, 2009.

What is interesting though, is that she has never played in a CFC-rated tournament, though being a member.

Bob
                            Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Tuesday, 7th April, 2009, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Re: Gasp!!

I've already said what I need to say. It's all a matter of public record, I don't have to provide any more proof.

To be fair, it wasn't all that bad last year compared with the year before. But I don't see why it's so hard to follow simple rules.
                              Christopher Mallon
                              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Hi all: The CFC passed a motion in 2001-02 see text and voting results
                                below. I thought this was an ongoing task by the CFC & affiliates including
                                current & future assembly of governors.

Wilf Ferner

Motion 02-2
                                : (Lyle Craver/Ken Craft)
                                Addition to CFC Bylaw 1, paragraph 13
                                concerning eligibility of members for
                                CFC Governorship:
                                Any provincially elected Governor found
                                not to be a CFC member in good
                                standing shall have his/her voting
                                privileges suspended. Once suspended
                                the governor and his provincial body