X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Feel the Bern

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
    And Trump wins again ...
    Crazy eh. The thought of a President Trump is truly terrifying.
    I was having great difficulty understanding why anyone would vote for him, but then I decided to put myself in the shoes of a die hard Republican voter. I asked myself, who would I vote for? Then I understood. :(

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
      Crazy eh. The thought of a President Trump is truly terrifying.
      I was having great difficulty understanding why anyone would vote for him, but then I decided to put myself in the shoes of a die hard Republican voter. I asked myself, who would I vote for? Then I understood. :(
      Indeed it is a scarey possibility, Bob. But now that the field is narrowing hopefully one of Rubio or Cruz will push Trump into the background (we can hope - not that either of those two is a prize). :)
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Trump is proving what I have long suspected: high-level business people can be more successful than lifelong politicians at politics. They generally don't do it because they have better things to do with their time and energy.

I say this even though I would never vote for Trump.
        "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

And Trump wins again...

Overall, Trump has 79 delegates, Cruz has 16, Rubio has 15, Kasich has 5, and Ben Carson has 3.

It takes 1,237 delegates to win the Republican nomination.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
            Trump is proving what I have long suspected: high-level business people can be more successful than lifelong politicians at politics. They generally don't do it because they have better things to do with their time and energy.

I say this even though I would never vote for Trump.

A question for Canadians: if Canada had its own version of Donald Trump in the business world (Conrad Black? LOL! or maybe a former sports great like Gretzky) and this character were to run for PM in Canada, and were to make unbelievable statements as Trump is doing... would Canadians be duped as easily as Americans are being duped by Trump?

It's quite remarkable. Perhaps the internet age is making this kind of thing more possible: just make outrageous statements with a 'feel-good' nature to them, such as "I'm going to make America great again" repeated over and over, and the masses will BELIEVE!

There was a news piece on Sunday: apparently Trump makes a lot of his money through licensing his name to real estate developments. People who buy into these developments get to meet Trump, and are led to believe that Trump is actually the developer. When it goes south, the investors find out that Trump has no involvement and can just walk away, and somewhere in the contract in very small print it mentions that he was not the developer.
            Only the rushing is heard...
            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

There is some buzz on Kevin O'Leary of Shark Tank fame making a run for the conservative leadership.

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/otta...vative-leader/

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                A question for Canadians: if Canada had its own version of Donald Trump in the business world (Conrad Black? LOL! or maybe a former sports great like Gretzky) and this character were to run for PM in Canada, and were to make unbelievable statements as Trump is doing... would Canadians be duped as easily as Americans are being duped by Trump?
                Yes, they probably would be duped by someone telling them what they wanted to hear. I had a discussion with someone who took a more pessimistic view of human nature than I, who said that my view was skewed towards the optimistic because I mostly dealt with chess players and their parents who are not representative of the public at large (being more inclined towards the logical). That person who has been right on the last five or six Canadian, Ontario and U.S. elections is probably right on this.

I recall some social research study which indicated that you could achieve remarkably accurate predictions of election results by simply showing the pictures of the candidates to some very young children (on the order of five years old) and asking them who should win. There was some question early on whether the Donald wasn't simply a Manchurian candidate running to ensure that Hillary would win. If he was, I think he has moved beyond that in the scope of his ambition. It is ironic that he is running as an outsider when he is clearly the ultimate insider. It probably won't be as bad as everyone thinks but then again it might be worse. Is a house of Kardassian candidacy in our future (assuming that no one blows up the world in the interim)?
                Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Thursday, 25th February, 2016, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                  ... Is a house of Kardassian candidacy in our future (assuming that no one blows up the world in the interim)?
                  I think Trump, and to some extent Sanders, has opened the door for a lot of people who would never consider running for POTUS to seriously consider it. That's a good thing, imo. What has the establishment in the parties managed to dredge up? Another Bush and another Clinton.
                  "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Trump's "Make America Great Again" = Reagan's "It's Morning in America Again", no? The guy sells the sizzle, not the steak, because for most voters that's what they care about. Does anyone in Canada believe that on competence/experience alone Justin Trudeau would really make a better PM than either Harper or Mulcair? Harper was just unlikable in tone and action and it was time for him to get the heave-ho.

A question for Canadians: if Canada had its own version of Donald Trump in the business world (Conrad Black? LOL! or maybe a former sports great like Gretzky) and this character were to run for PM in Canada, and were to make unbelievable statements as Trump is doing... would Canadians be duped as easily as Americans are being duped by Trump? ...

Comment

There was a news piece on Sunday: apparently Trump makes a lot of his money through licensing his name to real estate developments. People who buy into these developments get to meet Trump, and are led to believe that Trump is actually the developer. When it goes south, the investors find out that Trump has no involvement and can just walk away, and somewhere in the contract in very small print it mentions that he was not the developer.
                      Paul, have you heard of Trump university? Students fleeced into believing they will learn Donald's secrets of real estate investing. Many of them are now suing.....
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYxHLhsRyTA

I have a difficult time understanding why this hasn't been reported on the campaign trail. Are the media afraid of Trump's lawyers?

Comment

98% gave Trump U and Excellent rating.

And perhaps another reason why this allegation is lacks credibility is because of a similar try to smear Trump:

Tarla Makaeff filed a similar class action against Trump and Trump University in 2010 alleging deceptive business practices. The case is no longer a class action and Trump is no longer a defendant.
                        Found mentioned here:

http://www.courthousenews.com/2015/0...-rico-case.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                          Paul, have you heard of Trump university? Students fleeced into believing they will learn Donald's secrets of real estate investing. Many of them are now suing.....
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYxHLhsRyTA

I have a difficult time understanding why this hasn't been reported on the campaign trail. Are the media afraid of Trump's lawyers?
                          Trumps hotel projects in Toronto and Florida ( I think it was Ft. Lauderdale ) both smelled like con jobs when they were completed. Investors buying condos found out that the numbers they were fed were misleading ( that's the nice word for it ) in Toronto and in Florida they discovered that the lead on the project was a convicted felon. Trump has had several of his large businesses go bankrupt over the years and seems to be good at abusing business law to his advantage.

Until some older generations die out, there is still a large block of American voters who are basically to some degree racist. And a slumping economy is new to the US, they aren't coping very well. Just read today that Iowa wants to make it legal for toddlers to use handguns under parental supervision. Apparently, they fear the young tykes will lack shooting skills at age 18. Trump plays to those fears, he wants to ban all Muslims from entering the US by law.

Comment

98% gave Trump U and Excellent rating.
                            98%....according to Trump. That's just BS.
                            Thanks for the link, just proves he has lots of good lawyers.
                            AFAIK, there are many more cases pending. It was mentioned at the debate tonight, so maybe we get more details.
                            It was nice to see finally some of the candidates grow a pair and finally attack his credibility.

Comment

Can't say for sure what it proves, but one thing for sure we can say is that Rubio burned him bad in last night's debate. I'm confident as we head into March The Donald will regain any traction lost one way or another. Major media has already fact checked Trump to the nth degree.

No GOP candidate in history of the party has lost the nominee from the position Trump currently enjoys...

Comment

Can't say for sure what it proves, but one thing for sure we can say is that Rubio burned him bad in last night's debate....
                                Two major things against Rubio:

(1) He believes the Constitution is not a living document. No matter how much society changes, we must continue to be governed by ideas and principles as documented 200+ years ago. This is very similar in concept to the teachings of ISIS.

(2) He wants to roll back, eliminate government regulations that prevent companies from ripping off citizens. In his words, regulations are a barrier. Well, yeah, so are speed limits, but if we didn't have them, traffic deaths would be triple what they are. Even with regulations, we have trouble keeping companies in line, as shown by Volkswagon cars producing many times acceptable pollution levels. And just today, word that WalMart has been selling cheese products with wood pulp in them. A Rubio presidency would result in many, many more such stories.

Personally, not impressed with Rubio at all. He rails against politicians who say anything to get in power... and he sure sounds just like them.
                                Only the rushing is heard...
                                Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Working...
                                X