Women will be forced to compete in hijabs at the next world championship in Iran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Women will be forced to compete in hijabs at the next world championship in Iran

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
    So Sid, is your stance that the CFC should FORBID the winner of the Women's Closed from attending the tournament?

I fail to see the logic here. Let's walk through the chain of events.

1) The Canadian Women's Closed was announced this summer, before the announcement of the tournament being held in Iran.
    2) The event was for the most part privately sponsored and organized by one individual.
    3) The prize was coverage of the flight costs to the event.
    4) The announcement of the tournament being awarded to Iran only 2 weeks before the Canadian Women's Closed was held, too late to cancel the event, but early enough that the players knew where the event was going to be held.

So based on the assumption that the winner is well informed of the risks involved, and that the CFC is not actively encouraging or trying to coerce her to go, it appears to me that the decision is up to the winner (and in this case her parents). If she/they decide to go, then the best course of action for the CFC is to actively work with FIDE, the Canadian Government, the organizers in Iran, and any other relevant organizations to help ensure their safety and well being. What other actions at this point make sense?
    Garland do not put words in my mouth, I never said that the CFC should forbid any one from doing anything nor does the CFC have the power to do that.
    It is obvious that no course of action will eliminate the risks involved. The Canadian Government will tell you just that. That is the position that I would expect the CFC to take. What the player and parents do is their affair but the CFC should not be involved in making representations to it's members that through FIDE somehow these risks are reduced.

The CFC and other chess federations decided to endorse FIDE leadership that has a history of holding tournaments in dangerous and oppressive countries. Sadly players that are truly great from time to time have to deal with unnecessary risks. We have had a corrupt system for a very long time where the leadership benefits (especially at FIDE) and the players suffer. The CFC and for that matter many other chess federations have not been helpful in changing this situation.
    Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Saturday, 1st October, 2016, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Re: Women will be forced to compete in hijabs at the next world championship in Iran

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
      The CFC and for that matter many other chess federations have not been helpful in changing this situation.
      And how would this situation have changed with the likes of Danailov and Leong in charge of FIDE?

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
        And how would this situation have changed with the likes of Danailov and Leong in charge of FIDE?
        For starters $10,000,000 of Sinqfeld's support and massive Western sponsorship so that players are not faced with competing in bizarre venues such as Iran and Libya. How are Kirsan's promises working out for the CFC Vlad? His promised $20,000,000 to FIDE was broken a day after he made it. Did you have a good time in Baku? Why don't you explain to the members how exactly the CFC benefited from your presence there? Fred posted what a great investment of the CFC's money it was to send you there. The team did great however I am sure with or without you would not have made any difference.

Comment

For starters $10,000,000 of Sinqfeld's support and massive Western sponsorship so that players are not faced with competing in bizarre venues such as Iran and Libya. How are Kirsan's promises working out for the CFC Vlad?
          It worked out fine.

Did you have a good time in Baku?
          I had a productive time in Baku.

Why don't you explain to the members how exactly the CFC benefited from your presence there? Fred posted what a great investment of the CFC's money it was to send you there.
          I should have my report to the executive and voting members done some time this weekend. There are few CFC members posting on Chesstalk.

Fide gave some additional travel allowances/incentives. Hotel and food was covered by the organizers. Beyond travel from home to Baku and back the only expense I had when there was the cost of taxis (between 10 and 12 manats with tip each time or 6 or 7 dollars U.S.) from the Boulevard Hotel where I stayed with the players and the Fairmont hotel where most of the FIDE meetings were held. I only had to travel one way because there were free buses from the hotels to the playing venue and back to the hotels.

I donated the organizer fees from NAYCC ($3 US per player times 349 players mandated by FIDE America) and playing up fees from the Canadian Open ($240) to the Olympiad fund both of which I organized. These along with the new FIDE allowances should cover the expense of sending me and yes the money was well spent.

On the second day before the FIDE meetings had started when they did not allow heads of delegation onto the playing floor and I could not see any of the Canadian games, and the buses back to the hotel were not yet running I walked back to the hotel from the playing venue about seven kilometers or so and that was the only period when I wasn't working on things to further the CFC agenda though I can report that I was thinking about them though I was quite pissed about not being able to do anything productive at that particular moment.

The team did great however I am sure with or without you would not have made any difference.
          Petty, petty.
          Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Sunday, 2nd October, 2016, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Very useful was to see in person the insidious efforts of the former Kasparov supporters to obstruct and disrupt what FIDE was doing and bend it to their own personal benefit. Particularly interesting was the day when the ECU spent several hours talking about the situation in Bulgaria which led to the expulsion of the Bulgarian Federation led by Silvio Danailov a staunch Kasparov supporter and part of the Kasparov team.

Also interesting was the report by Kirsan Illyumzhinov on the situation with the U.S. sanctions on him. Frankly the justification for the sanctions seems paper thin and that is why no other governments have jumped on board.

Comment

Kirsan's promises working out for the CFC Vlad? His promised $20,000,000
              What ever became of the 20k.

Comment

It worked out fine.
                Vlad,

What about the money promised by FIDE? Are you still hoping to get the money so organizers can use them for new GM norm tournaments?
                I don't organize tournaments and my son is already a GM so I don't have a personal interest in this.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                  Vlad,

What about the money promised by FIDE? Are you still hoping to get the money so organizers can use them for new GM norm tournaments?
                  I don't organize tournaments and my son is already a GM so I don't have a personal interest in this.
                  This was mentioned in Hal Bond's detailed report from the FIDE Congress, which is available for public viewing on the CFC Forum.

He says: "Acting President Giorgios Makropoulous advised the Assembly that Kirsan understood that he could not run for President in 2018 if this matter [US Sanctions, etc] was not resolved. It is worth noting at this point that no Presidential candidates for 2018 are visible. Kasparov is reportedly not interested, Kirsan is a question mark and no one else is making their intentions known. I also spoke to FIDE CEO Geoffrey Borg about Kirsan’s election promise to Canada. He is aware of our predicament and is hopeful for a solution in early 2017."

Comment

How are Kirsan's promises working out for the CFC Vlad?
                    It worked out fine.
                    Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                    This was mentioned in Hal Bond's detailed report from the FIDE Congress, which is available for public viewing on the CFC Forum.

He says: "Acting President Giorgios Makropoulous advised the Assembly that Kirsan understood that he could not run for President in 2018 if this matter [US Sanctions, etc] was not resolved. It is worth noting at this point that no Presidential candidates for 2018 are visible. Kasparov is reportedly not interested, Kirsan is a question mark and no one else is making their intentions known. I also spoke to FIDE CEO Geoffrey Borg about Kirsan’s election promise to Canada. He is aware of our predicament and is hopeful for a solution in early 2017."
                    This doesn’t sound “fine” to me. It sounds like a broken record.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                      Is the CFC happy the event is in Iran ? Obviously not.
                      Where there any other bids for FIDE to consider?

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                        Vlad,

I believe that we will see at least some of the money in the future if we play nice and continue to build relationships with FIDE. If we choose to burn our bridges then we will not see any of the money, ever.

If we had been faster out of the gate to organize the tournaments we would have already had more of the money but its hard to ask for the next installment when we haven't completed the first set of tournaments. By the time we had completed the first set with the events in Alberta which bailed us out from an embarassing situation of not having organized the tournaments we said we would, there were already problems at FIDE.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                          Where there any other bids for FIDE to consider?
                          There were no other bids.

Comment

Originally posted by VLAD Drkulec
                            Frankly the justification for the sanctions seems paper thin and that is why no other governments have jumped on board.
                            About the only thing that seems paper thin to me here is your brain for believing and accepting Kirsan's and FIDE's bullshit ...especially after they so far have stiffed the CFC and continue to hold chess tournaments in unacceptable venues such as Iran. Originally you posted here that the reason the CFC was stiffed was FIDE's tight finances. Now it is the CFC's fault for not organizing on time. Sounds to me like you are full of it Vlad. You should ask Kirsan how his application for US citizenship is coming along :-). Then ask yourself how you could take a person like this seriously?
                            Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Sunday, 2nd October, 2016, 09:36 PM.

Comment

You should ask Kirsan how his application for US citizenship is coming along :-). Then ask yourself how you could take a person like this seriously?
                              You should ask yourself why your candidate lost so convincingly. It wasn't because of calls from the Russian embassies or because the aliens controlled our minds. It had more to do with Danailov and Leong. It was because of well founded beliefs of federations around the world that Garry was not up to the task based on past performance and some of the people he was surrounding himself with. Attending the FIDE meetings and seeing the Kasparov team members in action showed me very clearly why he lost. In fact if the rumours are correct we will soon have an example of the idiocy of the Kasparov team in Canada which I will report at the appropriate time. Hopefully the rumours will not come to pass.

If Sinquefield had been running himself he probably would have won.

Comment

You should ask yourself why your candidate lost so convincingly. It wasn't because of calls from the Russian embassies or because the aliens controlled our minds. It had more to do with Danailov and Leong. It was because of well founded beliefs of federations around the world that Garry was not up to the task based on past performance and some of the people he was surrounding himself with. Attending the FIDE meetings and seeing the Kasparov team members in action showed me very clearly why he lost. In fact if the rumours are correct we will soon have an example of the idiocy of the Kasparov team in Canada which I will report at the appropriate time. Hopefully the rumours will not come to pass.

If Sinquefield had been running himself he probably would have won.
                                deleted deleted
                                Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Sunday, 2nd October, 2016, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X