Women will be forced to compete in hijabs at the next world championship in Iran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Women will be forced to compete in hijabs at the next world championship in Iran

Sid, the burkini does not cover the person's face. See https://mic.com/articles/152827/11-i...ful#.hH6JP9w3W. You are confusing it with the Burka.

I believe we will have to agree to disagree on this one. The Government of Iran has a bad record of its treatment of women. That I agree with. The imprisonment of Homa Hoodfar and the death of Zahra Kazemi are excellent reasons to denounce the tournament being held in Iran. The Hajib itself is not a reason.

The history of the Hajib in Iran is complex. Take a read of how Reza Shaw forcibly banned the Hajib in Iran in the 1930's and the reaction of the populance at that time (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijab_by_country#Iran).

Comment

Re: Women will be forced to compete in hijabs at the next world championship in Iran

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
      Sid, the burkini does not cover the person's face. See https://mic.com/articles/152827/11-i...ful#.hH6JP9w3W. You are confusing it with the Burka.

I believe we will have to agree to disagree on this one. The Government of Iran has a bad record of its treatment of women. That I agree with. The imprisonment of Homa Hoodfar and the death of Zahra Kazemi are excellent reasons to denounce the tournament being held in Iran. The Hajib itself is not a reason.

The history of the Hajib in Iran is complex. Take a read of how Reza Shaw forcibly banned the Hajib in Iran in the 1930's and the reaction of the populance at that time (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijab_by_country#Iran).
      Actually we are both wrong on this one. You are correct that the Burkini does not cover the face however France as a country has not banned this article of clothing, some mayors in France attempted to make a ban in their local areas and the highest court in France ruled this action illegal. http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/30/europe...n-burkini-ban/. I simply took you at your word that France had done this and found the idea inconceivable that such an action in France would have been done without a good reason and therefore incorrectly rationalized it.
      As far as the history goes I do not think that figures into it. No governing body should be telling a group of people what to wear one way or the other. I consider the mayors attempt in France as equally as outrageous as what goes on in Iran. The Hajib edict is just one of many oppressive indignities inflicted on women in fundamental Islamic countries such as Iran and Saudi Arabia that includes honor killings, no good defense for a women to charge a man criminally with rape, to even not allowing women to drive as is the case in Saudi Arabia. Women are severely beaten and even stoned to death for supposed infidelities. The Hajib edict is one that many women have decided to use as symbolic of their horrible oppression and I do not blame them. If you want to see atrocities committed by Islamic fundamentalists against women you tube has countless examples for the entire world to see.

You are correct, the Hajib in itself is not the issue, the many atrocities against women by the authors of this silly edict is.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        What happens if the women need to be searched for possible communication devices - can they refuse like what happened to a Montreal student recently? She was about to write an exam, and was asked to remove her hijab (or at least raise part of it) so her ears could be "searched" for devices. She refused and was denied the right to take the exam.

Article from today's "La Presse" (I can't find any English articles yet): http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/ed...-son-hijab.php
        Here is the coverage in today's Toronto Star (although the last time I linked to a current news article stuff happened):

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...show-ears.html
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
          Here is the coverage in today's Toronto Star (although the last time I linked to a current news article stuff happened):

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...show-ears.html
          "“Whether the student had a tuque, a hat, or lots of hair,” Legare said, the teacher had written in his course outline he would ask students to show him their ears, a policy she said was condoned by the biology department." (emphasis mine)

Strange choice of word as it makes the article rather ambiguous, imo.
          "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

I am in a minority of executive members who believe we should send a letter of protest to FIDE over the awarding of the WWC to Iran.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
              I am in a minority of executive members who believe we should send a letter of protest to FIDE over the awarding of the WWC to Iran.
              Good to see that not all of the CFC Executives are Kirsan's ass kissing sycophants.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
                Good to see that not all of the CFC Executives are Kirsan's ass kissing sycophants.
                Hey you smart one !

Why don't you make a bid to organize the tournament ? Or why don't the US make a bid ?

You guys know how to talk and criticize ONLY !

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post
                  Hey you smart one !

Why don't you make a bid to organize the tournament ? Or why don't the US make a bid ?

You guys know how to talk and criticize ONLY !
                  Gary: From Sid's comments, it is obvious that the powers in USA that could support FIDE events (and I'm not counting the upcoming World Championship match here) will not come forward and do so under the current FIDE regime.

Nothing more needs to be said on the matter.

Come back in 2018 and see what happens when a new (or possibly the same) FIDE Executive comes into power.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                    Gary: From Sid's comments, it is obvious that the powers in USA that could support FIDE events (and I'm not counting the upcoming World Championship match here) will not come forward and do so under the current FIDE regime.

Nothing more needs to be said on the matter.

Come back in 2018 and see what happens when a new (or possibly the same) FIDE Executive comes into power.
                    It's all about politics again which I am tired of it. If the US cannot or are not able to change the current regime, then it's too bad. Will the regime change in 2018 ? Nobody knows and if there is no change then they can continue to boycott......

Very very sad ....for chess

Comment

Great to read, thanks Ken.

Comment

I agree that would be an excellent idea... Very Canadian - a strongly worded letter I would hope! :)

If Qiyu and her parents are ok with the arrangements then we should wish them well...

if they decide to decline, it might be worth leveraging that to be more along the lines of
                        "Canada is boycotting this tournament"
                        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I would think that if more people/players/organizers can do more action in promoting chess in Canada or organizing more chess tournaments rather than protesting or talking will do a lot better for chess in Canada.

It's so easier to always criticize CFC ( right or wrong ) but how many people have really run for any positions and do the work in CFC ?

Talking and criticizing from your desk is so easy. :( . It's always CFC should do this and do that and do this and do that......

Even if CFC is not doing all the right thing and if you think you can do something better than CFC, set up something better than CFC and see if you can do a better job than CFC and people will support you. Otherwise, please just keep quiet.

This is such a sad scenario in a 1st world country like Canada. Can we not do better than this ?

People keep saying US has a big population and thus can have big tournaments and Canada must WAIT until we have their size of population before we can even think of doing big tournaments. So how many years should we wait ? 10 years, 20 years, 30 years or 50 years ?

Just think of it - we cant even have a really really good tournament in Canada and we are always squabbling with each other. Why not try to create something good for the society/community and promote chess in the right way. I like the way Larry Bevand ( CMA ) did for the past so many years. He left CFC but he is doing a very good thing for the community.

Comment

kudos to you! It is truly tragic to hear that is a minority view amongst the executive members...
                            University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post
                              I would think that if more people/players/organizers can do more action in promoting chess in Canada or organizing more chess tournaments rather than protesting or talking will do a lot better for chess in Canada.

It's so easier to always criticize CFC ( right or wrong ) but how many people have really run for any positions and do the work in CFC ?

Talking and criticizing from your desk is so easy. :( . It's always CFC should do this and do that and do this and do that......

Even if CFC is not doing all the right thing and if you think you can do something better than CFC, set up something better than CFC and see if you can do a better job than CFC and people will support you. Otherwise, please just keep quiet.
                              Bravo! But don't hold your breath.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Cormier View Post
                                kudos to you! It is truly tragic to hear that is a minority view amongst the executive members...
                                So it is your view that we should prevent our champion - who wants to play hijab and all - from playing despite her wishes.

I really hope if you wish to be internally consistant that you voted conservative in the last election when such opposition to the niquab and hijab and burka was labeled as racist by the media.

I took at least one course on cross cultural differences and international business in my undergrad days. I don't like the requirement but I believe if our representative wishes to go and accepts the requirement then a bunch of men on chesstalk or on the executive should not prevent her from going. If she is going we shouldn't be doing things which could cause her a problem. End of story.
                                Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Tuesday, 4th October, 2016, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X