Women will be forced to compete in hijabs at the next world championship in Iran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Women will be forced to compete in hijabs at the next world championship in Iran

Vlad, can you clarify why sending a letter of protest equals not allowing our player from playing? People participate in events under protest all the time.

PS: To be internally consistent with the stand that people have the right to choose what they can or cannot wear without being forbidden by any government, you would have had to vote NDP in the last election.

Comment

Re: Women will be forced to compete in hijabs at the next world championship in Iran

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
      Vlad, can you clarify why sending a letter of protest equals not allowing our player from playing? People participate in events under protest all the time.

PS: To be internally consistent with the stand that people have the right to choose what they can or cannot wear without being forbidden by any government, you would have had to vote NDP in the last election.
      Garland what i got from Vlad's post is that the CFC should not in anyway interfere with a players goal to attend a tournament regardless of the venue. I partially agree with this, however, the CFC should issue a protest if the venue is in a country where travel advisories have been issued where it is risky for players from countries such as the US and Canada to attend.

This is simply unfair to the player. The CFC should not represent that somehow through FIDE these dangers can be reduced as both Hal and Fred suggested. If the only bid was Iran then as FIDE has done in the past the tournament should be put on hold until an acceptable venue is found.

I still maintain that when Federations support a nutcase who thinks it is good idea to tell the world he has been abducted by aliens or that it is a good idea to have a World championship in a terrorist nation like Libya (just to name a few things) then it is inevitable that this is the type of problems that will come home to roost.

I have taken the liberty of posting the US travel advisory of Iran that warns of unjust incarcerations that has nothing to do with risks of being attacked by the locals. Canadians are unfortunately in the same boat stemming back to the Canadian rescue of Americans in 1979 that has created acrimonious relationships between the two countries to this day. I have also posted the Canadian Governments warning about this.

Canadian Warning
      Last updated: September 14, 2016 11:07 ET

Still valid: October 4, 2016 23:45 ET

Latest updates: The Health tab was updated - travel health notices (Public Health Agency of Canada).

Risk level(s)Safety and securityEntry/exit requirementsHealthLaws and cultureNatural disasters and climateAssistance

Safety and security

Canadians in Iran may be closely watched by Iranian authorities. Seemingly innocuous behaviours, such as the use of cameras in public places, travel beyond well-established tourist attractions or casual interactions with Iranian friends, may be misinterpreted and may lead to investigation. Canadians, particularly dual Canadian-Iranian citizens, may be arbitrarily questioned, arrested and detained.

US Warning

The Department of State warns U.S. citizens of the risks of travel to Iran. This replaces the Travel Warning for Iran dated March 14, 2016, to reiterate and highlight the risk of arrest and detention of U.S. citizens, particularly dual national Iranian-Americans. Foreigners, in particular dual nationals of Iran and Western countries including the United States, continue to be detained or prevented from leaving Iran. U.S. citizens traveling to Iran should very carefully weigh the risks of travel and consider postponing their travel. U.S. citizens residing in Iran should closely follow media reports, monitor local conditions, and evaluate the risks of remaining in the country.

Iranian authorities continue to unjustly detain and imprison U.S. citizens, particularly Iranian-Americans, including students, journalists, business travelers, and academics, on charges including espionage and posing a threat to national security. Iranian authorities have also prevented the departure, in some cases for months, of a number of Iranian-American citizens who traveled to Iran for personal or professional reasons. U.S. citizens traveling to Iran should very carefully weigh the risks of travel and consider postponing their travel. U.S. citizens residing in Iran should closely follow media reports, monitor local conditions, and evaluate the risks of remaining in the country.

The U.S. government does not have diplomatic or consular relations with the Islamic Republic of Iran and therefore cannot provide protection or routine consular services to U.S. citizens in Iran. The Swiss government, acting through its Embassy in Tehran, serves as protecting power for U.S. interests in Iran.The range of consular services provided by the Foreign Interests Section at the Swiss Embassy is limited and may require significantly more processing time than at U.S. embassies or consulates.

The Iranian government does not recognize dual citizenship and will not allow the Swiss to provide protective services for U.S. citizens who are also Iranian nationals. The Iranian authorities make the determination of a dual national’s Iranian citizenship without regard to the dual national’s personal wishes. Consular access to detained U.S. citizens without dual nationality is often denied as well.

The Iranian government continues to repress some minority religious and ethnic groups, including Christians, Baha'i, Arabs, Kurds, Azeris, and others. Consequently, some areas within the country where these minorities reside, including the Baluchistan border area near Pakistan and Afghanistan, the Kurdish northwest of the country, and areas near the Iraqi border, remain unsafe. Iranian authorities have detained and harassed U.S. citizens, particularly those of Iranian origin. Former Muslims who have converted to other religions, religious activists, and persons who encourage Muslims to convert are subject to arrest and prosecution.

The U.S. government is concerned about the risks to civil aircraft operating into, out of, within, or over Iran due to hazards from military activity associated with the conflicts in Iraq and Syria. The FAA has advised U.S. civil aviation to exercise caution when flying into, out of, within, or over the airspace over Iran. For further background information regarding FAA flight prohibitions and advisories for U.S. civil aviation, U.S. citizens should consult the Federal Aviation Administration’s Prohibitions, Restrictions and Notices.

The U.S. government’s ability to assist U.S. citizens in Iran in the event of an emergency is extremely limited. U.S. citizens in Iran should ensure that they have updated documentation at all times and make their own plans in the event of an emergency. For more information, see "What the Department of State Can and Can't Do in a Crisis" at the Department's website.
      Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Tuesday, 4th October, 2016, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post

Our representative Qiyu Zhou is choosing to wear the hijab to respect the culture of the host nation. Nazí Paikidze the U.S. representative has a very different perspective and I do respect that perspective. She should not be forced to wear a hijab if she doesn't want to wear a hijab. My job and the job of the rest of the executive is to represent the interests of the CFC and our player Qiyu Zhou. I suspect that most of the women who are eligible to participate would prefer that a tournament is held in 2017. Nazi is asking that the tournament be postponed until an acceptable alternative is found. It would probably be more accurate that the tournament will be cancelled if her proposal is accepted. There is no indication that an acceptable alternative is anywhere on the horizon.

Nigel Short one of the protest leaders spent time in Iran training a number of the young Iranian players. He wrote that he was relieved when his tour of duty ended as he was uncomfortable with the religious police who harassed him at times if I am understanding what he said. He made a choice to put up with that when he signed up to coach the young players presumably for compensation.

I suspect that if a vote of the women eligible to play in this tournament were held that most will elect to play in the tournament.
        Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Wednesday, 5th October, 2016, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
          Garland what i got from Vlad's post is that the CFC should not in anyway interfere with a players goal to attend a tournament regardless of the venue. I partially agree with this, however, the CFC should issue a protest if the venue is in a country where travel advisories have been issued where it is risky for players from countries such as the US and Canada to attend.
          I just watched a debate where the Democratic candidate for vice president told us how Hillary personally pulled the teeth of the Iranians and ensured that peace will prevail. He even claimed that Israel signed off on the Iran nuclear deal which seems at odds with what Benjamin Netanyahu said on television in his last appearances.

This is simply unfair to the player. The CFC should not represent that somehow through FIDE these dangers can be reduced as both Hal and Fred suggested. If the only bid was Iran then as FIDE has done in the past the tournament should be put on hold until an acceptable venue is found.
          I don't think Hal or Fred said that. I share your misgivings in general on this situation.

I still maintain that when Federations support a nutcase who thinks it is good idea to tell the world he has been abducted by aliens or that it is a good idea to have a World championship in a terrorist nation like Libya (just to name a few things) then it is inevitable that this is the type of problems that will come home to roost.
          Kirsan had little to nothing to do with this one as I believe he was wandering the playing hall when this announcement of the offer from Iran to hold this tournament occurred.

I have taken the liberty of posting the US travel advisory of Iran that warns of unjust incarcerations that has nothing to do with risks of being attacked by the locals. Canadians are unfortunately in the same boat stemming back to the Canadian rescue of Americans in 1979 that has created acrimonious relationships between the two countries to this day. I have also posted the Canadian Governments warning about this.

Canadian Warning
          Last updated: September 14, 2016 11:07 ET

Still valid: October 4, 2016 23:45 ET

Latest updates: The Health tab was updated - travel health notices (Public Health Agency of Canada).

Risk level(s)Safety and securityEntry/exit requirementsHealthLaws and cultureNatural disasters and climateAssistance

Safety and security

Canadians in Iran may be closely watched by Iranian authorities. Seemingly innocuous behaviours, such as the use of cameras in public places, travel beyond well-established tourist attractions or casual interactions with Iranian friends, may be misinterpreted and may lead to investigation. Canadians, particularly dual Canadian-Iranian citizens, may be arbitrarily questioned, arrested and detained.

US Warning

The Department of State warns U.S. citizens of the risks of travel to Iran. This replaces the Travel Warning for Iran dated March 14, 2016, to reiterate and highlight the risk of arrest and detention of U.S. citizens, particularly dual national Iranian-Americans. Foreigners, in particular dual nationals of Iran and Western countries including the United States, continue to be detained or prevented from leaving Iran. U.S. citizens traveling to Iran should very carefully weigh the risks of travel and consider postponing their travel. U.S. citizens residing in Iran should closely follow media reports, monitor local conditions, and evaluate the risks of remaining in the country.

Iranian authorities continue to unjustly detain and imprison U.S. citizens, particularly Iranian-Americans, including students, journalists, business travelers, and academics, on charges including espionage and posing a threat to national security. Iranian authorities have also prevented the departure, in some cases for months, of a number of Iranian-American citizens who traveled to Iran for personal or professional reasons. U.S. citizens traveling to Iran should very carefully weigh the risks of travel and consider postponing their travel. U.S. citizens residing in Iran should closely follow media reports, monitor local conditions, and evaluate the risks of remaining in the country.

The U.S. government does not have diplomatic or consular relations with the Islamic Republic of Iran and therefore cannot provide protection or routine consular services to U.S. citizens in Iran. The Swiss government, acting through its Embassy in Tehran, serves as protecting power for U.S. interests in Iran.The range of consular services provided by the Foreign Interests Section at the Swiss Embassy is limited and may require significantly more processing time than at U.S. embassies or consulates.

The Iranian government does not recognize dual citizenship and will not allow the Swiss to provide protective services for U.S. citizens who are also Iranian nationals. The Iranian authorities make the determination of a dual national’s Iranian citizenship without regard to the dual national’s personal wishes. Consular access to detained U.S. citizens without dual nationality is often denied as well.

The Iranian government continues to repress some minority religious and ethnic groups, including Christians, Baha'i, Arabs, Kurds, Azeris, and others. Consequently, some areas within the country where these minorities reside, including the Baluchistan border area near Pakistan and Afghanistan, the Kurdish northwest of the country, and areas near the Iraqi border, remain unsafe. Iranian authorities have detained and harassed U.S. citizens, particularly those of Iranian origin. Former Muslims who have converted to other religions, religious activists, and persons who encourage Muslims to convert are subject to arrest and prosecution.

The U.S. government is concerned about the risks to civil aircraft operating into, out of, within, or over Iran due to hazards from military activity associated with the conflicts in Iraq and Syria. The FAA has advised U.S. civil aviation to exercise caution when flying into, out of, within, or over the airspace over Iran. For further background information regarding FAA flight prohibitions and advisories for U.S. civil aviation, U.S. citizens should consult the Federal Aviation Administration’s Prohibitions, Restrictions and Notices.

The U.S. government’s ability to assist U.S. citizens in Iran in the event of an emergency is extremely limited. U.S. citizens in Iran should ensure that they have updated documentation at all times and make their own plans in the event of an emergency. For more information, see "What the Department of State Can and Can't Do in a Crisis" at the Department's website.
          Everything you say above is absolutely true and correct. If Qiyu decided to go to a different tournament in a safer country instead I am sure that we could arrange a support package for that tournament in lieu of heading to Iran as the women's champion from Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
            Everything you say above is absolutely true and correct. If Qiyu decided to go to a different tournament in a safer country instead I am sure that we could arrange a support package for that tournament in lieu of heading to Iran as the women's champion from Canada.
            A very nice decision. Too often the decision to boycott is taken at the political level without any input from the athletes involved. Letting her decide is the best decision because she has won the right to represent Canada at the World Championship.

It should be noted that FIDE has a rule that can be used to force the player to wear sponsorized clothes ( FIDE has exclusive commercial rights to the event and is free to exploit them commercially, including entering into
            advertisement agreements either with the Organisers or Sponsors of the tournament requiring players to wear clothes with the branding of sponsors.). The rule does not limit the nature of the clothes that the players can be compelled to wear. We got strong reactions because hijab is a religious clothing and religion is always a very sensible topic. If a player had refused to wear a Mosanto sponsored clothing in the USA, the debate would have been very different.

FIDE can protect the players because they should stay at the official hotel. (For security and administrative reasons, all participants are expected to stay in the officially designated hotel(s).) Off course, the players are not held hostage in their hotel, but in Iran, I would remain quietly in the hotel.

Comment

Hijabs &c

October 5, 2016

Wikipedia has an objective up-to-date discussion of the Women’s World Chess Championship 2017 with these headings:

Disputes about the Iranian Locale

The Hijab (headscarf) and Related Difficulties

Qualified Participants

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wome...mpionship_2017

The participants from the Americas are:

Irina Krush, Katerina Nemcova, Nazi Paikidze (all USA), Qiyu Zhou (Canada), Deysi Cori (Peru), Carolina Lujan (Argentina) and Yaniet Marrero Lopez & Maritza Arribas Robaina (both Cuba).

Among the other qualifiers are Sopiko Giri/Guramishvili and Elisabeth Paehtz.

I am not sure if I am seeing a difference of opinion here between Susan Polgar and Nazi Paikidze about wearing the Hijab.

Comment

Hijabs, Iran and Ilyumzhinov

November 1, 2016

From the FIDE site:

Visit of FIDE President to Tehran, Iran

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov arrived in Tehran on October 24. The next day, he spoke live on Central Television in Iran, after which he held talks with the President of the Iran Chess Federation, Mehrdad Pahlevanzadeh.

The highlight of the visit was the participation of Kirsan Ilyumzhinov in the opening of two international chess events: the Children's Championship and the Tournament of the Towns.

The FIDE president spoke with reporters of Tasnim News Agency. In replying to the question of how he relates to the need to wear hijabs by women chess players, Ilyumzhinov said: "There are 188 members in FIDE, each of them has the right to hold chess competitions. All these countries have their own laws and customs, under which the tournaments are held. FIDE adheres to the belief that these laws should be respected."

http://www.fide.com/component/conten...hran-iran.html

Comment

Working...
                X