Games of the Carlsen-Karjakin W.C.C. Match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Games of the Carlsen-Karjakin W.C.C. Match

I would agree with a return to the 24 game format with draw odds to the champion. But as I recall, this ended when FIDE in its wisdom (???) refused to give those odds to Fischer. That, plus other demands refused, gave Bobby the excuse to cut and run rather than face Karpov.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
      I would agree with a return to the 24 game format with draw odds to the champion. But as I recall, this ended when FIDE in its wisdom (???) refused to give those odds to Fischer. That, plus other demands refused, gave Bobby the excuse to cut and run rather than face Karpov.
      I think it was removed before that, maybe even as far back as the Petrosian-Botvinnik match. I also recall that Fischer wanted the challenger being required to win by two games or something like that?? Our experts will tell us!

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Kerry Liles brought up that 24 games may be too long. The Kasparov-Kramnik match in 2000 featured a 16 game match with draw odds to the champion. Would this be a more reasonable match length?

Another suggestion that MAGNUS himself brought up in an interview I saw last year (I am sorry I do not remember the circumstances surrounding it) is to have a Yearly or Bi-Yearly double round robin tournament with the top 10 players. Winner is world champion.
        Last edited by Taylor Waite; Tuesday, 29th November, 2016, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor Waite View Post
          Thanks for the input guys. Kerry Liles brought up that 24 games may be too long. The Kasparov-Kramnik match in 2000 featured a 16 game match with draw odds to the champion. Would this be a more reasonable match length?

Another suggestion that MAGNUS himself brought up in an interview I saw last year (I am sorry I do not remember the circumstances surrounding it) is to have a Yearly or Bi-Yearly double round robin tournament with the top 10 players. Winner is world champion.
          There is an article in Chessbase today by Yasser Seirawan ( http://en.chessbase.com/post/seirawa...c2016-new-york ) where he too complains about the situation. He was looking at a compromise of 18 games if I recall. In any case, the fundamental dispute is about how to deal with the situation of a tied match or tied result in a round-robin tournament. The length of the match or the number of top players in the RR and similar questions are (to me) less important than what to do about a tie.
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Games of the Carlsen-Karjakin W.C.C. Match

November 29, 2016

From August 2015 - Magnus Carlsen proposes changes in World Chess Championship cycle

http://forum.chesstalk.com/showthrea...ses-changes-in

Comment

Seirawan's proposition is indeed radical. Play 12 games and if the score is 6-6, play one additional game and the player with black has draw odds. Flip a coin before the match to determine the colors in that extra game.

Obvious advantage: classical chess champion is determined by classical chess games. The guy with white in the extra game knows he's better play for a win, because having black in the extra game is quite an advantage.

What I profoundly dislike: challenger gets the extra black, he draws 13 games and becomes world champion. Try to explain that to the media.

IMO, this proposition makes sense only if the defending champion has the extra black. As he is 'defending' the title, I like the image of him having to hold the fort with black in an ultimate game.

It's better than draw odds, no phony rapid or blitz games. I could live with that (with my extra proposition)

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
                Seirawan's proposition is indeed radical. Play 12 games and if the score is 6-6, play one additional game and the player with black has draw odds. Flip a coin before the match to determine the colors in that extra game.

Obvious advantage: classical chess champion is determined by classical chess games. The guy with white in the extra game knows he's better play for a win, because having black in the extra game is quite an advantage.

What I profoundly dislike: challenger gets the extra black, he draws 13 games and becomes world champion. Try to explain that to the media.

IMO, this proposition makes sense only if the defending champion has the extra black. As he is 'defending' the title, I like the image of him having to hold the fort with black in an ultimate game.

It's better than draw odds, no phony rapid or blitz games. I could live with that (with my extra proposition)

You wouldn't actually need the 13th game. Let the 12th game be the one that decides, and defending champion gets Black in that game.

So if the score going in to game 12 was 5.5 to 5.5, Black (defending champion) just has to draw and the championship is his although the score is tied 6-6.

If the score going in to game 12 was 5.0 to 6.0 for defending champion, again, he just has to draw with Black and wins (but this time in the total score also).

And if the score going in to game 12 was 6.0 to 5.0 for challenger, a draw wins the challenger the championship by total score.

If the spread in the score was anything greater than 1.0 points (i.e. 6.5 to 4.5), there wouldn't be a game 12.

For a moment I was wondering: as an alternative to all that.... why not allow co-champions?

But it wouldn't avoid the problem. Because if a given year has co-champions, then the next cycle must produce 2 challengers, one to play each co-champion. Winners of those matches meet for WC. But the two semifinal matches each MUST produce a single winner. So those 2 matches must have a way to break ties.
                Only the rushing is heard...
                Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                  You wouldn't actually need the 13th game. Let the 12th game be the one that decides, and defending champion gets Black in that game.
                  Well, the idea would be to counterbalance the champion's advantage of draw odds (as in the old system), by having him play an extra game with black. Hence game 13. So the champion still starts the match with a small advantage, but not as much as draw odds. And the challenger will have all the much needed motivation to play for a win at some point.

As it is, with these 12 games matches and rapid tiebreaks, you sometime feel like both players are just happy with draws. Which shouldn't be the case. Seirawan's proposal takes care of that, without giving too much of an advantage to the defending champion.

Comment

If the score going in to game 12 was 5.0 to 6.0 for defending champion, again, he just has to draw with Black and wins (but this time in the total score also).
                    Also, what happens if the challenger wins? Score is 6-6 and you can't give the challenger the title on that?

Comment

Everyone is overlooking the best tiebreaking alternative: POKER DICE!!! Best two out of three rolls takes the title. : /
                      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Also, what happens if the challenger wins? Score is 6-6 and you can't give the challenger the title on that?
                        Right, so there wouldn't be a Game 12 if the score was 6.0-5.0 for the defending champion after 11 games.

But let's say they did have Game 12 with that score... so the challenger wins and sends the match to Game 13 because it's 6-6.

Then they draw Game 13 and they give the title to the defending champion? That will do wonders for chess becoming a sport.
                        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                          Everyone is overlooking the best tiebreaking alternative: POKER DICE!!! Best two out of three rolls takes the title. : /

Oh, even better, best 7 out of 13! And because of the mental exhaustion, spread the rolling of the dice over 2 days, with a rest day in between.
                          Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Right, so there wouldn't be a Game 12 if the score was 6.0-5.0 for the defending champion after 11 games.
                            And with that information in hand, I can safely confirm that your brand new system is exactly the same as giving draw odds to the champion. ;)

Congratulation, sir! Yet again, you managed to take something pretty simple and straightforward and you formulated it in an unecessary convoluted way. You really have a talent for that, by the way.

But let's say they did have Game 12 with that score... so the challenger wins and sends the match to Game 13 because it's 6-6.

Then they draw Game 13 and they give the title to the defending champion? That will do wonders for chess becoming a sport.
                            Big difference here is that the challenger gets to play 7 games with white, while the champion only had 6. That doesn't negate the draw odds advantage completely, but that certainly minimizes it in an elegant way.

Comment

Big difference here is that the challenger gets to play 7 games with white, while the champion only had 6. That doesn't negate the draw odds advantage completely, but that certainly minimizes it in an elegant way.
                              Actually you can't draw a conclusion about that. No studies have been done.

Here's what you'd have to do: have many, many games -- let's say 1000 as a minimum -- between players of roughly equal strength, maybe within 50 ELO points, with both players being over let's say 2600 or 2700. The lower rated player is considered the challenger and gets White. The conditions of the match are this: this single game is considered a match, which must have a winner. The winner of the match gets a substantially bigger prize than the loser, and in fact, the loser barely gets enough to make the match worth his or her while. This is to emulate the benefits of BECOMING (but not already being) WC. Both players need to be very VERY highly motivated to win the match, to the point where drawing the game (losing the match) is like.... well, pick your poison.

So let's say loser gets $200, winner gets $5,000. White must win the game to win the match, otherwise Black wins the match.

You might find under those conditions that White may win the majority of matches, maybe even a substantial majority. Or not. We don't know, because of the sheer rarity where those conditions have existed for a single game between elite players (or any players, for that matter). In fact, I doubt those conditions have ever existed. Game 12 of this WC match didn't have those conditions: Karjakin could draw and still have a roughly equal chance to win the match.

Actually, this would be a very interesting direction for someone with lots of sponsorship connections (Jean Hebert? :D) to take to grow interest in chess. Bring together various big-name players, very close in rating, and maybe even where the challenger is known to play for blood on the board and the "champion" (higher rated player, who will be Black) is known for playing very solidly. Put this single game on TV or internet, with even bigger prize money at stake (but not too much bigger for the match loser).

Hmmmmm.... I seem to remember the organizer of Linares back in the early 1990's used to offer incentives for players to play for a win, with either White or Black. How much was that incentive, and did it have any effect? Still not the same as what I'm proposing here, but maybe the closest thing.

I think what I'm proposing here would have YUGE upside potential for generating worldwide interest, and even for generating a profit if live coverage of the match were charged for as with Agon in this match.

Who would everyone like to see matched up in such an all-or-nothing game?
                              Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Actually you can't draw a conclusion about that. No studies have been done. [...]
                                Sorry Paul, but your post doesn't address the quote you took from my post in any way or form.

And you conveniently left out the part where I point out that your elucubrations about a revolutionary 12 games match format just end up exactly like giving draw odds to the champion. So... I take it that we agree your new format is just useless verbiage for 'draw odds'.

Comment

Working...
                                X