Idea for Toronto Chess Tournament August 24,25,26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea for Toronto Chess Tournament August 24,25,26

I am organizing an air force veterans reunion August 23 to 26 at the Toronto Sheraton Airport Hotel, which also includes a golf tournament on August 24 open to public. It occurred to me today that I have enough event space for a chess tournament as well to compliment the weekend.

Would this weekend conflict with any other chess tournaments in the GTA area
    ?

Is there still enough time to advertise the tournament
    ?

Would need a CFC tournament director to help organize the event. Format could be 6 round swiss 2 games each day perhaps around $119 entry, $5000 prize fund depending on TD and rating costs.

As part of events occurring at same time could provide complimentary hors d'oeuvres on Thursday evening meet and greet, and a complimentary Sheraton buffet dinner on Friday evening (along with golfers). Coffee, Juice, Water provided outside chess playing room all days.

Also have 30 rooms at Sheraton for rate of $130 single or double occupancy plus taxes. Parking is $10 a day. TTC and Union Pearson Express go to airport , free shuttle bus from Airport to Sheraton hotel every 30 minutes.

There is not much time to get this off the ground so looking for as much feedback as possible on the idea.

Thanks

David

Re: Idea for Toronto Chess Tournament August 24,25,26

From a player's perspective, it sounds great.
    From an organizer's perspective, what is the expectation of a rental fee for the chess tournament space? That is usually the biggest expense at a chess tournament.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

There will be the Labour Day Open on the long weekend (one week before Aug 24).

Aug 24 is Friday - some players will need to take a bye to come to the evening round or full-day off.

Comment

Paul, I had requested an extra room (which turned out to be a medium sized ball room ) for the veterans to utilize for playing games assuming people might just want to stay at the hotel and socialize after travelling. This was a new feature for these reunions. Only a few have signed up for the games (we also have golf and horse racing outings which were popular). There is also a giant ball room ( seats 450 , 6 per round table) that can be divided into 4 good sized rooms, one of which could be used for skittles and socializing. So all the event space is taken care, however, I do need to ensure a certain amount of food is eaten over the weekend, could be extra bonus for the players.
        Last edited by David Lyall; Tuesday, 29th May, 2018, 06:18 PM. Reason: Clarification on size of room

Comment

Sounds like a great idea and I’m sure you’ll find interested parties. I for one would consider playing as I’m also serving in the RCAF as well

Comment

John, that's great to hear, how much do you normally pay for a tournament these days, I recall paying $80 or many years ago when I used to play in North Bay. Planning to have RCAF memorabilia in the foyer outside the chess room, there would also be opportunities to interact with veterans who have served on the DEW line who may also be curious spectators to the chess. Tentative name is Foxtrot Tango Golf and Chess Tournament.

Comment

Would GTA players attend as warm up to labour day tournament? If have other (non chess) plans on Labour day weekend could still get play chess the week before.

Comment

Most tournaments range around 50-80. I think the Golden Horseshoe tournament is $120 but that comes with a larger prize pool. Your best bet is to find an organizer and TD, as it seems you have the venue down. People will come, players will always find chess tournaments.

Comment

Hamilton Open should be on the same weekend

Comment

120 should be the onsite price for Golden Horseshoe , people registered early especially the lower rating section paying much lower, 45 or 65 something like that

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Guo View Post
                      Hamilton Open should be on the same weekend
                      Yes. Hamilton Open will be Aug 25-26.

Comment

John thanks for the thought, do you know any TD and /or organizer that could do the job? I have been away from chess for several years.

Comment

I really only know Guelph. Hal Bond is the man there. As for other clubs I can’t say. I’ve been spotty with tournaments myself due to work schedule. Another idea is running rapid/blitz time controls so if players prefer that they can choose your tournament and if they prefer standard they can choose Hamilton Open. That way it would de-conflict the interests and keep both tournaments on the same dates. Toronto Blitz Championships usually gets a pretty good turnout running a 3+2 time control.

Comment

John thanks for tip, different time control to differentiate, Hal Bond sounds familiar is there a way to contact him? Are the blitz tournaments rated?

Comment

Hal is on Chesstalk and also his contact info is on his Guelph tournament listings if you look up one it’ll be in there. Blitz and Active can be rated as an Active rating which is different from standard rating.

Comment

Working...
                              X