$10,000 Bursary Program!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $10,000 Bursary Program!

After months of consultation, the Chess'n Math Association, Canada's National Scholastic Chess Organization, will be launching a bursary program for young Canadian chessplayers. The first version will be for the 2018-19 school year and it will include all tournaments in Canada that are rated with us.

Full details will be released on August 15, 2018 and the program takes effect September 1, 2018.

Larry Bevand
    Executive Director
    Chess'n Math Association
    Last edited by Larry Bevand; Wednesday, 8th August, 2018, 03:40 PM.

That's great!! You used to (still do?) give Bursaries to youth who made international titles. I was wondering if there is a hall of fame list of those masters who made their way up the ranks of the annual CMA chess challenges.

Comment

Hi Erik,

We had to put an end to that program when FIDE started giving out titles for very little in terms of accomplishment. At the time that this CMA program existed, a player who became a Grandmaster before the age of 18, would receive $7,000 from the Chess'n Math Association (CMA). An IM title (I don't remember what the age requirement was) was worth $2,000 and a National Master title (Again I do not remember the age requirement) $1,000. ! So a player could potentially earn $10,000. This was all paid in cash. (a cheque actually)..no gift certificates :). That will also be the case with the program we are launching next week.

Grandmaster Mark Bluvstein took home the most while the program existed...$9,000!

A hall of fame is a great idea...I will have to go back in history :)

Since then we have been thinking about establishing a new program that makes sense in the world of today. We will unvail the new program on August 15, 2018. We hope to continue the program for years to come...and no doubt people will suggest, over the next year, how we can make it better. All feedback is more than welcome!

Thanks for your comments!

Larry
      Last edited by Larry Bevand; Wednesday, 8th August, 2018, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Progress for BC juniors is very much dependent on being able to travel to the big events in central Canada. My suggestion would be to help with travel costs for deserving players.
        Paul Leblanc
        Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Hi Paul,

I think we have addressed some of that with this program.

Someone has approached us, and is interested in sponsoring a couple of the bursaries....gee what a great idea! Naturally their name will be attached to the prize (s). If this is something that interests you, please contact me at bevand at chess-math dot org. Chess'n Math would be overjoyed to have you as a partner in the program!

Our program (developed by Guillaume Richard in collaboration with our many collaborators) is now available on-line:

https://chess-math.org/2018-2019-cma...llence-program

Larry
          Last edited by Larry Bevand; Tuesday, 21st August, 2018, 09:38 AM.

Comment

This is the final version of the program which goes into effect on Saturday.

Good luck to everyone!

https://chess-math.org/2018-2019-cma...llence-program

We will be posting standings on Jan 1, 2019, April 30, 2019 and June 30 2019

Larry

Comment

Larry, got two questions on the program
              - Who will be the voters? I am assuming it's the CMA board members
              - Does the "Player of the year" normination procedure also apply to the "Female player of the year"?

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                This is the final version of the program which goes into effect on Saturday.
                You have a stricter condition than for the Olympic team - 20 games vs 25 (ON and QC even more 30) LOL

Comment

Working...
                X