2019 NAYCC - Kingston Ontario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 NAYCC - Kingston Ontario

Organized by the Chess'n Math Association for the CFC : Yes the event is happening in Kingston Ontario from Aug 16 - 20 2019 at Queen's University. My gang has told me to move my butt and get the advertisement with details posted...so by Jan 1, 2019...I will give you the link with all the info....honestly...we have a great venue (with a vue of Lake Ontario) hotel rates like you can not believe...you will be able to reserve on the University site beginning Jan 15, 2019...honestly...reserve early...we have blocked off 200 rooms...that will not satisfy everyone...

Larry, this looks like it has potential for being an amazing event! I have been talking it up at the Kingston Chess Club for a couple of weeks before Christmas, since you first announced it. VERY IMPORTANT to understand: Kingston hosts major international sailing regattas for most of August, when its winds are strong and reliable, and these events also claim huge amounts of hotel and university dorm space. The city is also super-busy with its mainstream tourism, which has been growing. So, when it comes to accommodation, your event may have some challenges. You need to interact with the Tourism Kingston organization, which has been building up its sports tourism potential. It would be good if you and I could be in touch regularly on this. Best wishes and Happy New Year for 2019, Frank Dixon, NTD, Kingston

Comment

Thanks Frank!

You are right! Kingston is a great tourist destination. While I love your city, I had not thought of it as a venue for this event...until Vadim Tyspin, who is on the CMA Executive (a really bright fellow who is great at thinking outside the box) came up with this plan.

Queen's has some incredibly modern residence (can you imagine being a University student with a flat screen TV in your room...and a private bathroom...ohhhllala...new buildings located right beside Lake Ontario...lots of room for kids to run around...

Negotiating with Queen's was not easy...basically they had a take it or leave it attitude...at the last minute they reduced our financial obligations and then Tourism Kingston came in and sweetened the pot (Thanks to Vlad and Fred for making the connection for us)....I know Vlad is doing the accounting on this...basically Tourism Kingston came up with $5,000 which pays for the tournament room rental...which is something that we should not have had to pay anyway as we are bringing nice dollars to Queen's...but I digress...

You can find the official communiqué from Tourism Kingston at:

https://chess-math.org/blog/2019-nor...-championships

Yes I want to work with the Kingston Chess Community on this project!

You have always been helpful in the past and I will certainly reach out to you once I get my act together :)

Thanks

Larry
      Last edited by Larry Bevand; Thursday, 27th December, 2018, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Larry, this all sounds very impressive! I am a Queen's University graduate, and as an undergraduate, back in the day, spent my first two years there living in the exact residence area you described, although the new buildings there are much more recent. It is very nice, to be sure, and there is also a wonderful waterfront park, recently renovated and expanded, right across the street! If you don't mind me asking, what hall at Queen's has been obtained as the playing site for the event? Just trying to get a feel for the logistics, since Queen's has had some problems in providing good., well-equipped playing halls for large chess events in recent years (2016 University teams, for example). Cheers, Frank

Comment

Larry, if you can get the Leonard Hall cafeteria as the playing site for this event, that would work very well. It is probably large enough, has tables and chairs in place, and it is right there, a one-minute walk from accommodation. It looks out onto the lake. But it may be used for serving meals for people staying over the summer period in the residences. There is another large dining hall close by, the Ban Righ Hall cafeteria, which could work as well. I don't know if the university keeps both open during the summer; a number of years ago it was only Ban Righ open in the summer. Victoria Hall, another nearby residence, has a large basement room.

Comment

Hi Frank,

I am not aware of the hall you mentioned. We booked the Eliza S Gordon Hall....it is really beautiful...about 9,000 sq ft...a view like I last saw when I was in Victoria B.C. Included in the contract is space for parents within the same building. Deans of Women Tower Lounge Levena Room and Courtyard and Elispeth Baugh Fireside.

Larry

Comment

Hi Larry:

Yes, this hall you refer to, the Eliza S. Gordon, is one of those I was referring to in my previous post. It was the first established for that purpose on Queen's campus; part of the building dates from 1923. I think it will be fine. Tables and chairs already in place, for ease of chess organization, and it is an attractive setting. There is another fairly large dining hall downstairs in the same building, which is likely the one you refer to for parents' use.

Cheers,
              Frank

Comment

Hello Larry,

Are there new details on this event?

Thank you.

Comment

We found a couple of glitches with the online registration :(...I am being told all will work properly by tomorrow and I will post the link here at that time.

Thank you for your patience!

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Li View Post
                    Hello Larry,

Are there new details on this event?

Thank you.
                    They tell me everything works now :)...here is the link ...

https://chess-math.org/2019-north-am...-championships

Comment

when does registration start?

Comment

Originally posted by Henri Hughes View Post
                        when does registration start?
                        Started :)

Comment

I hate trying to read faint gray rather than black text.

For Quebec players, first FIDE ratings used, than CFC. No mention of using a higher FQE or CMA, which may be more accurate as from recent events.

So local players, and players not staying in residence MUST purchase the $120 meal plan?

Is there a definition of official players?

Is there a late for round time forfeit?

If a player registers early, can they later withdraw (sickness, family emergency) and get a refund?

Will equipment and score sheets be provided?

Would be nice to have a map and link to Tourism Kingston. Where in hell is Kingston?

Comment

I agree...that grey background is horrible.

Comment

Well, the demand has been awesome for lodging at the University. We have been able to get an extra 50 rooms at a nearby hotel...first come first serve...it looks like lodging in Kingston is going to be hard to find...please reserve now...in most cases you can cancel up until the last minute...you do not want to have to drive 50km every day.

We have also made changes with regards to the meal package thanks to input that we received..

Our site has been updated:

https://chess-math.org/2019-north-am...-championships

Comment

Working...
                              X