Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Few personal notes about Canadian Closed

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
    Kevin's very harsh words are not completely out of order, because of course nothing is perfect. Internet coverage could of course have gone smoother, and media attention could have been greater along with a hosts of smaller details. However one thing is certain. The top GMs who played this year and the years before like the city and the conditions (this includes the money), otherwise they would not come back.

That might be one of the real reasons why Kevin is so sour: he has never been invited to the party. As they say: "I either want less corruption, or more chance to participate in it." In this case it would be: "I want a better tournament, or a chance to play in it".
    All the GM who requested it were located in the same Hotel near the tournament and paid by Empressa who also paid plane tickets and extra money.

And I had nothing to pay to watch the games lives with a GM commenting it!!!

Incredible! Even if F1 in Montreal Grand-Prix was free I would have only 3 days of free pleasure.

Carl

Comment

At the FIDE congress, amedments to the chess event regulations might be added, which are scary.

Full text - http://www.fide.com/images/stories/n...s/annex_22.pdf

"All organizers of FIDE competitions must send to the FIDE Secretariat the list of registration of participants one day after the registration deadline. The organizer shall be fined 5,000 euro for failing to do so."

A player who fails to appear at the start of the game shall lose the game by default. In addition, the player shall be charged a penalty of 500 euro. The Chief Arbiter may waive the penalty if he is satisfied with the player’s explanation. Otherwise, the player may appeal to the Appeals Committee and its decision shall be final.

etc

Ending with a good news: Yuanling Yuan might get her WM title confirmed, and Aris Marghetis - FA
      http://ratings.fide.com/title_applications.phtml
      Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Wednesday, 9th September, 2009, 11:44 AM.

Comment

FIDE has been a bit of a moneygrabber as long as I've paid attention, but this is getting to be ridiculous.

So this would also remove the option organizers have of 0-60 minutes for the default time? (With 0 being the... um, default?)

Or by FIDE competitions do they merely mean the official FIDE events?
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Bilodeau View Post
          And I had nothing to pay to watch the games lives with a GM commenting it!!!
          What? You paid NOTHING?!?! There should be a GM COMMENTATORS union to prevent the public from paying nothing for their services! It just cheapens the whole thing!
          Only the rushing is heard...
          Onward flies the bird.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jean Hébert;13997]Predictably you remain committed to twist the facts in order to support your theories, no matter what.QUOTE]

As David Ottosen pointed out, it's a DONATION. If you want organized chess to survive on donations alone, you want even marginally less than the status quo.

Twisting of facts? Show us the facts, Mr. Hebert! The facts and figures to disclose about how Empressa gets their money back from this tournament.

I didn't think so.
            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Hugh Brodie is a weird man that give bad opinions on big events and make good comments on picnic chess events and café events.

Carl
              You then further insulted Hugh is another post (but I not sure how to quote 2 posts simultaneously).....now I believe an apology should be forthcoming....

Hugh Brodie has made a huge contribution to Canadian Chess over many years including his tireless work on the Canadian games database. He won the CFC volunteer of the year in 2008.

For certain, Hugh's opinion carries a lot more weight than yours, no matter how many kids you have!;)

Comment

You click the little "+ button next to quote on one post, then go find another one etc etc. when you get to the final one you want to quote, you just click the quote button.
                Christopher Mallon
                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

[QUOTE=Paul Bonham;14006]

Twisting of facts? Show us the facts, Mr. Hebert! The facts and figures to disclose about how Empressa gets their money back from this tournament.
                  I didn't think so.
                  The depth of your ignorance and unrelentless desire to show it continues to amaze me.
                  Sponsors are generally not looking to "get their money back", but they may be looking for ROI (return on investment) which most of the times takes the form of INTANGIBLES (impossible to put into dollar and cents) in terms of image, credibilitty and visibility. Whether you call it "sponsorship" or "donation" is beside the point. The results are the same: better and bigger tournaments, and more exposure for the game that you obviously hate.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                    What? You paid NOTHING?!?! There should be a GM COMMENTATORS union to prevent the public from paying nothing for their services! It just cheapens the whole thing!

I think you forgot to mention the part where they defend the screwup in Quebec and attack the perfectly good event in Ontario.

Unionize, I say! Get a dog to bark for you when someone gives criticism.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

... Hugh Brodie is a weird man ...
                      Well of course he's weird. He's a chess player. It's a pre-requisite for Pete's sake.

Nevertheless ... having had the pleasure of knowing Hugh for over 35 years, I can tell you that he is one of the most decent people I have ever met; in chess or any other sphere. From the lifetime 1200 player to the masters, he treats everyone the same. I have never heard anyone speak badly of him before you began doing so.

He is tireless in supporting and helping those chess causes in which he believes. If he has doubts or criticisms, he has earned the right to voice them.

As an invidual so closely aligned with the Montreal Open, I wonder why you are so aggressive with critics. Is this the face of the event that Ahuntsic CC really wishes to present? As a sponsor, is this a facet of your company you want us to see first?

I have mentioned to you privately that a little thicker skin might be in order. Of course you are free to react as you will, but then you must not be surprised if others claim the same right.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Sullivan View Post
                        Well of course he's weird. He's a chess player. It's a pre-requisite for Pete's sake.

Nevertheless ... having had the pleasure of knowing Hugh for over 35 years, I can tell you that he is one of the most decent people I have ever met; in chess or any other sphere. From the lifetime 1200 player to the masters, he treats everyone the same. I have never heard anyone speak badly of him before you began doing so.

He is tireless in supporting and helping those chess causes in which he believes. If he has doubts or criticisms, he has earned the right to voice them.

As an invidual so closely aligned with the Montreal Open, I wonder why you are so aggressive with critics. Is this the face of the event that Ahuntsic CC really wishes to present? As a sponsor, is this a facet of your company you want us to see first?

I have mentioned to you privately that a little thicker skin might be in order. Of course you are free to react as you will, but then you must not be surprised if others claim the same right.
                        Hugh Brodie is a class act and I am proud to have been his friend for many many years. We often discuss chess issues and I always take his comments very seriously. He is an asset to our community.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                          Hugh Brodie is an asset to our community.
                          I will add that a lot of the good that has been said about Yves Casaubon can be said about Hugh Brodie. To me they are in the same category of people who give without counting.
                          At least this gives people the chance to praise Hugh while he is still with us.

Comment

Kevin's very harsh words are not completely out of order, because of course nothing is perfect. Internet coverage could of course have gone smoother, and media attention could have been greater along with a hosts of smaller details. However one thing is certain. The top GMs who played this year and the years before like the city and the conditions (this includes the money), otherwise they would not come back.
                            Awwwww.... nothing is perfect. Hey, Hal Bond, did you hear that? Don't sweat all those details that Jean tore your head off for a few weeks ago. He realizes nothing is perfect, and you are not to blame, just as Langlois is not to blame for the TIM shortcomings. All those players in the Closed who posted saying they liked the conditions, they liked the city, Jean realizes now that that's what counts! He was WRONG to blame everything on you! Don't be hard on Jean, he is still learning!
                            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                              Don't be hard on Jean, he is still learning!
                              Thanks for the compliment! (that I wish I could return...). I like to think that it could be the main reason why I was able to win the Canadian Championship at 51. I am still capable of learning, something that many younger people have apparently lost. :)

By the way, there are no possible comparisons between the Guelph barebone event and the Montreal International. Two events belonging to completely different categories. The point is that the gap should not be so great.

Comment

• Re : Re: Few personal notes about Canadian Closed

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                                You then further insulted Hugh is another post (but I not sure how to quote 2 posts simultaneously).....now I believe an apology should be forthcoming....

Hugh Brodie has made a huge contribution to Canadian Chess over many years including his tireless work on the Canadian games database. He won the CFC volunteer of the year in 2008.

For certain, Hugh's opinion carries a lot more weight than yours, no matter how many kids you have!;)
                                I completely agree with Bob Gillanders. Insulting Hugh has nothing to do with the topic and is really ridiculous. Hugh has received the ''volunteer of the year'' reward and is probably one of the most implicated person in chess in Canada.

As Daniel Rouleau said, Carl has been banned twice for insults, and several of his posts have been deleted because they are simply hainous...
                                Last edited by Felix Dumont; Monday, 28th September, 2009, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X