World Cup 2019 Khanty-Mansiysk, Russia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Shak strikes first in rd 2! What a dizzying amount of 2 knight combinational possibilities with a few other sacrifices thrown in !!

Comment

Hikaru tried to play it strategic but was overwhelmed by a tactical blizzard after he accepted his opponents queen sacrifice.

Comment

Nihal-Safarli white started with a quiet Ruy Lopez but built up positional trumps so that by strategic means his position was +10 before the tactics flowed. Havent seen that in a while.

Comment

Aravindh - Tomashevsky is a good positional game where the black queen starts late but gets a good workout and the game is decided by passed pawns.

Comment

Harikrishna - Fedoseev is humorous in that white misses the winning shot of Na6 but then wheels his knight around again and wins with Nxa6!

Comment

Aronian overwhelms Maghsoodloo with sharp tactics (although according to the computer Aronian missed a lot in terms of accuracy)

Comment

Peter Svidler missed 25.b3! (the tickler) a profound move which forces the black queen to back up (I love that idea)

Comment

Firoujza survived by aggressive play but didnt take advantage of his opportunities later and it ended a draw.

Comment

Grischuk had an edge but maybe time pressure played a role as they repeated moves.

Comment

Anton Guijarro played a heck of a game against Wei Yi!

Comment

Sam Sevian defended resourcefully against Karjakhin but was eventually overwhelmed.

Comment

The Korobov- Le Quang Liem game became very interesting when 5 knights appeared on the board but by that point I think Le Quang had missed his winning opportunity.

Comment

Jeffrey Xiong was totally outplayed and was lost but his opponent failed to be accurate and allowed counterplay.

Comment

The Yuffa- McShane game was winning for white but degenerated into a two bishops vs knight ending. Is that a win for white? I dont know. I had the knight against a master opponent 30 years ago and defended for hours and successfully held a draw. I wouldnt want to do it again.

Comment

I wonder how much of a psychological boost that will be going into game two. A lot of lucky saves (resourceful!?)

Comment

Working...
                                X