Clear All

• Sam Sharpe
    replied
    Gerrymandering: America's contribution to the world's political lexicon

Leave a comment:

• Erik Malmsten
    replied
    Originally posted by Sam Sharpe View Post
    Oh, I understand they whys and wherefores, but it still feels strange/unnatural to me.
    What I find strange is the extent to which the two parties seek to prevent people from voting, and registering to vote, as well as gerrymandering districts. In Canada, we have voting stations every few blocks, in some states that have to travel 100 miles, line up for 6 hours, and provide photo id/literacy test. Their name may have been purged from the voters lists.Internationally they talk about being pro democracy, but are afraid of American citizens voting. Around 100 million Americans have voted by mail, yet some states aren't going to count them all, even military votes. If it's a close vote tonight, there will be court cases to not open the mail votes. And three of the Justices of the Supreme Court worked on the case to not count all the votes in Florida which resulted in Bush winning over Gore. Democrats will have to win big, get states such as Texas, and get over 60% for it to be accepted. If Biden wins, Trump still has a few months to destroy as much of the functioning of the government as he can.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gillanders
    replied
    Thanks Rob. I really enjoyed seeing the prediction from Polli, 372.
    The advance polling has been huge, I have to believe that is bad news for Trump.

So my final prediction is: well, Biden needs 270 to win, and it could be a landslide, so going way out on a limb here, LOL

Biden wins with between 270 and 372.

Let the drinking begin. :)

Leave a comment:

• Sam Sharpe
    replied
    Oh, I understand they whys and wherefores, but it still feels strange/unnatural to me.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Douglas
    replied
    The US was founded with the rejection of "kings" and powerful central government. Distrust of government, particularly a central one is very strong in their culture.

Much of the power of government is devolved to the state level. As an example, although there are a gazillion banks and/or insurance companies in the US, very few operate nationwide because any financial company has to be registered in, and adhere to the regulations of, any state in which they operate.

Elections are run by the individual states and they all have different rules.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Sam Sharpe
    replied
    I find the US system strange, Ken. But that's mainly because I don't live there LOL
    Even my wife commented "Why don't they have something like 'Elections Canada' to run things?"

Leave a comment:

• Ken Craft
    replied
    I stand corrected, Sam. I shouldn't have been operating from memory.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Douglas
    replied
    Originally posted by Sam Sharpe View Post

I thought they awarded two electoral votes to the statewide popular vote winner and 1 vote to each of their 2 district's popular vote?
    You are correct. Maine has 2 electors for statewide and 1 for each of 2 congressional districts (total 4). Nebraska has 2 electors for the statewide vote and 1 elector for each of 3 congressional districts (total 5). Every other state is a winner-take-all scenario (although I think one state has proposed switching away from the winner-take-all).

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Sam Sharpe
    replied
    Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
    Maine has 4 voting regions. Probably going 3-1 for Biden.
    I thought they awarded two electoral votes to the statewide popular vote winner and 1 vote to each of their 2 district's popular vote?

Leave a comment:

• Ken Craft
    replied
    Maine has 4 voting regions. Probably going 3-1 for Biden.

Leave a comment:

• Kerry Liles
    replied
    Ah I see... Maine and Nebraska allow electoral college votes to be split. Not clear to me how the split is determined (perhaps purely by proportion?).
    The whole electoral college idea is outdated (if it ever did make sense) but I don't see the U.S. changing how that works - they haven't even adopted metric.

Leave a comment:

• Amit R
    replied
    What is your take on the way the electoral college is set up in most states? i.e. whoever wins the popular vote in each state takes ALL the electors?

It seems this disincentivizes voters in particular states : for example, a Republican voter in California or a Democrat voter in Texas can't be really faulted for thinking that their vote doesn't count, and may even be motivated to not vote.

Would a proportional system be more fair/representative ? The system in Maine/Nebraska seems to be a very good alternative as well.

Leave a comment:

• Peter McKillop
    replied
    Originally posted by Rob Gashgarian View Post
    I've been following Polli, a political AI algorithm from Advanced Symbolics Inc in Ottawa, that has successfully called Trudeau 2015 & 2019, Trump 2015 and Brexit. They have made periodic visits to The Agenda, on TVO. If you check TVO's online archives you can find some of their visits. Interesting, beyond the political ramifications.
    I believe the link will take you to their electoral map.
    https://advancedsymbolics.com/us-election-2/
    Hi Rob. Great looking logo for the BCC!! Does the red symbolize the sauce on Tony F.'s onions & anchovies pizzas?
    :)

p.s. the link has numbers I like!

Leave a comment:

• Rob Gashgarian
    replied
    I've been following Polli, a political AI algorithm from Advanced Symbolics Inc in Ottawa, that has successfully called Trudeau 2015 & 2019, Trump 2015 and Brexit. They have made periodic visits to The Agenda, on TVO. If you check TVO's online archives you can find some of their visits. Interesting, beyond the political ramifications.
    I believe the link will take you to their electoral map.
    https://advancedsymbolics.com/us-election-2/

Leave a comment:

• Sid Belzberg
    replied
    Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    A very funny picture. Trump has absolutely no chances to win Oregon, Washington and Illinois.
    Assuming you are correct and we throw in Pensylvania for good measure,Trump still wins

Leave a comment:

Working...
X