2200 assault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

You're welcome :) And you're in a good club of dad's who played along their sons and daughters - Plotkin, Preotu, Hua to mention several names.

Being a little bit old fashion I recommend books :) For the start Soviet Chess Primer and going over the real chess board. For a little bit entertainment Tal's book on his match against Botvinnik.
    Thank you for the book recommendations. I had a copy of "Soviet Chess Primer" back in India, and had started reading it casually, but it was too dense for casual reading. Never got around to dedicated study. I hope to pick it up when I go to India next . Not sure when that will be, though. I hear only good things about Tal's 1960 book, thanks for recommending it. Will start studying that once I reach atleast 1400.

Right now, planning to study like a kid : mate-in-1s and captures.

Comment

Originally posted by Amit R View Post

Right now, planning to study like a kid : mate-in-1s and captures.
      So on the weekend before I played in Victor's Rapid, I did 130 checkmate examples, from 2-move to 4-move, and it really seemed to help, especially in my attacking win.

It reminded me of going for a jog before going for a run, if you know what I mean. In other words, I think your idea is good to regularly do some kind of drills. Enjoy them!

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

So on the weekend before I played in Victor's Rapid, I did 130 checkmate examples, from 2-move to 4-move, and it really seemed to help, especially in my attacking win.

It reminded me of going for a jog before going for a run, if you know what I mean. In other words, I think your idea is good to regularly do some kind of drills. Enjoy them!
        In my case, I am learning to crawl :-D .

Let me explain : my son and I were reviewing one of the games : https://lichess.org/iLBiEKAJCXuq : I had a "great" idea on move 42 for Black : ... Bf5+ Kf4/Kf3 Bd7+ winning the Q, and completely missed Qf5# .

Great performance in your tournament, Aris ; I checked in after round 4, and you were in 2nd place . Was seeing your 5th match live ; tough fight against the tournament winner. If you hadn't missed the 6th round, I guess you may have been in the top 5.

Comment

In my case, I am learning to crawl :-D .

Let me explain : my son and I were reviewing one of the games : https://lichess.org/iLBiEKAJCXuq : I had a "great" idea on move 42 for Black : ... Bf5+ Kf4/Kf3 Bd7+ winning the Q, and completely missed Qf5# .

Great performance in your tournament, Aris ; I checked in after round 4, and you were in 2nd place . Was seeing your 5th match live ; tough fight against the tournament winner. If you hadn't missed the 6th round, I guess you may have been in the top 5.
          Thanks Amit! Yeah, I would have liked to play to the end, but I remembered the event being 5 rounds starting at 1pm. So I advised my family, and my wife planned for family dinner accordingly. Well, the tournament was actually starting at 2pm (burnt my hour buffer), and then only after the 5th round did I actually realize it was going to be 6 rounds. But dinner was already being served!

I really enjoyed my games, but to be honest, I scored 1.5/2 in time scrambles where I would have been as low as 0/2 at standard time control. And I hope that zero-prize online events catch on!

Comment

Oooooof! Finally finished the 4 orange Yusupov books. Didn't realize 1500 is that hard!

Hopefully the blue books are a bit easier.

Comment

Four? I thought it was three sets of three: orange (the fundamentals), blue (beyond the basics) green (mastery).

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
                Four? I thought it was three sets of three: orange (the fundamentals), blue (beyond the basics) green (mastery).
                There is a Revision and Exam. Comparably a new book (2016).

Comment

Hey Amit, just finished a book on tension you might want to know about ... TENSION in the CHESS POSITION by Riley Sheffield.

Great little book about 70 pages or so, very instructive.

Comment

Thank you for sharing, Neil. Will check it out.

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                    Hey Amit, just finished a book on tension you might want to know about ... TENSION in the CHESS POSITION by Riley Sheffield.

Great little book about 70 pages or so, very instructive.

Comment

Hey Amit, which openings are you looking at?

Comment

As of now, I am doing only basic stuff to get to a decent base(1200?) : captures, mate-in-1,tactics.

But, once I improve my rapid rating to about 1600, I intend to prepare extensively on 1 white opening and 1 black : thinking of Italian and Caro-Kann.

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                        Hey Amit, which openings are you looking at?

Comment

As of now, I am doing only basic stuff to get to a decent base(1200?) : captures, mate-in-1,tactics.

But, once I improve my rapid rating to about 1600, I intend to prepare extensively on 1 white opening and 1 black : thinking of Italian and Caro-Kann.

You may need more opening knowledge than "Italian and Caro-Kan" - you need to deal with any White opening - d4, c4, Nf3, g3, b4 not just e4.
                          Even if you get in 1. e4 e5 there are many paths from there that are not the Italian opening (Giuco Piano I presume). There are some very interesting
                          books out there that advocate a certain strategy for Black to play against nearly anything White starts with.
                          From the White side, there are similar ideas to play a specific structure regardless of what Black tries to transpose into
                          but you have to remain very vigilant to stay on focus regarding the overall structure in those cases.
                          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

You may need more opening knowledge than "Italian and Caro-Kan" - you need to deal with any White opening - d4, c4, Nf3, g3, b4 not just e4.
                            Even if you get in 1. e4 e5 there are many paths from there that are not the Italian opening (Giuco Piano I presume). There are some very interesting
                            books out there that advocate a certain strategy for Black to play against nearly anything White starts with.
                            From the White side, there are similar ideas to play a specific structure regardless of what Black tries to transpose into
                            but you have to remain very vigilant to stay on focus regarding the overall structure in those cases.
                            Hi again Amit, so if I may, here's some thoughts about this, as we're on similar trying-to-improve-as-an-adult paths:

Over the years, I did something similar to what Kerry is describing, which from a pragmatic viewpoint, well, it worked.
                            For example, the majority of my games seemed to somehow evolve into a King's Indian structure, no matter what lol

However, especially against better players, they somehow took advantage of my "need" to reach familiar structures.
                            So, during the pandemic, I'm slowly working through Chess.com lessons on whatever opening is next on their lists.
                            Even though I won't play the majority of them, it's kinda exciting to try them out, especially if only rated Chess.com
                            Yes, I've made some glorious errors (my online rating is about 200 points lower than OTB), but it's been quite fun.

AND: I sincerely think it's improving me. For example, I was blindly ignorant of IQP strategy before the Tarrasch, etc.
                            So in conclusion, I say try lots of different openings. I'm thinking that doing so will improve the openings you do select.
                            I WOULD JUST LOVE IT IF SOMEONE RATED AT LEAST 2200 COULD REPLY WITH WHAT THEY THINK OF THIS!

Comment

Awesome thanks, didn't mean to pry, ha! Just wanted to know where your mind/development was at.

For me I loved understanding what the opening part of a chess game is & was.

So I not only did I hire some amazing chess teachers/coaches ... I also studied how opening a chess game evolved ... it's an absolutely crazy journey of how the opening of a chess game evolved ... and I assume will still evolve.

For instance, from your mention of the Caro-Kann ... how did it ever come about? ... why only square forward? ... why the C pawn? ... etc., etc..

And the history of White moving the E pawn ... unprotected ... to the center of the board !!! ... amazing stuff!

Comment

Thank you for your insights, Kerry. Would you please share what books you had in mind?

If/when I get around to preparing openings, I was planning to read "Discovering Chess Openings" by John Emms, and then some books on open games by Emms, before looking into any specific opening.

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

Comment

Working...
                                X