2200 assault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would also like to add that to grow your opening knowledge you should use training matches against somebody preferably within 200 points stronger or at least equal. Most ideal is a group which meets regularly to discuss openings but impossible in these Covid times. I think back to a group that met at Frank Pushkedra's place which greatly helped me become a master, later sessions and visits with Milan Vukadinov and which I tried to emulate when I was in London. I still think that method produces the best results.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
      I would also like to add that to grow your opening knowledge you should use training matches against somebody preferably within 200 points stronger or at least equal. Most ideal is a group which meets regularly to discuss openings but impossible in these Covid times. I think back to a group that met at Frank Pushkedra's place which greatly helped me become a master, later sessions and visits with Milan Vukadinov and which I tried to emulate when I was in London. I still think that method produces the best results.
      Thanks Hans!

Comment

Thank you, Hans, for weighing in here. It is awesome to see strong players sharing their insights...

I hope to get to the point where I can start putting the opening advice to systematic use soon.

Comment

I finally have some time to read the posts and post. I agree with what the coaches and strong players have posted but would like to add a caveat. Once you have played enough tournament chess in choosing your main openings you need to determine your style. Then select a strong grandmaster that plays in your style and use his openings. If you are having trouble determining your style of play any strong coach can help if you send him a minimum of 10 tournament games that have been decided without blunders. I also like Neil's comment about opening study being fun and an adventure. Its much better that way. All of this takes time but the fastest way is to determine your style and playing mainline openings that suit your style.
          and of course what Vlad said after losing a game as a result of the opening definitely make sure you look up what you should have done, thats a given.
          One opening where this was especially useful to me is the Englund gambit. 1.d4 e5. The first time in a training game I lost to this opening after falling into complications. The next time someone played it against me was in a money game in Detroit. Black was a local master and after we analyzed the arising positions, the kibitzers were laughing and taunting, when you play a gambit you are supposed to get a lead in development and active pieces and not worse development and uncoordinated pieces.

I used to go over every game in my openings that was in TWIC so I didn't limit it to one GM. I used to pay attention to the games of the GMs who wrote iconic opening books. When you look at 50 games played in the last week you learn many of the current ideas.
          Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Sunday, 27th December, 2020, 01:18 PM.

Comment

I learned a lot about chess from sessions in Milan Vukadinov's home or in the chess club with Milan and Ray Stone leading team prep for the Detroit Metro Chess League matches. Milan often played non-topical openings and always looked at variations leading to complications as something to be avoided. He used the mantra of "Simple Chess" and he often succeeded against even GM opposition using simple chess.

It is also possible to train with someone online as I practice various openings with a young player who went from the 1700s to 2200s over the course of our weekly game which often featured openings he wanted to work on and sometimes openings I wanted to work on. We literally played some openings one hundred times over a period of years. In my last tournament I played a game in one of our regular openings and my higher rated opponent thought that she was better in a position which I knew was equal but difficult for white. She only began to appreciate her difficulties as the game wore on and when we analyzed it in the post-mortem when she admitted that she had totally misunderstood the position (which was equal based on experience from many games that I and my young friend had played over the years).
            Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Tuesday, 29th December, 2020, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

I learned a lot about chess from sessions in Milan Vukadinov's home or in the chess club with Milan and Ray Stone leading team prep for the Detroit Metro Chess League matches. Milan often played non-topical openings and always looked at variations leading to complications as something to be avoided. He used the mantra of "Simple Chess" and he often succeeded against even GM opposition using simple chess.
              Simple Chess by Michael Stean is another epic little book!

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

Simple Chess by Michael Stean is another epic little book!
                Yes, and Ray Stone recommended that book to me in the early 1990s. I'm not sure if the new edition has been fleshed out more as the original was quite thin but worth reading. I think he recommended it based on its treatment of the minority attack and the Maroczy Bind.

Comment

Thank you, Neil and Vlad, for the recommendation ; BTW, any thoughts on "Simple Chess" and "More Simple Chess" by John Emms ?

Yes, and Ray Stone recommended that book to me in the early 1990s. I'm not sure if the new edition has been fleshed out more as the original was quite thin but worth reading. I think he recommended it based on its treatment of the minority attack and the Maroczy Bind.

Comment

STATUS UPDATE:

Spent a modest amount of time on several days over the past 2 months working on tactics problems ; worked myself to a tactics rating of 2K on a site( had touched 2.2K) . The actual rating itself perhaps doesn't matter, but it felt good to be doing tactics problems, calculating and just trying to get back.

Of course, this doesn't translate immediately to a full revival : some of the moves I suggested to my son while going over his games were hanging pieces. He had a few sharp, humbling words for me. Should start playing games again, but haven't been able to make time.

Will post the next update at the end of Mar'21.

Comment

Originally posted by Amit R View Post
                      STATUS UPDATE:

Spent a modest amount of time on several days over the past 2 months working on tactics problems ; worked myself to a tactics rating of 2K on a site( had touched 2.2K) . The actual rating itself perhaps doesn't matter, but it felt good to be doing tactics problems, calculating and just trying to get back.

Of course, this doesn't translate immediately to a full revival : some of the moves I suggested to my son while going over his games were hanging pieces. He had a few sharp, humbling words for me. Should start playing games again, but haven't been able to make time.

Will post the next update at the end of Mar'21.
                      My update is that I "think" I'm playing better, but I somehow find enough blunder-ish moves to remain in the same rating range lol. I am sure that I miss things more online vs. 3-dimension OTB.

Comment

I loved the old Mastering the King's Indian, Mastering the Benoni and Benko Gambit, Mastering the French, Mastering the Spanish, Mastering the Nimzoindian etc. all with the Read and Play Method. Forget about finding them on Amazon as the prices are inflated though you might find some of them on the shelf at Strategy and Games.

Recommendations are really specific to the openings that you want to play.

I like the whole Grandmaster Repertoire series from Quality Chess starting with Avrukh's contribution. The Move by Move series from Everyman seems good to me for beginners among the modern books on openings and also players. For books on the Caro-Kann I like the ones by Houska (Everyman), Schandaroff (Grandmaster Repertoire from Quality Chess) and Bologan (New In Chess). The one by Landkwala is pretty good as well. Though for a beginner who could afford only one book I would go with the Houska book.

If you like the hyper-accelerated Dragon with black Raja Panjwani's book is quite good. I think I have a hard copy from Strategy and Games, Forwardchess.com and on the Kindle.

The Doknjas boys Joshua and John have books on Forwardchess.com and Everyman on the Najdorf (together), Ruy Lopez (Joshua) and Benoni (John).

On videos I like the whole Ginger GM series which covers many openings Dutch, French, Queen's Gambit, etc. Nigel Davies is pretty good. Strategy and Games often shows up at tournaments and sells off old software at reduced prices. In Quebec City, I spent hundreds at about $10 per disk. Some of them were engines and I was able to extend my playchess.com subscription which also has lots of videos in their library. I don't think I actually used most of the engines beyond extending my playchess subscription into 2024.

I think elsewhere I mentioned Mesgen Amanov and his two sites, Improvemychess.com and LimitlessChess.com, His queen pawn repertoire has brought me some joy.. Ichess.com is pretty good. If you subscribe you get credit for the cost of the subscription that you can redeem as coupons against the videos. They have lots of good presenters. Also you get a library of opening videos for free if you subscribe.

I like Ron Henley's videos on the French and London System.

Chessable is a good way to learn openings though you have to be sure of the presenter. Some are very good and some not so much. Chessable is a bit pricey but if you buy everything on sale it is not as painful.

Thank you, Vlad, for the suggestions. I just finished the blue Yusupov books and will be looking into openings more.

A lot of these openings you suggest look interesting and it will be nice to not get a lost position on move 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Sharpe View Post
                          It sounds like you might want to look at several of the books in EVERYMAN CHESS's "MOVE BY MOVE" series.
                          Hi Sam,

I have seen the reviews are mixed. Which ones did you like?

Comment

I follow Cyrus Lakdawala on facebook. He's very friendly, answers virtually everybody, posts interesting tactical puzzles and has opening discussions often.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Li View Post

Hi Sam,

I have seen the reviews are mixed. Which ones did you like?
                              It all depends what you are looking for. McDonald's "Ruy Lopez" is a solid choice, and I have heard good things about Hunt's "Chess Strategy" from a few folks. In addition to the Lopez book, I also have the KIA and Caro-Kann in the Move-by-Move series.

Comment

I follow Cyrus Lakdawala on facebook. He's very friendly, answers virtually everybody, posts interesting tactical puzzles and has opening discussions often.
                                Thanks, Hans. He appears to be knowledgeable on many openings. Should be fun to follow.

Comment

Working...
                                X