KEC 2022 announcement (Kingston Easter Chess)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Don Parakin View Post

Done. See https://www.chess.ca/en/news/2022/03...-easter-chess/

Thank you, Aris, for the incredible amount of work you've done pulling all this together!
    Thank you Don.

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Guo View Post

Thanks, Aris,

I can confirm the confirmation email only mentioned the cancellation policy could be found online, and the online system showed this is non commissionable rate. Another item may trigger confusion is about the parking fee, as free parking mentioned above, but the booking system and the confirmation email all saying $20 daily for parking.

For the tournament cancelation policy sounds good for me, just like to know it in case something happen in this uncertain world
      Hi again Grey, so first of all, "non-commissionable" means that a third-party reservation mechanism can't access this room rate.
      Makes sense, as the hotel doesn't want that low rate to be offered to anyone but us.

Then the deal we have is with that hotel, not with Marriott, whose reservation system is what generates that email you receive.
      Would you be interested in forwarding me your confirmation email? Then I can see whether the hotel should change anything.
      Regardless, as anyone who stayed there in 2019 can attest, the parking was free!!
      Regarding the 48-hour cancellation, the hotel now realizes they should update their own website (vs. linking to Marriott's)

I hope this covers all of your concerns, and please send me that confirmation email.

I was just speaking with the hotel, and already 15 rooms booked in the first 24 hours!
      (I haven't received that many registration emails yet, but I guess they're INCOMING!)

Best, Aris.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

I hope this covers all of your concerns, and please send me that confirmation email.

Best, Aris.
        Thanks, the confirmation email forwarded,

Comment

I was just speaking with the hotel, and already 15 rooms booked in the first 24 hours!
          Best, Aris.
          So two of you have reported being charged extra. That's wrong, it should be the same rate up to 4 people.
          If it's not giving you the correct $100 rate, please email me the number of adults you're trying, and the number of kids, and their ages (also, do you even click on the kids' numbers?)
          We'll of course get any incorrect reservations corrected, I just need to know about them.
          P.S. ignore the parking reference in the confirmation emails, it's an auto-line from Marriott. It will be free!

ADDED later in the day:
          It seems the error only sometimes appears in Summary Charges. Still working on it. But it WON'T be a problem when you pay!
          Last edited by Aris Marghetis; Tuesday, 8th March, 2022, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I am offering some respectful suggestions for the event:
            1) All player and organizer participants to have received a minimum of two vaccinations for COVID-19, status to be verified by organizers, before play begins;
            2) Players to be masked when arriving, and walking around the site, but can remove masks at their boards, and at the boards in the analysis areas;
            3) Organizers to wear masks at all times on site;
            4) Visitors to wear masks at all times on site.

I am sure Aris has been thinking about all of this, and I am wondering if he could clarify tournament conditions soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
              1) All player and organizer participants to have received a minimum of two vaccinations for COVID-19, status to be verified by organizers, before play begins;
              2) Players to be masked when arriving, and walking around the site, but can remove masks at their boards, and at the boards in the analysis areas;

I am sure Aris has been thinking about all of this, and I am wondering if he could clarify tournament conditions soon.
              I covered that in my initial post to start this thread ... have you had the chance to review that?

Thanks, best, Aris.

PANDEMIC CONDITIONS (subject to change):
              "restaurant rules":
              - a player seated at their board may remove their mask
              - everyone else on the 2nd floor must properly wear a mask
              - all players must submit vaccine documentation with their registration
              - any exceptions may be appealed on a case-by-case basis (early please!)
              - the event and/or the hotel reserve the right to ban anyone deemed ill
              - please note anyone may be subject to non-contact temperature testing

Comment

Thanks, Aris; I actually didn't read that exact post; I had been following your EARLIER thread on the tournament, with the same title, so this is a bit confusing.

One small point: mask usage in the analysis room, which I asked about, and you haven't covered.

Comment

I recently talked with a senior who got Covid at a chess tournament despite being masked. He said it must have been when they were eating together. He was vaccinated, had mild symptoms and is isolating.

Comment

Thanks, Aris; I actually didn't read that exact post; I had been following your EARLIER thread on the tournament, with the same title, so this is a bit confusing.

One small point: mask usage in the analysis room, which I asked about, and you haven't covered.
                    Yes, I now see your point. I think "their board" would be in any chess area on the floor. Your thoughts?

ADDED later in the day: yeah, I'll augment that to control for skittles "congregations"
                    Frank, if you have some suggested text, please feel free to email it to me directly.
                    Last edited by Aris Marghetis; Wednesday, 9th March, 2022, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Bryon Nickoloff Memorial Prizes

KEC 2022 (Kingston Easter Chess), the home for this year's Canadian Closed/Zonal championships, is honoured to announce the Bryon Nickoloff Memorial Prizes!

Canadian IM Brian Hartman is graciously donating $1000, to be awarded as $500 prizes to the best Canadian Junior in each of the Zonal and the Women Zonal.

These prizes are independent of any other prizes. In the case of tie(s), they will be split. These are open to players who are Canadians born in 2002 or later.

Tremendous thanks to Brian for this wonderful gesture!!

Comment

So two of you have reported being charged extra. That's wrong, it should be the same rate up to 4 people.
                        If it's not giving you the correct $100 rate, please email me the number of adults you're trying, and the number of kids, and their ages (also, do you even click on the kids' numbers?)
                        We'll of course get any incorrect reservations corrected, I just need to know about them.
                        P.S. ignore the parking reference in the confirmation emails, it's an auto-line from Marriott. It will be free!

ADDED later in the day:
                        It seems the error only sometimes appears in Summary Charges. Still working on it. But it WON'T be a problem when you pay!
                        Some of you are still seeing an error ONLY in the Summary Charges portion of the reservation confirmation email. I understand that can be frustrating. But please rest assured that the actual rate of only $100 nightly is properly transacted on the hotel reservation system. They just have to fix that last part of that email. I REALLY hope this gets fixed by this weekend, it's annoying until then.

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Guo View Post

Thanks, the confirmation email forwarded,
                          Could someone who booked their hotel only today, please forward me their reservation confirmation email? I'm troubleshooting eliminating all references to parking. Parking will be free for us!

Comment

I am donating $200 for the KEC event, for Best Game Prizes, in memory of FM Kevin Gentes and IA David Cohen, who both passed away in 2021.

My suggestion is to award one prize of $100 to the Zonal participants, and one prize of $100 to the Section participants, for one Best Game in each.

I will leave it to Aris to determine how to decide these.

Comment

I am donating $200 for the KEC event, for Best Game Prizes, in memory of FM Kevin Gentes and IA David Cohen, who both passed away in 2021.

My suggestion is to award one prize of $100 to the Zonal participants, and one prize of $100 to the Section participants, for one Best Game in each.

I will leave it to Aris to determine how to decide these.
                              Thank you so much Frank. Let's continue planning this by email. I just emailed you. Best, Aris.

Comment

Im impressed by your thoughtfulness Frank. Best Game Prizes are an important feature of the best events and two more worthy individuals FM Kevin Gentes and IA David Cohen, both who recently passed away and were important parts of the Canadian chess scene, I cant think of.

Comment

Working...
                                X