the candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If nakamura cant win this candidates it looks like he will play the role of spoiler. He beat Caruana in round 8.
    https://en.chessbase.com/post/fide-candidates-2022-r8

Comment

Rd 9 Key game - Caruana - Nepo

Comment

Caruana - Nep drawn. Ding, Firoujza, and Radjabov all won with the white pieces. Nepo remains in the drivers seat after round 9.

Comment

Caruana out prepared him, but did not out play him after that. Nepo will be very hard to stop now, his form is too good it seems. Good to see so many decisive games, lots of good punch outs.

Comment

https://en.chessbase.com/post/fide-candidates-2022-r9 Analysis of round 9 games.

Comment

Rd10 Nakamura beat Firoujza and that all but mathematically eliminates Firoujza's chances for first. Actually Firoujza, Duda, and Rapport (my picks to win) have all been virtually eliminated from the hunt for first. Duda did beat Caruana today and that helped Nakamura and Ding to tie for second with Caruana.
              After 10 Nepo 7, Caruana, Ding, Nakamura - all with 5.5. 4 rounds to go.

Comment

There's still enough time for an epic collapse!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Sharpe View Post
                  There's still enough time for an epic collapse!
                  I do not believe that Nepo will lose form at this point. He is a man in almost complete control of himself. It is beautiful to watch. It borders on genius.

Comment

We have to keep folks tuned in, don't we? Saying "Yup, this is pretty much over" (even if it is) isn't going to bring the crowds. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post

I do not believe that Nepo will lose form at this point. He is a man in almost complete control of himself. It is beautiful to watch. It borders on genius.

Perhaps Nepo is going to become like the 1983 Edmonton Oilers.

1983 and 1984 were the 2 best years in the NHL as I understand it.

In 1983 Stanley Cup final, the amazing New York Islanders dynasty won their 4th Cup in a row, and defeated the Gretzky-led Oilers in 4 straight games in the final.

In 1984, the same two teams met again in the final. The Islanders were still mighty and called it their "Drive For Five". They had won 19 straight playoff series, still by far an NHL record.

Edmonton won the first game 1-0.

Islanders won the 2nd game, I think 4-1 or something ... the last gasp of their dynasty.

Edmonton won the next 3 games to take the Cup and start their own incredible dynasty.

The 2 greatest teams in hockey history BACK TO BACK. I think it is the greatest time period in any sport. I"m relatively new to hockey, but I've watched tons of videos and read up on the history and I really think those 2 years in the NHL are unmatched in any sport.

But if Nepo has a rematch against Carlsen and wins... it could challenge NHL 1983 and 1984 for the greatest back to back title matches in sports history.

Comment

Interesting thoughts, though personally the Montreal hockey teams of the early 1970s are in my opinion the best I ever saw. And the greatest player was Bobby Orr. Care to debate that Grandmasterov?

Comment

https://en.chessbase.com/post/fide-candidates-2022-r10 Analysis of round 10 games.

Comment

I agree with you Brad the Canadiens team of the the 70's was the strongest hockey team ever and Bobby Orr probably the greatest hockey player. He was something else,

Nepo played a great tournament and is probably going to be the candidate.

Comment

I used to live on the Canada/USA border.......so we got lots of USA in the media.....so I followed the USA teams as much as the Canadian ones (Before expansion). And I watched hockey when young.

I used to love seeing Bobby Orr start winding up from his defence position, to go on a "Mission" towards the opposing net.

Bob

Comment

Nepo is on fire, this is absolutely incredible. He is dispatching his opponents with consummate ease. Magnus does not want to play this guy again.

Comment

Working...
                                X