Canadian Chess Championships 2022. AKA CO 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks to Stephen Wright and Fred McKim for their explanations to my question. Now, next question: Are the accelerated pairings set to continue for the rest of the event? We are now going into round six of nine.

As for the background of Ryan Campbell, unrated player who defeated GM Razvan Preotu (board three for Canada at upcoming Chennai Olympiad 2022) in a fine game from round five today, to take the sole lead in CO 2022 with a perfect 5/5, I think we need to be respectful of this achievement, of his excellent play so far, and not make unsubstantiated accusations. I am wondering if he is related to Brett Campbell, longtime Master, who is also playing in the event.

Tied for second place at 4.5/5 are: GM Paragua, GM Ortiz, GM Sheng, IM Noritsyn, and IM Rodrigue-Lemieux.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
      Is it just me or is anyone else wondering who Ryan Campbell is ??
      Without much thinking I thought that should be a relative to Brett Campbell and move on :)

--
      edit

seems Frank thinks the same :)

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
        Thanks to Stephen Wright and Fred McKim for their explanations to my question. Now, next question: Are the accelerated pairings set to continue for the rest of the event? We are now going into round six of nine.
        No more accelerated pairings. Was 1 or 2 point for 3 rounds, than .5 for 2 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

Without much thinking I thought that should be a relative to Brett Campbell and move on :)

--
          edit

seems Frank thinks the same :)
          I wasn't suggesting there was any cheating (and I think Henri should remove his post). But I'm certainly baffled as to how a player with no FIDE (or CFC) Rating can beat a GM. I was hoping one of the organizers could fill us in on his chess background.

Comment

I had a student in the 90's named Ryan Campbell. As I recall he went to the World Open and won money but that was what? 30 years ago? Could it be the same one?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post

OK. This has the makings of a really good TV movie.
              Searching for Bobby Fischer or CSI?

Comment

The Doknjas brothers are all strong masters now. Each one has beaten at least one GM.

Comment

Hmm..10 years ago I'd say cheating was most likely. In this day and age, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that someone could get to 2200-2300 strength playing online and studying the game seriously. Combine that with the titled players underestimating him, beating a GM in his first OTB tournament could happen.

Comment

https://www.chess.com/member/rydrybell

I'm sure it's a coincidence.
                    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Round 6 shall start by 10:00 am.

https://view.livechesscloud.com/#39a...8-543e34839f1e

Pairings for Round 6: Canadian Open
                      Bd Res White Res Black
                      1 GM Aman Hambleton (2549 3.0 ON) Samuel Heran-Boily (1871 3.0 NS)
                      2 GM Isan Ortiz (2526 4.5 CUB) IM Nikolay Noritsyn (2557 4.5 ON)
                      3 Ryan Campbell (unr. 5.0 ON) GM Mark Paragua (2610 4.5 USA)
                      4 IM Shawn Rodrigue-Lemieux (2493 4.5 QC) IM Artiom Samsonkin (2539 4.0 ON)
                      5 IM Jason Liang (2515 4.0 ON) CM Koosha Jaferian (2336 4.0 IRI)
                      6 GM Luis Manuel Perez Rodriguez (2328 4.0 CUB) GM John Fedorowicz (2495 4.0 USA)
                      7 IM Yuanchen Zhang (2464 4.0 ON) CM Max Rusonik (2312 4.0 ON)
                      8 CM Max Chen (2299 4.0 ON) IM Olivier-Kenta Chiku-Ratte (2458 4.0 QC)

http://can-open.ca/standings.html

http://can-open.ca/pairings.html

Regards,
                      Omar Shah
                      FIDE Arbiter
                      Last edited by Omar Shah; Friday, 15th July, 2022, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Kirby View Post
                        Hmm..10 years ago I'd say cheating was most likely. In this day and age, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that someone could get to 2200-2300 strength playing online and studying the game seriously. Combine that with the titled players underestimating him, beating a GM in his first OTB tournament could happen.
                        Ryan Campbell is for real. He has been looked at closely and he is just a good player who flew in under the radar during the pandemic.

I would suggest that one defamatory post be removed because the person making such unfounded claims can be sanctioned by FIDE/CFC.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

Ryan Campbell is for real. He has been looked at closely and he is just a good player who flew in under the radar during the pandemic.

I would suggest that one defamatory post be removed because the person making such unfounded claims can be sanctioned by FIDE/CFC.
                          The penalties for making unfounded claims are similar to the penalties for cheating. It is considered an abusive tactic.

Part of the reason that I post less and less on chesstalk is that the board tolerates defamatory material. The way judgments for defamation are going in Canada it would be foolish to get involved. The lawyer fees alone can bankrupt you.

Comment

Originally posted by Henri Hughes View Post
                            apologies, was simply hard to believe
                            You were, and still are, entitled to your own guess.

No apology needed.

Comment

I think that with all of the strong software one can find these days, reaching Master level is now possible, simply by playing a lot of chess in that format, and with a lot of dedication, and some supplementary study, without heading to tournament play. That was impossible 20+ years ago. Recently at the Kingston Chess Club, I played a high school student who has never played a tournament, and he is easily 2000 strength, possibly higher. He said he plays a lot online and against software, at home.

Looks like a two-way tie at the top, in the Open, at 5.5/6, with GM Paragua and IM Rodrigue-Lemieux, so they should probably meet next round. But will it be on board one!? Smart betting money says 'NO!!' Many other strong players remain in contention in what is shaping up to be a fascinating conclusion over the weekend!!!

Comment

Round 7 Broadcast shall start by ASAP.

https://view.livechesscloud.com/#39a...8-543e34839f1e

Regards,
                                Omar

Comment

Working...
                                X