Recognize Chess as a Sport in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
    Trudeau, who is of the same ilk as Fidel :-)
    It is an historical fact that Fidel Castro attended the funeral of Pierre Trudeau.

Comment

• There are many photos from Havana 1966, with Castro among the top players. I have seen it written that Castro was Candidate Master strength. He was also an excellent baseball player in his youth, and turned down the chance for a major league contract, apparently, in the late 1940s. Havana 1966 was apparently a very well run chess Olympiad event. Canadian team members who survive today include not only GM Duncan Suttles (board 4) but IM Zvonko Vranesic (board 2) and NM Andrew Kalotay (first reserve), who lived in Kingston in that era.

Pierre Trudeau, while PM, visited Cuba, and he and Castro had a friendly personal relationship. The Americans didn't like that, but they didn't like Trudeau very much, period.

I am not normally a Trudeau defender, but I will make an exception here.

Both Trudeau's who have served as Canadian PMs -- Pierre and now Justin -- can be classified as 'somewhat left of centre'; I think the term 'social democrat' fits nicely. Another good fit is 'progressive Liberal'. Lester Pearson as PM was somewhat similar, as was Mackenzie King as PM. It is a very wide gulf from there to Castro's positions and history. (Just because Trudeau and Castro were friends doesn't make Pierre a communist. I have a communist friend in Kingston, a Serbian immigrant who is a community activist; that doesn't make me a communist, and I am NOT. But he has many great stories, and is quite good at chess as well!) Castro stormed into power, in Cuba, in the late 1950s, overthrowing the right wing, corrupt Fulgencio Batista regime, and installed a communist government, without free elections. Castro seized and nationalized significant American assets, in the billions of dollars, in Cuba; hence one reason for the chill between the USA and Cuba. Cuba relied very heavily on Soviet assistance, despite many natural advantages, such as thriving agriculture sector, considerable manufacturing, significant mineral resources, bounteous fishing grounds offshore, enormous tourism potential, excellent geographical position for trade, wonderful tropical climate, world-famous products including cigars and rum, etc. There Cuba remains, poor and vastly short of its potential, more than 60 years later. Its literacy and health care are much improved from the Batista era. Many hundreds of thousands of Cubans have immigrated, mostly to the USA, where they have mostly prospered (Senator Marco Rubio, Republican of Florida, is of Cuban descent), and Cuba's population is currently in decline, according to 'The Economist 2023 world forecast issue'.

Canada has NEVER had a communist government, and has had free elections since it was founded as a self-governing nation in 1867, as well as many years before that, in its constituent parts. Canada DID HAVE an elected Communist MP, Fred Rose, during the Second World War, who was later convicted on espionage charges; he was a Soviet spy. Rose was busted in the Igor Gouzenko case, starting in September 1945. Gouzenko was a Soviet cipher clerk at their embassy in Ottawa, and he defected to Canada, with epic consequences around the world.

Comment

• Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
        Thanks, Frank. Good post! Just want to add that the United States government has never, to the best of my knowledge, accepted responsibility for the role it played in the Cuban Revolution by standing by while American corporations, and other American 'interests', exploited the Cuban peasantry and Cuban resources for their own profit.
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

• Hi Peter, Thanks for your private message. I don't know how to reply from the message center because I'm old senile and computer challenged. I have always enjoyed your posts on Chesstalk. Thanks again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Larry Castle View Post
            Hi Peter, Thanks for your private message. I don't know how to reply from the message center because I'm old senile and computer challenged. I have always enjoyed your posts on Chesstalk. Thanks again.
            Peter reached out to me too, Larry.

And I responded, ha!

I think Peter's kind of busy behind the scene(s).

Comment

• Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

Peter reached out to me too ....
              A mistake which I shall never make again.
              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

• Originally posted by Fred Harvey View Post

Peter's problem is not troll talk - it's feeding the troll that's the problem!

I wonder if these trolls would change their opinion if something like this happened to someone they care about:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...th/vi-AA169FqF

Comment

There are many photos from Havana 1966, with Castro among the top players. I have seen it written that Castro was Candidate Master strength. He was also an excellent baseball player in his youth, and turned down the chance for a major league contract, apparently, in the late 1940s. Havana 1966 was apparently a very well run chess Olympiad event. Canadian team members who survive today include not only GM Duncan Suttles (board 4) but IM Zvonko Vranesic (board 2) and NM Andrew Kalotay (first reserve), who lived in Kingston in that era.

Pierre Trudeau, while PM, visited Cuba, and he and Castro had a friendly personal relationship. The Americans didn't like that, but they didn't like Trudeau very much, period.

Both Trudeau's who have served as Canadian PMs -- Pierre and now Justin -- can be classified as 'somewhat left of centre'; I think the term 'social democrat' fits nicely. Another good fit is 'progressive Liberal'. Lester Pearson as PM was somewhat similar, as was Mackenzie King as PM. It is a very wide gulf from there to Castro's positions and history. (Just because Trudeau and Castro were friends doesn't make Pierre a communist. I have a communist friend in Kingston, a Serbian immigrant who is a community activist; that doesn't make me a communist, and I am NOT. But he has many great stories, and is quite good at chess as well!) Castro stormed into power, in Cuba, in the late 1950s, overthrowing the right wing, corrupt Fulgencio Batista regime, and installed a communist government, without free elections. Castro seized and nationalized significant American assets, in the billions of dollars, in Cuba; hence one reason for the chill between the USA and Cuba. Cuba relied very heavily on Soviet assistance, despite many natural advantages, such as thriving agriculture sector, considerable manufacturing, significant mineral resources, bounteous fishing grounds offshore, enormous tourism potential, excellent geographical position for trade, wonderful tropical climate, world-famous products including cigars and rum, etc. There Cuba remains, poor and vastly short of its potential, more than 60 years later. Its literacy and health care are much improved from the Batista era. Many hundreds of thousands of Cubans have immigrated, mostly to the USA, where they have mostly prospered (Senator Marco Rubio, Republican of Florida, is of Cuban descent), and Cuba's population is currently in decline, according to 'The Economist 2023 world forecast issue'.

Canada has NEVER had a communist government, and has had free elections since it was founded as a self-governing nation in 1867, as well as many years before that, in its constituent parts. Canada DID HAVE an elected Communist MP, Fred Rose, during the Second World War, who was later convicted on espionage charges; he was a Soviet spy. Rose was busted in the Igor Gouzenko case, starting in September 1945. Gouzenko was a Soviet cipher clerk at their embassy in Ottawa, and he defected to Canada, with epic consequences around the world.
                  Dear Frank, thank you for this interesting information, but communism does not figure into it. In case you are confused about Canada having become a totalitarian client state of the WEF consequent to WEF infiltration of cabinet and leadership (Trudeau is a WEF-trained "young leader"), this should wake you up.

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/...07938438053888

Comment

There are many photos from Havana 1966, with Castro among the top players. I have seen it written that Castro was Candidate Master strength. He was also an excellent baseball player in his youth, and turned down the chance for a major league contract, apparently, in the late 1940s. Havana 1966 was apparently a very well run chess Olympiad event. Canadian team members who survive today include not only GM Duncan Suttles (board 4) but IM Zvonko Vranesic (board 2) and NM Andrew Kalotay (first reserve), who lived in Kingston in that era.

Thank you for the interesting post Frank. It's neat to remember important stuff we've semi-forgotten.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

I wonder if these trolls would change their opinion if something like this happened to someone they care about:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...th/vi-AA169FqF
                      To make it clear in case you are extremely oblivious, you are one of these trolls.

The health care system is collapsing and has been collapsing for a long time. This collapse is not due to lack of funds as Canada has one of the largest health budgets, per capita, in the world. The priorities (often driven by political considerations) of the health care system is the biggest problem of the health care system. Spending more money will not solve the problems of the health care system.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                        You are welcome Bob. While I vehemently disagree with most of your politics, I still like you as a person who I recall fondly. You are always respectful. I remember a game we played where you played very stubbornly despite the rating difference.
                        LOL. Ask Bob why I am laughing.

Comment

To make it clear in case you are extremely oblivious, you are one of these trolls.

The health care system is collapsing and has been collapsing for a long time. This collapse is not due to lack of funds as Canada has one of the largest health budgets, per capita, in the world. The priorities (often driven by political considerations) of the health care system is the biggest problem of the health care system. Spending more money will not solve the problems of the health care system.
                          Says someone with a clear vested interest in taxpayer money that could go into health care instead going to chess.

To begin with, if money were right now allocated to pay nurses for full time jobs with benefits instead of part time hours without benefits that they are currently offered, that would have an immediate impact. So it is an outright LIE to say money would not help the health care problems, but I notice you instead wrote "solve" the problems, a subtle wording that means to say if we can't completely solve all the problems, we should instead do NOTHING. Not even solve SOME of the problems.

And so people die or suffer waiting for service at ERs.

Comment

• Where is Mr D. Smith when you need him?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

Says someone with a clear vested interest in taxpayer money that could go into health care instead going to chess.

To begin with, if money were right now allocated to pay nurses for full time jobs with benefits instead of part time hours without benefits that they are currently offered, that would have an immediate impact. So it is an outright LIE to say money would not help the health care problems, but I notice you instead wrote "solve" the problems, a subtle wording that means to say if we can't completely solve all the problems, we should instead do NOTHING. Not even solve SOME of the problems.

And so people die or suffer waiting for service at ERs.
                              They would fire more nurses just like they did last time the nurses got a big raise.

Comment

You have a good insight into what is really going on in our Public systems, Vlad. PP may be arguing in good faith, but he does not seem to realize that if all the money for chess is diverted into our health care system, it will get used up in meeting after meeting after meeting amongst administrators and administrators and administrators, talking about whether to hire nurses, how to hire nurses, where to hire nurses, when to hire nurses, which nurses to hire, etc. etc. etc., till time and money both run out... and even if they eventually hire new nurses, it will be to administer drugs pushed, by hook or by crook, by big-pharma... very likely not a single extra nurse will get hired in the ERs... (we could save a lot of money, and avoid a lot of drug related toxicity, by simply rationalizing the prescription of expensive medications)
                                Last edited by Dilip Panjwani; Thursday, 12th January, 2023, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X