Isle of Man 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top womens pairings round 9: Stefanova vs Vaishali, Garifullina vs Anna Muzychuk

Comment

• Top pairings open round 9: Caruana vs Deac, Vidit vs Esipenko, Nakamura vs Cheparinov

Comment

• Rd 9 Amin vs Shawn RL

Comment

• Brief mention of successful chess couples of whom there are many in chess. In this tournament we have a couple who are battling for first in the open and the womens! Ivan Cheparinov and Antoaneta Stefanova from Bulgaria.

Comment

• How strong is this tournament? Well Brazilian star Alexander Fier cant seem to get a win. After 8 rounds he is winless and stuck near the bottom.

Comment

• Another indication of how strong the tournament is the Indian contingent. Fourteen of their very best players and almost all would say they are underperforming but in most cases their performance rating is higher than their actual rating! Only Vidit is currently doing very well - he is currently tied for first place.

Comment

• I have another reason to enjoy watching Shawn RL's game. His opponent Amin has played the Fischer exchange variation of the Caro-Kann. I used to love playing it. (maybe one of the bad things I learned from Fischer lol) I dont have a very good score with it but there is something about the symmetry of the pieces. However the computer doesnt think much of it which bodes well for Shawn. Many variations end with equal evaluation which gives us hope for Shawn's chances.

Comment

• Although I post a lot of my observations here I do refrain at times (I know its hard to believe). But in this case I will mention I dont understand the thinking in the Keymer Srin game (specifically from Sarin) After Nxd4 Sarin is a pawn down but why give the queen? Now he's hopelessly lost.

Comment

• Very interesting pawn play (and pawn sack) and maneuverings in the Caruana game. It will be interesting to see what follows.

Comment

• and we have a miniature this round! Zhalmakhanov who had a great first half and is still doing well has been caught in middlegame tactics by Duda!

Comment

• Alice Lee is playing another legend Arakhamia - Grant. Lets hope it goes better for her this time.

Comment

• Congratulations Shawn!! Shawn drew his 9th round game against Amin and this should give him the grandmaster title! (final norm). Shawn has been having a memorable tournament. His opponents have all been well over 2600 and Shawn has played 7 of the top 100 players in the world!! (The average of his nine opponents ratings is over 2650.)

Comment

• Firoujza - Aravindh The computer says equal but dont two rooks and a knight for black win over a queen and a few pawns if the rooks are coordinated?

Comment

• Abdusattorov starts a long combination on move 22 with Nxf2 which ends with his opponents resignation on move 40. I guess you could say 20 moves. Impressive build up of threats.

Comment

• Humourous finsih in Warmerdam Tabatabaei.

Comment

Working...
                                X