Isle of Man 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caruana couldnt finish well. Disappointing. He was there until Nakamura took him out.

Comment

• Shawn Rodrigue-Lemieux - fantastic tournament 5 points 2622 performance, played 8 of the top 100 in the world! Congratulations Shawn!

New rating Fide 2507
      Last edited by Hans Jung; Sunday, 5th November, 2023, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• Biggest Fide gainers Vidit 22.4 rating points and now #16 in the world. Also Esipenko 21 points. Biggest loser of points Gukesh loses 26.

Comment

• https://en.chessbase.com/post/grand-swiss-2023-r11 Last round report

Comment

• Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
            I really think this is Nakamura's moment to shine. I think the timing is right for him to go for the world championship both his age 36, and his best form and the chance before all these young superstars with strong nerves finally overtake him.
            I think even if he was to win, he'd be like Karpov in 1975 - technically the champ, but everyone believes there's someone stronger out there. I don't think Naka could then go on the same kind of validating run Karpov did, and the resulting backlash would probably more harmful to his reputation than beneficial.

Comment

• Thats interesting. I guess it depends on how its viewed. You could ask any of the Fide champs how they feel about it. (eg. Khalifman, Ponomariov, Kasimzhanov, Topalov) I have asked Topalov and he felt defintely at the time he was the strongest in the world and he's proud of that. I suppose if it happened it would be how Nakamura himself viewed it. I have found him lately to be down to earth in his approach and logical and I therefore doubt there would be a backlash that would be harmful to his reputation.

Comment

• https://en.chessbase.com/post/isle-o...hessbase-india videos and tales of Isle of Man

Comment

Thats interesting. I guess it depends on how its viewed. You could ask any of the Fide champs how they feel about it. (eg. Khalifman, Ponomariov, Kasimzhanov, Topalov) I have asked Topalov and he felt defintely at the time he was the strongest in the world and he's proud of that. I suppose if it happened it would be how Nakamura himself viewed it. I have found him lately to be down to earth in his approach and logical and I therefore doubt there would be a backlash that would be harmful to his reputation.
                  I'd argue that Khalifman, Ponomariov, and Kasimzhanov are not really seen by anyone as "former world champs", and that several of them ended up worse off after winning than they were before.

Topalov is a different story. He at least won his FIDE title in a semi reasonable format, and at the time he won, there wasn't really a viable alternative that you could say "that guy is clearly better than Topalov". Kramnik was there, but struggling with health issues and not exactly steamrolling everyone, so Topalov could have the case of "I won this, and I'm arguably the best player in the world anyways". I at least would be a lot more open to his claim than the other three you mention.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post

I think even if he was to win, he'd be like Karpov in 1975 - technically the champ, but everyone believes there's someone stronger out there. I don't think Naka could then go on the same kind of validating run Karpov did, and the resulting backlash would probably more harmful to his reputation than beneficial.
                    No need to go to the far future. The current situation - yeah Ding is the champion but ...

Comment

• Kasimzhanov and Khalifman are worldwide respected trainers and were never "hurt" by their winning of the Fide world championship. Of course they both had a reasonable view about it and didnt make any claims of being best in the world. Ponomariov I dont know but he never had a lack of invitations to tournaments and he was always first and foremost a player.So I guess what Im taking issue with is the claim that it would be harmful to his reputation.

Comment

Thanks for sharing David. Readers need to know. They are also sponsoring the candidates in Toronto in April 2024 (just six months away) Thats a big first for Canada.
                        I just can't find what venue will it be in? Does anyone know any details? Internet is mum about it.

Comment

• According to "reliable sources", no site has been found/announced. At this late stage- i wouldn't expect a prime downtown location.

Comment

• FYI, I have written a profile of Isai Scheinberg on the Ricochet website. It includes details of his legal problems in the US, an interview with the CEO of chess.com where Scheinberg was an investor, and interesting information from court documents. You can read it here: https://ricochet.media/en/4009/how-a...ided-jail-time

Comment

• Interesting read and cutting edge journalism Cecil!

Comment

• I for one am grateful that Mr. Scheinberg supports chess in a big way. Just loved watching the Isle of Man tournament and cant wait for the candidates to happen in Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                                X