This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ClimateGate - A Question for Ed Seedhouse and Paul Beckwith

Do you think that ClimateGate (Climate Gate) has and/or will hurt the movement to do something about what many believe, i.e., Global Warming caused by man?

I already know you are strong believers, but, I am curious about the effects of the scandal, for lack of a better word.

Re: ClimateGate - A Question for Ed Seedhouse and Paul Beckwith

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
    Do you think that ClimateGate (Climate Gate) has and/or will hurt the movement to do something about what many believe, i.e., Global Warming caused by man?
    That depends largely on how much press it is given and how it is spun.

I already know you are strong believers, but, I am curious about the effects of the scandal, for lack of a better word.
    I am NOT a "strong believer" and I consider it an insult for you to call me that. All anyone has to do to convince me that "global warning" is not real or not caused largely by humans has to do is to provide actual evidence that this is so. I have seen none as yet so I remain convinced by the current evidence, which is overwhelmingly that global warming is indeed occurring and that it is largely caused by the activity of people.

Comment

The last glaciation centered on the huge ice sheets of North America and Eurasia. Considerable areas in the Alps, the Himalaya and the Andes were ice-covered, and Antarctica remained glaciated.
      Canada was nearly completely covered by ice, as well as the northern part of the USA, both blanketed by the huge Laurentide ice sheet. Alaska remained mostly ice free due to arid climate conditions. Local glaciations existed in the Rocky Mountains, the Cordilleran ice sheet and as ice fields and ice caps in the Sierra Nevada in northern California.[1] (from Wikipedia)

Our glaciers and ice caps are actually remnants of the last 'glacial period' which peaked around 18,000 years ago when ice sheets extended all the way to New York-
      the entire Great Lakes are just one little puddle left over from this vast ice sheet that has been MELTING for 18,000 YEARS!

Please provide evidence that global warming since last glacial period cause by human activity.
      A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

I already know you are strong believers
        No, they are not.

+1 Ed Seedhouse

The question sounds like it comes from somebody who does not understand the
        Scientific Method.

That is a weakness of what you call the movement. It is based upon Science. As we see every day, one gets more traction basing an appeal on fear or nostalgia or ... or even song (video here. Tom Lehrer sings Pollution.). Sure, if we succeed in keeping this car on the road, it will in some part be due to the passion of people for whom Science is not foremost. But those are people other than Paul and Ed.

You'll find different lyrics for the song. Doesn't mean that pollution is good. Sometimes he'd even name a locality, if it rhymed.

Comment

ClimateGate

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
          That depends largely on how much press it is given and how it is spun.
          (Maybe supporter would be a better word? Maybe you could tell me what word would be more appropriate?)

Is this really about "spinning" or reality here? If this "scandal" is a fact, then it is not about spinning, but about what is real and what is not. The actions taken by those involved remind me of many in the OBAMA government!

Here is another story which one can't tell yet whether it is for publicity or really serious.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...imate-dispute/

With all the hyperbole being spouted (on both sides!), it is difficult for some to get a comfortable handle on this.

I find the problem to be that one cannot tell whether all the science quoted now is real or not. I am sure some is, but...

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest Klubis View Post
            Canada was nearly completely covered by ice, ...
            the entire Great Lakes are just one little puddle left over from this vast ice sheet that has been MELTING for 18,000 YEARS!
            Here's something I read in the New Scientist at the library a few days ago.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...in-months.html

Europe was plunged into a mini (1300 years) ice-age which took hold in months due to that melting glacier in North America.

Today we have a reasonably comfortable pew based upon equilibria. But change can come swiftly as world climate finds new equilibria.

The linked disaster for Europe had natural causes. But that isn't the end of the story.

Jared Diamond has an interesting theory that the reason there are so few, maybe none (they famously bred dogs for meat), domesticated meat animals developed in the New World, is that when people arrived here, their hunting technology was so advanced that they killed off all domesticable game animals before they had a chance to domesticate them. By contrast, Old World animals had evolved defences (including fear of Man) along with Man's gradual tech advances. Not having domestic animals had grave consequences, especially for the original Americans, starting with the arrival of the Conquistadores. Technological man has proven to be adept at making macro changes such as acid rain lakes, collapse of fisheries, holes in the ozone layer, loss of arable land, microclimates around cities, extinctions ... There are those who think that mother nature will infinitely absorb, without changing her face to us, the detritus of our technology. Nothing else works that way. Even in our own lives, daddy eventually tells us it is time to leave home, if we don't realize it ourselves first.

Comment

The last glaciation centered on the huge ice sheets of North America and Eurasia. Considerable areas in the Alps, the Himalaya and the Andes were ice-covered, and Antarctica remained glaciated.
              Canada was nearly completely covered by ice, as well as the northern part of the USA, both blanketed by the huge Laurentide ice sheet. Alaska remained mostly ice free due to arid climate conditions. Local glaciations existed in the Rocky Mountains, the Cordilleran ice sheet and as ice fields and ice caps in the Sierra Nevada in northern California.[1] (from Wikipedia)

Our glaciers and ice caps are actually remnants of the last 'glacial period' which peaked around 18,000 years ago when ice sheets extended all the way to New York-
              Given, purely for the sake of argument, that all of the above was true, none of it is evidence against global warming in any way, shape or form. You demand evidence from me, but apparently you don't even understand what is and is not evidence.

So, you are the one claiming that the current evidence based scientific orthodoxy is wrong, and thus it is up to you to provide the evidence, not to me. First I advise you to go get a clue about what is and what isn't evidence.

There is evidence aplenty widely published and easily available that significant global climate warming, caused by people, is presently happening. I choose to accept that evidence because it is good strong evidence and men and women who are actual climate scientists, and whom I highly respect, say so.

All I and they require to change opinion is evidence. Not rhetoric, of which you no doubt have a plentiful supply handy, but evidence.

Comment

Re: ClimateGate

I find the problem to be that one cannot tell whether all the science quoted now is real or not. I am sure some is, but...
                All one has to do talk to real actual climate scientists, and read their findings. For that, one could do worse than to start with http://www.realclimate.org/.

Comment

Is this really about "spinning" or reality here?
                  What gets in most of the public press is about 90% or more spin. If you don't understand this already then you are without any intellectual defenses at all, and at grave risk of being gulled, as indeed it appears you have been already.

Comment

What gets in most of the public press is about 90% or more spin. If you don't understand this already then you are without any intellectual defenses at all, and at grave risk of being gulled, as indeed it appears you have been already.
                    I'm surprised people from B.C. are taking such a harsh stand in view of the record on global warming.

I can't see why guys from B.C. are hung up on climate change and pollution. B.C. mines coal, other minerals, oil and gas. They have the forestry industry and the pollution from the paper mills. Every time they have a forest fire, which is often, all that pollution spews into the air. B.C. is a province which depends on pollution to sustain its citizens.

How can you explain this? B.C. doesn't even discourage pollution. They tax it to turn a buck with the carbon tax.

How about using your "intellectual defences" and explain this in a logical manner which is consistent with your stance.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Spin!

Is there any chance, Ed, that you believe/say this because I am leaning away from your opinions?

Comment

There is evidence aplenty widely published and easily available that significant global climate warming, caused by people, is presently happening. I choose to accept that evidence because it is good strong evidence and men and women who are actual climate scientists, and whom I highly respect, say so.

All I and they require to change opinion is evidence. Not rhetoric, of which you no doubt have a plentiful supply handy, but evidence.
                        Here the evidence from Encyclopedia of Earth : http://www.eoearth.org/article/glacier

"Various types of paleoclimatic evidence suggest that the climate of the Earth has varied over time. The data suggest that during most of the Earth's history, global temperatures were probably 8 to 15° Celsius warmer than they are today. However, there were periods of times when the Earth's average global temperature became cold; cold enough for the formation of alpine glaciers and continental glaciers that extended in to the higher, middle and sometimes lower latitudes. In the last billion years of Earth's history, glacial periods have started at roughly 925, 800, 680, 450, 330, and 2 million years before present (B.P.). Of these ice ages, the most severe occurred at 800 million years ago when glaciers came within 5 degrees of the equator."

Earth undergoes constant changes. The misleading assumption that it's caused by the humans is not supported by evidence that cooling and warming of Earth happened before in the very long history of Earth.

What additional evidence do you require?
                        A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

The stolen emails are from one place. All its work/research could be ignored and it would not affect the other science going on around the world. The vast majority of the raw data can be found on the web, for all to see.

No doubt the rest of the emails (only a selection was released) will be released before the next series of world talks next year.

Comment

Re : ClimateGate - A Question for Ed Seedhouse and Paul Beckwith

Here we can see how much the ice on the Mount Kilimanjaro disappeard in the past century... It is good to mention that for the past 11 000 years it was covered by ice.

Glacier Peak Wilderness in 1973

The same view as seen in 2006, where this branch of glacier retreated 1.9 kilometres (1.2 mi)

There is no need to talk about whether or not there is climate changes, but we need to find a way to stop them.

Here the evidence from Encyclopedia of Earth : http://www.eoearth.org/article/glacier
                            On the same website it's wrote that humans are responsibles of the global warming and of the retreat of glaciers.
                            Last edited by Felix Dumont; Thursday, 3rd December, 2009, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Ernest, just do some Googling yourself to find out what has caused climate change in the past (i.e. orbital changes, i.e. Milankovitch cycles have caused may ice ages in the past)...

The difference now is the level of carbon dioxide is much higher than variation with the cycles before (200 ppm for previous ice ages, <300 ppm for warm periods, and now approaching 390 ppm. Also the ocean is more acidic now than at any time in many millions of years (due to absorption of huge amounts of carbon dioxide).

Comment

Working...
                              X