The One and Only Climate Change thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: One Layman's ( My ) Position

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
    A Cadillac in the driveway is fine as long as you leave it in the driveway and never drive it. In addition it should be white or light colored (or silver with high reflectivity). With these colors that reflect sunlight back upwards it will have a higher albedo than the black asphalt on the driveway that it covers up.
    My driveway is white! :D

Unfortunately my car is black.

Paul, do a 6 month study. Is it better to have a white car in a black driveway or a black car in a white driveway?
    Only the rushing is heard...
    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

• Re: The One and Only Climate Change thread...

Bob, It's good to see you weighing into the debate on global warming. You are coming to the debate very late. There have been some very lengthy threads. When I was debating the issue, I spent some time researching on the internet. Youtube is a great source of material.

Here is one youtube video that I found excellent. It is a lecture entitled "The American denial of Global Warming" by Naomi Oreskes, Professor of History at the University of California. It is almost an hour long, but time well spent if you want to get up to speed on Global Warming. It is about 2 years old, but still very relevant.

The first half deals with the science, the second half deals with the key individuals on the skeptics side. All from an historical viewpoint.

Give it a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T4UF_Rmlio

Of course, predictably Vlad will claim she is part of the global conspiracy of climate scientists! :(

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
        Of course, predictably Vlad will claim she is part of the global conspiracy of climate scientists! :(
        Nah. I'm too busy watching chess videos...

Comment

• Human-generated Greenhouse Gases - Cattle

Hi Bob G:

I don't think I'll ever really get into this issue, in terms of source materials, etc. But I am concerned, and in a secondary way, would like to try to keep up a bit. I'll watch the video - thanks.

Here are some disconcerting facts from a vegetarian perspective I recently read ( I hope the stats are accurate ):

1. The world's livestock produce more greenhouse gases than all forms of transportation combined;
          2. 24% of all land on the planet is used for beef and dairy farming; 20% of all land is used for grazing - twice the area used for crops; 70% of all agricultural land is now used for livestock; 18% of all greenhouse gases come from cattle farming;
          ( non-climate fact: a typical meat-eater requires as much as 2.1 acres of farmland to meet annual dietary needs, compared with just half an acre for a plant-centered eater. )

Seems like this is a major source of man-generated greenhouse gases, that is under our control. Will we do anything about this aspect of global warming?

Bob

Comment

Robert Gashgarian has an interesting point of view on the whole Climate Change debacle. Even if the Climatologists are wrong, what is wrong with working towards renewable energy sources(but the scientific evidence supports them anyways)? Putting all those pollutants into our atmosphere can't be having any benefits and we will have to change energy sources once the fossil fuels run out. We might as well all work together to help change what we use to fulfill our energy needs in the future.
            University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

• Re: Human-generated Greenhouse Gases - Cattle

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post

Seems like this is a major source of man-generated greenhouse gases, that is under our control. Will we do anything about this aspect of global warming?

Bob
              If you want to see a major source of man-generated greenhouse gases come on over after I have chowed down on some bean soup.

;)

The latest studies show that carb restricted diets yield the best results from a health perspective.

Vlad Drkulec

Comment

• Social Exploitation and Climate Change

Here is a somewhat different take on Climate Change:

Social Exploitation and Climate Change

'Climate is a complex system that is little understood and even less successfully controlled by humans; environment is any system in which humans necessarily exist, and people’s relationship to this system – especially to the other people within it - in turn affect the ability of the system to sustain itself. With this in mind, it becomes more poignant to examine how our current climate problems have at their root social problems. Addressing these issues, in many cases grave human rights violations, is an immediate, effective and lasting agent of positive change, while current abstract climate rhetoric centered around the environmental symptoms eclipses the real issues and generally propagates the ‘business as usual’ strategy.'

Consider this:
                The most largest producers of C02 are tied to production and use of oil, and extraction of minerals. Every major mineral extraction venture is tied to grave human rights violations - the entire history of colonization revolves (continues to revolve) around resource domination.
                The Iraq war is motivated and fuelled by oil production, the Afghan war is arguably motivated by strategic control of mineral extraction.
                It takes the equivalent of 10, 000 cars to fuel an aircraft carrier's trip to Afghanistan.
                The greatest environmental sacrifice zone, The Athabasca Tar Sands, are a hot point for Native resistance against ongoing genocide that resource extraction has inflicted on their people.
                Regardless of their contributions overall to climate change, urban sprawl, automobile culture, and excessive consumption are directly related to pollution and toxicity which degrade standard of living at a local level.

In every instance of major environmental destruction, including greenhouse gas production, we find tied to it grave social injustices. This is something that science cannot refute. Not to say that science does not have a place in the argument, only that science removed from its social context (purposely) obscures progress. A new mentality is growing that the industrial-capitalist model that served us during the last century is at best no longer relevant, and at worst continuing to facilitate and protect those that profit off rights violations and environmental damage. Many environmental groups thus seek to check and balance these political, economic, and social issues, with the understanding that advances in social justice are synonymous with advances in environmental justice.

( written and copyright by Brian Armstrong, 2010 )

Comment

• Re: Human-generated Greenhouse Gases - Cattle

1. The world's livestock produce more greenhouse gases than all forms of transportation combined;
                  This is a claim, but where's the evidence? I notice you provide none.

In any event the wording might have been chosen to be deliberately misleading, and facts cited without context are indeed often used by those who wish to mislead others.

Now the greenhouse gass produced by livestock is methane, and a little research shows that "while methane is a more potent greenhouse gas than CO2, there is over 200 times more CO2 in the atmosphere. Hence the amount of warming methane contributes is 28% of the warming CO2 contributes."

Source here.
                  Last edited by Ed Seedhouse; Wednesday, 4th August, 2010, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• Re: Social Exploitation and Climate Change

Bob, was that written seriously?
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                      Bob, was that written seriously?
                      I thought it was from Stockwell Day...
                      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Hi Guys:

Very seriously - trying from a progressive stance to tie climate change to human rights/social exploitation.

You have a rebuttal in mind?

Bob

Comment

Interesting paper comparing scientific credentials of climate change scientists for and against AGW (anthropogenic global warming)...

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/20....full.pdf+html

If you live in the Toronto area and wish to learn more about climate change you can attend the conference at U. of T. Friday sessions on August 13 from 1 - 5 are all free...
                          http://ccc-2010.ca/registration

Comment

Hi Guys:

Very seriously - trying from a progressive stance to tie climate change to human rights/social exploitation.

Bob
                            I'll mark it. I'd give it a D. The composition rambles. It doesn't really deal with many of the points mentioned. As an example, it deals with Iraq and Afghanistan in the same sentence. While using the term "arguably", there isn't one given.

The essay jumps around the world.

"Environmental Justice" is a nice term but what does it mean? Does it mean something should be stopped under any circumstances or does it have to do with the size of the monetary compensation?

Then it takes a shot at big bad capitalism.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                              I thought it was from Stockwell Day...
                              Yeah. The only thing missing was that wet suit.

The scary part is I intend to vote for them...
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hi Guys:

Bob
                                Bob, you can tie almost any major topic to human rights / social exploitation. Religion, just to use one obvious example.

Don't believe the Star Trek vision of the 24th century. Social exploitation will go on for as long as man exists in this physical universe.

Think about the social exploitation that will be necessary if AGW theories are correct and the trend must be stopped to save the species. It will dwarf all previous exploitation.

BTW, it is a myth that humans have any "rights" at all. Just ask the Repiglicans -- er, Republicans -- who voted down a bill to pay health care costs for rescue workers from 9/11 who are now afflicted with illnesses brought on by their rescue work that infamous day. Despite their brave and heroic work, those workers have no right to good health unless they can pay for it themselves.
                                Last edited by Paul Bonham; Thursday, 5th August, 2010, 04:18 PM. Reason: grammar
                                Only the rushing is heard...
                                Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Working...
                                X