The One and Only Climate Change thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Social Exploitation and Climate Change

Gary seems to be comparing a flood in one city with a flood in an entire country. Correct me if I am wrong, but in Pakistan at least 14 million people are affected.
    I did not know there were that many people in Winnipeg. Also, I did not realize that the extent of Winnipeg rivaled that of Pakistan.

And stuff does happen, like always. The difference now is that it happens much more frequently. Gary, call up any insurance company and ask them about this; do not take my word for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
      Gary seems to be comparing a flood in one city with a flood in an entire country. Correct me if I am wrong, but in Pakistan at least 14 million people are affected.
      I did not know there were that many people in Winnipeg. Also, I did not realize that the extent of Winnipeg rivaled that of Pakistan.
      Of course there weren't that many people in Winnipeg. Any Canadian with an education should know the population of the entire nation in 1950 was less than 14 million.

Paul is cracking walnuts in hs butt and not researching his replies.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
        Yes, Gary. The United Nations is a pressure group. It's suppose to be a pressure group. It pressures the nations of the world to do the right thing, like not starting wars and stuff.

Now they are pressuring us not to destroy the environment! :D
        Then why do they want money? If the world is ending what use is money to them?

Did you ever think maybe you're being had?
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
          When such event happens every 60-100 years, you may call it ##. However, large scale floods became more popular.

Global warming has some benefits too: the open Arctic passage, more grounds, as there are less ice :D
          It shouldn't happen to Winnipeg again. Part of the rebuilding was to build a floodway. When the river gets high they open the gates and the water bypasses the city as far as I know. The river flows South to North and towns south of Winnipeg also get flooded.

This is a bad year to use for weather distubances. That huge volcano which blew in Iceland which was enough to disrupt air traffic. Big oil well blowout in the Gulf of Mexico. I'd be more surprised if there were no disturbances after that.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Yes Gary. Sh#t happens. It is global warming according to 97% of the experts.

You remind me of the black knight in Monty Python's The Holy Grail. Without arms or legs, "it's not global warming, it's only a flesh wound, I've had worse" :D
            Yes, Bob. 97% of chess players plod along and play the game. The other 3% study the game and play new an innovative material. Those 3% are called Grand Masters.

Whether in chess or organizing be one of the 3% who excel.

There's a big difference between "weather" and "whether". :D
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              Yes, Bob. 97% of chess players plod along and play the game. The other 3% study the game and play new an innovative material. Those 3% are called Grand Masters.

Whether in chess or organizing be one of the 3% who excel.

There's a big difference between "weather" and "whether". :D
              That analogy is completely ridiculous, the 97% are climatologists who are currently researching and publishing papers on global warming, they are just as knowledgeable in the subject(if not more) then the 3% who don't believe anthropogenic global warming is occurring. so all of the 100% would be GMs for your analogy to make any sense. Those 3 percent can be the ones who try and play a dubious opening novelty and get immediately crushed because of their stupidity.
              University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Cormier View Post
                That analogy is completely ridiculous, the 97% are climatologists who are currently researching and publishing papers on global warming, they are just as knowledgeable in the subject(if not more) then the 3% who don't believe anthropogenic global warming is occurring. so all of the 100% would be GMs for your analogy to make any sense. Those 3 percent can be the ones who try and play a dubious opening novelty and get immediately crushed because of their stupidity.
                I posted the following and there was no comment. So I'll post it again.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1664529/

Like weather, opinions vary. Many can write a paper to support either side of a position.

There are many political partys in this country pushing expensive climate changing solutions. All we need is one that doesn't. I expect the Ontario government to change next election to a Conservative government. People seem to be getting tired of a tax raise every time the Liberals win. The Liberals know it because they dropped that unpopular eco tax but are still stuck with the unpopular HST.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I posted the following and there was no comment. So I'll post it again.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1664529/
                  I read it before. :) I found no reason to comment. :(

I am always hoping that you (or Vlad) will eventually post something to convince me that global warming is not real. Sadly, not yet. But do keep trying. :D

Comment

I am always hoping that you (or Vlad) will eventually post something to convince me that global warming is not real. Sadly, not yet. But do keep trying. :D
                    Where would I have to go to see a death certificate with the cause of death being "global warming"?
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

• Re: The One and Only Climate Change thread...

Gary that article is pathetic we will only be able to adapt for so long, if the planet keeps on getting hotter and hotter at a faster rate then we are able to adapt to it we will die, everything on this planet will die. Paul has already posted an article about the rice crop problems, more and more problems much worse then this will continue to rise up in the future if we don't do something about global warming. My expectation of the future is that eventually the area on and near the equator will become uninhabitable to humans during the summer months(but that is many years in the future) because of the intensity of the heat.
                      Last edited by Adam Cormier; Friday, 13th August, 2010, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Cormier View Post
                        Paul has already posted an article about the rice crop problems, more and more problems much worse then this will continue to rise up in the future if we don't do something about global warming. My expectation of the future is that eventually the area on and near the equator will become inhabitable to humans during the summer months(but that is many years in the future) because of the intensity of the heat.
                        The secret of making predictions is never to give a date.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

So now we add to the huge pile of things Gary doesn't understand but thinks he does, the rating system! The ninetey seventh percentile for rated players actually starts well below 2200. My own rating peaked over that percentage twenty years ago, and I'm no GM nor ever was.

Not that I expect Gary to break form by letting mere facts stand in the way of his opinions about ratings.
                          Last edited by Ed Seedhouse; Thursday, 12th August, 2010, 09:30 PM.

Comment

The secret of making predictions is never to give a date.
                            Religions should learn to do that...unfulfilled prophecies/predictions

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
                              So now we add to the huge pile of things Gary doesn't understand but thinks he does, the rating system! The ninetey seventh percentile for rated players actually starts well below 2200. My own rating peaked over that percentage twenty years ago, and I'm no GM nor ever was.
                              GM is an international title so I looked at those ratings and can't seem to locate your 2200 rating. Fide must have made a terrible mistake and failed to publish your rating.

There are some 1300 GM's and I have to admit I didn't know they were rating players as low as 1500 and listing the unrated players to keep the percentages down.

So tell me Mr. Know It All. Where would I go to find a death certificate which gives the cause of death as global warming?
                              Last edited by Gary Ruben; Thursday, 12th August, 2010, 10:38 PM.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

GM is an international title so I looked at those ratings...
                                So when you said "97% of chess players" then, You didn't mean what you actually said? Silly me for thinking you might actually mean what you say then!

Well, the record on this forum shows that you rarely stand behind your own words so I suppose we should hardly be surprised. Perhaps you are angling for a job in politics, but if so you need to spin a bit less transparantly than you do, I think.

What that may or may not say about your character and credibility I will leave for others to decide upon.

Comment

Working...
                                X