The One and Only Climate Change thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The One and Only Climate Change thread...

Paul Bonham- Jon Stewart did a segment on that called, I give up, republicans have no morals...or atleast the ones that shot down that bill.
    University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

• Re: Social Exploitation and Climate Change

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
      Think about the social exploitation that will be necessary if AGW theories are correct and the trend must be stopped to save the species. It will dwarf all previous exploitation.
      What is social exploitation?
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hi Gary:

Breach of rights, usually of the more vulnerable. But when it comes to crunch action to combat climate change, maybe all our rights are going to be restricted.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
          Hi Gary:

Breach of rights, usually of the more vulnerable. But when it comes to crunch action to combat climate change, maybe all our rights are going to be restricted.

Bob
          I guess then "social exploitation" could apply to almost anything.

Climate change is a bit more specific. Solar energy was supposed to be a good alternative for more conventional electricity. Yet I notice one company with operations in Europe is trying to get rid of their solar division. Here is something from their recent quarter report.

"Solar power is, and for the foreseeable future will be, affected by and largely dependent on the existence of government incentives. Reductions in feed-in tariffs for solar energy announced in the Company's fiscal 2010 fourth quarter in Germany and France, and increased industry inventory levels and capacity, particularly from low-cost manufacturers in Asia, are expected to have a negative impact on average selling prices per watt." (They are currently working on fiscal 2011.)

You may be reading about the problems this year with grain yields. Millions of unplanted acres in Western Canada because of rain, problems in Australia, now Russia won't allow exports of wheat, corn, barley and other grains until the end of the year and that might be extended. That due to drought and fires. The prices for wheat, up it shoots due to supply and demand and I suppose it would fall into the category of "social exploitation".

On the other hand, it appears people are free to do what they want. A company in BC has closed one of their paper mills because it's unprofitable. They wanted lower labour costs and lower property taxes and the union and jurisdiction wouldn't go for it. They had been shut down for a year or more and wanted to restart. So they have permanently shut the large mill and are decommissioning the plant. Ed probably knows the company I'm writing about. I don't know what the endgame on this will be but it's a company whose shares I like to buy and sell. They still have 4 operating mills remaining. Three in BC and 1 in the U.S. as far as I know. They trade for 13 cents a share. Bought a whack yesterday.

I don't think there is any "social exploitation" here. The town has the right to charge whatever taxes they want and a court has upheld that. The union has the right to not work for less than their negotiated rate and nobody has to work if he doesn't want. The company doesn't have to run the mill in that area if they can't make money.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

• Re: The One and Only Climate Change thread...

Here's a great article on Global Warming, in case you missed it.

CLICK HERE!
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
              Hi Gary:

Bob
              You hit the nail on the head. The nanny state will use this or any other manufactured crisis as an excuse to restrict our rights even more than they already have been.

Comment

Another massive ice shelf breakup. Combine that with the unprecedented Russian heatwaves, unprecedented flooding in Pakistan and now China, and the case for climate change induced weather extremes builds (and Vlad just harps about "nanny state").

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100810/.../eu_ice_island

Comment

Food shortages are almost a sure thing soon. The Asian fires are expected to reduce grain production by 40% (which is a world reduction of .4 x .25 = 10%). Combine that with reduced North American production due to heavy rains and we could have a large shortage soon.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/oneworld/201...94361281546645

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
                    Another massive ice shelf breakup. Combine that with the unprecedented Russian heatwaves, unprecedented flooding in Pakistan and now China, and the case for climate change induced weather extremes builds (and Vlad just harps about "nanny state").

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100810/.../eu_ice_island
                    ObPrincess Bride: "You keep using that word but I don't think it means what you think it means."

Pakistan has had 66 major floods since 1900. China's history is full of major floods. There is nothing unprecedented there.

With regard to the nanny state I am just heeding Milan Vukadinov's chess proverb about the importance of pretending to be looking at the potatoes but then grabbing the meat. This is very much the game which is afoot.

Whatever the temperature, we will survive and thrive.

Comment

Food shortages are almost a sure thing soon. The Asian fires are expected to reduce grain production by 40% (which is a world reduction of .4 x .25 = 10%). Combine that with reduced North American production due to heavy rains and we could have a large shortage soon.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/oneworld/201...94361281546645
                      Keep predicting it. Someday you will be right. :p

Comment

Vlad's source can be "The Princess Bride" (that is his choice, it makes for good comedy); however my sources are somewhat more relevant and factual.

What is unprecedented with the Pakistan floods is the scope and extent; according the the United Nations.
                        http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/new...cades-acro.asp

For an excellent description of the flood dynamics; I find that this link explains things in a straightforward fashion...
                        http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/new...rlds-worst.asp

For a summary of recent worldwide extreme weather events the following link is useful.
                        http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/new...her-extr-1.asp
                        Note that there are many different climate models that operate on many different assumptions and boundary conditions. However they almost unanimously predict more extreme weather conditions (in a warming world); dry places get drier, wet places get wetter, etc. etc.

As for Moscow, notice that Vlad does not post any opinion. For the incredible facts, this link below is a good start:
                        http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/new...ge-on-near.asp

Comment

What is unprecedented with the Pakistan floods is the scope and extent; according the the United Nations.
                          Well, that proves nothing and I consider the United Nations a pressure group.

Big floods are nothing new. I remember the Winnipeg Flood 1950 (you can google that). It was a biggie. Large areas of the city were evacuated. I can recall people going to their homes in boats if they had a 2 story home. One story homes were flooded. After awhile the flood waters receded.

I can remember going to the river with my father in the middle of the night. I spent hours in the dark and then the sun filling sand bags The men were piling them up. Of course, the dyke broke but not where we were working. A few streets away. There were hundreds of men there as I recall. I was not very old.

Sh#t happens, Paul. It's not global warming. It's life. You start over and rebuild.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                            Well, that proves nothing and I consider the United Nations a pressure group.
                            Yes, Gary. The United Nations is a pressure group. It's suppose to be a pressure group. It pressures the nations of the world to do the right thing, like not starting wars and stuff.

Now they are pressuring us not to destroy the environment! :D

Comment

Winnipeg Flood 1950
                              Sh#t happens, Paul. It's not global warming. It's life. You start over and rebuild.
                              When such event happens every 60-100 years, you may call it ##. However, large scale floods became more popular.

Global warming has some benefits too: the open Arctic passage, more grounds, as there are less ice :D

Comment

Yes Gary. Sh#t happens. It is global warming according to 97% of the experts.

You remind me of the black knight in Monty Python's The Holy Grail. Without arms or legs, "it's not global warming, it's only a flesh wound, I've had worse" :D

Comment

Working...
                                X