Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CFC - Chess promotion idea!

Perhaps one day.

We also have a powerpoint presentation that we use in the malls which generates a little interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
      We also have a powerpoint presentation that we use in the malls which generates a little interest.
      Had you analyzed why there is only a little interest?

Comment

Perhaps I chose the wrong words. I should have left out "little".

We have done simuls in public locations where the general public take on the master, with a few club players in the mix. In these demonstrations we set up our giant chess set, and have an information table with our Alberta Chess Reports, information pamplets, club information, photos, etc... and we also run a powerpoint presentation at the same time (continuous loop). Prior to such events we do a press release to the local media. We've been successful in getting radio, tv and newspapers to come out and provide coverage. Prior to these events, we do publicity within the chess community while the venue does publicity directed towards the general public. We take down everyone's name who plays in the simul, including their email address. We also have a sheet where people can add their name and email address to get on our mailing list.

This year the Calgary Chess Club will have a professional display built which they will use at these types of events. We will be doing a trade show as well. The more people who see you, the better.

Comment

Thnx for a clarification.

a trade show
          Just curious - was a chess display ever at the Ex (Canadian National Exhibition) in Toronto?
          (and how much would it be to have one?)
          Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Thursday, 4th February, 2010, 06:07 PM.

Comment

I seem to recall that there was something at the CNE years ago, but I can't recall exactly what was set up there. I'm sure there are others on this board that recall this.

Comment

I seem to recall that there was something at the CNE years ago, but I can't recall exactly what was set up there. I'm sure there are others on this board that recall this.
              Today 05:04 PM
              There was the CNE Open which took place over Labour Day weekend, 1971. Boris Spassky (and myself) took part. It was played on the mezzanine level of the Automotive Building - probably the noisiest tournament in which I have ever played. (Pal Benko and Robert Byrne went 6-0; Laszlo Witt and Spassky 5.5-0.5. It was also Bryon Nickoloff's first tournament).

A few years back, there was some kind of (outdoor) chess exhibit at the CNE - I forget whether it was a simul, or just one game with a master playing blitz against all comers (maybe for a fee?).

Comment

I recall talk about a master with a booth at the CNE circa 1997. It was blitz against all comers. As I recall trinkets were given out as prizes but I cant remember the player and what he charged. I'll post if it comes to me. At the Western Fair in London, Ontario in 1990 I did blitz chess two games and 3 games at a time for 2 dollars a game. I got the idea from Bob Edwards who did it at more than one fair in the 70's and 80's. I advertised lessons as well and got a good number of students (about 40 names on a list which translated to a dozen students). Steve Demmery also did it about 5 years ago and was more successful than me but I dont recall numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Love View Post
                  You can even make your job easier by doing a copy and paste of your phamphlet in chesstalk or collecting e-mail addresses to an address book then send then at once. At least you save paper and the trees. Go GREEN!
                  ?? what are you talking about? How is that going to put the pamphlet in the hands of a random stranger who doesn't read chesstalk? These pamphlets aren't going to already people already in the chess community.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                    ?? what are you talking about? How is that going to put the pamphlet in the hands of a random stranger who doesn't read chesstalk? These pamphlets aren't going to already people already in the chess community.

Do what you think is working but I don't know how you feel when you find the pamphlet you just handed over ended up in the garbage can? At least in the electronic world, you won't even notice if someone ever read your ad/s! :(

Comment

Re: CNE - Chess promotion idea!

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                      Just curious - was a chess display ever at the Ex (Canadian National Exhibition) in Toronto?
                      (and how much would it be to have one?)
                      A few Canadian Championships (and side junior tournaments) were played at the Ex (usually upstairs Automobile building) in the 1930s.

In the 1950s there were annual OCA chess tournaments at the spring Craft & Hobby Show, one year a match between the Canadian and Russian Champions by telegraph.

Circa 1977 there was an Ontario Closed and Man versus Machine on the second floor of the Colesium. Also street hustler Joe Smolij on display.

I've worked at the CNE and I think it's a viable summer job for young chess masters to set up a booth where people can win prizes for beating the master, perhaps with higher fees for better time or piece odds. They do have pool tables to try trick shots, so maybe solving checkmate problems within a time limit may be an option. Games at the CNE have to be winnable, not booth 100% - public 0%. Losers could get a 10% off gift certificate for Strategy Games. But most booths are under the umbrella of a larger company that pays insurance, etc.

There are all kinds of community fairs where simults or challenge the master can be done. Is there any fair in Canada where a chessplayer has made money?

You've reminded me to visit the CNE archives for any photos of the historic chess events. Maybe I should ask about the procedure of appying for a booth, if any young masters are interested in hanging out there.

Comment

Working...
                      X