Keres Early Bird rate ends May 1.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Keres Early Bird rate ends May 1.

Hi Ben, The hotel is very accessible by public transit or car. I hope you reconsider playing in the Keres. And bring a few friends as well.

This location is accessible by skytrain and free shuttle from the Vancouver airport. Take the Canada line to the airport and transfer to the free shuttle to the Delta Vancouver Airport. Free shuttles from Vancouver International Airport (5 minute trip) run every 20 minutes.

Richmond is a very central location. At least 1 million people live within 30 minutes by transit or car. Richmond is only 30 minutes from the US border and the hotel is just off hwy 99 (I-5 turns into 99 at the border).

Other than downtown Vancouver I can't think of a better location in the lower mainland for the majority of people.

Comment

Forgot to mention. There are many restaurants in Richmond within a short drive. You can also take the free shuttle to the airport for fast food or restaurant meals at YVR. http://www.vancouver-travel-tips.com...r-airport.html

There is even a Tim Hortons at YVR

Best Coffee at Vancouver Airport: Tie: Starbucks & Tim Hortons. The each have multiple locations. Starbucks is dependably strong, but Tim Hortons is a Canadian tradition (they also serves a large selection of donuts, bagels, and sandwiches).

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
        According to whom is the playing site much nicer?
        Eye of the beholder. Not everyone will give the same answer: neighbourhood around 16th and Kingsway versus the no-neighbourhood of an airport hotel. BTW, AFAIR, this same (Delta) hotel was the site of the 1989 BC playdowns for the (XIOS GEMS) Chess Challenge.

My reading of tournament reports over the years indicates that people usually prefer hotels as tournament sites. At least in North America.

The 2002 Canadian Closed took place at a different airport hotel in Richmond. With all the car traffic, walking to civilization--Richmond style--was unpleasant. But once you arrived, there was a great selection of restaurants. You might wonder why Vancouver's Chinatown is a shadow of its former self--answer: much of it moved to Richmond.

The public transit connection as Brian describes it seems OK. For those out-of-towners who balk at the idea of eating at an airport (in some countries you can't even get into an airport), the situation at YVR is not as bad as at, say, LAX. The food is not as overpriced as it typically is at an airport, and if you go to the food area at International Departures, you can admire art (huge statue by Bill Reid) while you eat. Flying Wedge Pizza was OK, last time I tried it. "Personally", though, I like to walk, across the street to four blocks (1 km) away, for tournament restaurant meals. But it's not a deal breaker.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
          You were the guy who told me that the old Kingsway location was difficult to get to for locals..... I'm surprised that people would think the Shaw location last year was easier too.

There is a reasonably priced restaurant (part of the hotel) that is by the marina.
          Well, HCC was difficult relative to CCC but the Delta is difficult relative to any of the sites of the past few years.

Anyway, I'll look into the shuttle route Brian suggested. This route should probably be listed above "By SkyTrain to Templeton Station and a ~ 1km walk", fwiw, as the latter is way more difficult than it sounds.
          everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Re: Time Control Question-90mins+60secs/move

Small question: From the advertisment
            (http://keresmemorial.pbworks.com)
            "Time Control: Game 90 minutes+60 sec increment"

Is the increment listed correctly?

Michael Yip

Comment

That's correct Michael. Are you planning to play?
              Paul Leblanc
              Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Re: Time Control Question-90mins+60secs/move

that time control (G/90 + 60 sec. increment) has been used for the Keres for the last 2 or 3 years. It is a pretty slow control (typically 5 hour game).

Comment

Thanks Roger

I was just curious as I'm playing all 90mins/40;plus 30min+30secs in the First Saturday RRs in Budapest.

Sorry Paul I wasn't planning to play. It's a long and expensive trip for a weekend swiss and I'm planning to play in the Zalakaros open later his month.

Michael Yip
                  Last edited by Michael Yip; Tuesday, 11th May, 2010, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X