Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for Jean Hebert

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    Paul, don't forget Gary's acceptance is contingent upon an appearance fee. Perhaps if we offered to cover his postage costs? ;):D:D

I guess the "official" team has had two refusals so far. Somewhere there must be 5 players who want to travel to Siberia in late September to carry the hopes and aspiration of Canadians in all the povinces and territories.

I would have thought the board order for the official team would be important so a player could better prepare, but realize NOW that only a pulse is required.

Have passport, Will Travel. Nice team motto.

You do realize Jean has an Olympic Bronze medal? The Canadian Champion has an Olympic Bronze medal for Canada from the correspondence Olympiad. In case you're curious, he was board 1.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
      I think that when Jean sees the quality of the unofficial pay-your-own-way (Olympiad) team that he may wake up tomorrow and change his mind.

Unofficial pay-your-own-way grassroots team
      1st board: Vlad Drkulec
      2nd board: Paul Beckwith
      3rd board: Gary Ruben
      4th board: Ed Seedhouse
      5th board: Bob Gillanders
      6th board: Paul Bonham
      This is a Disney movie waiting to happen! Forget the Anaheim Mighty Ducks, these are the Climate Changing Canucks!

We leave the port of Montreal by solar powered raft, fighting Gulf Stream oil slicks, rescuing dolphins caught in tuna fish nets, and coughing up volcanic ash to stop in Reykjavik and pick up the Icelandic team (accompanying us because their propellor driven planes were repossessed by insolvent Icelandic banks and sit idle in locked hangars).

We scoot down to Portugal, where we join Kevin Spraggett and help recolonize a few Portuguese vampire bats in the coastal caves. We are almost too exhausted to post on Spraggett's blog the pics we take of the bikini-clad girls that follow Spraggett around. Both Spraggett and the girls, who make up the rest of the Portuguese chess team, pack to join us. Bobby G has to assert his iron rule to get the girls to leave behind their bulky luggage bags full of plush toys, Seventeen magazines, and Jonas Bros. paraphenalia.

Sunrise and we are off again, rounding Gibraltar and next reaching the shores of Greece. We disembark there to film the latest riots: we could have done that in Spain, but we want the audience to see democracy end where it originated. Beckwith narrates in true Eric Idle fashion and reminds the audience that chess is indeed life, and when you strip away the thin veneer of civilization, like stripping away your pawn protection, what results is a bloodbath. We have to drag Ed and Gary away from the fighting, Ed supporting the Greek unions and Gary joining the government side because they're against Ed.... and because they might let him vote.

We are then off to Turkey, where we exchange our raft for a caravan of camels. We travel only at night to avoid Kurd rebels and (going up through Georgia) Chechen militants and Russian tanks. We daub some of the oil we cleaned up on the Atlantic on our faces to help avoid detection.

Leaving the camels behind, we now trek through vast forests, slowed down by Beckwith's constant methane gas measurements and Vlad's attempts to cook the data. The teen girls are enraptured by Gary's recalling of his oil rig roughneck exploits, with Ed trying to sound equally impressive recalling his union administration heroics.

We arrive in Khanty-Mansiysk just in time for the opening ceremonies. Tears stream down the faces of us Canadians as we acknowledge how much Jean Hebert would have loved to see these ceremonies, pared down though they were: a Russian bear impersonator doing a stand up comedy routine and a contest to see who could chug the most vodka shots through a beer bong and still juggle the tournament's first thru seventh place trophies (which, since it was preordained there would be a 7 way tie, looked identical: a plastic White King sitting on a block of wood, purchased at the local Family Rouble General store).

The matches start and we notice that most spectators have left. When we ask the officials, we are told "Oh, they were here to see the vodka contest. Best turnout ever at any Olympiad!"

Our raft-camel-hike lag begins to set in, so much so that Ed and Gary are even too tired to knock over each other's King each time they get up to get some water.

TO BE CONTINUED....
      Only the rushing is heard...
      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Anyone who thinks I can or could pay my way to the olympics is seriously out of contact with reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
          Anyone who thinks I can or could pay my way to the olympics is seriously out of contact with reality.
          Thank you for clarifying this. I haven't been able to sleep for days.
          everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
            Actually, that would make you the champion of Newfoundland and Labrador. Danny Williams is always very careful to mention that designation.
            If you want to get technical, the province officially dropped the &, so now it's officially "Newfoundland Labrador"... but most leave the & in anyway.
            No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
              Leaving the camels behind, we now trek through vast forests, slowed down by Beckwith's constant methane gas measurements and Vlad's attempts to cook the data. The teen girls are enraptured by Gary's recalling of his oil rig roughneck exploits, with Ed trying to sound equally impressive recalling his union administration heroics.

To clarify, I never worked on oil rigs. The closest I ever came was a few decades ago when I waved to one as I drove by on the highway. I had shares in the company and I was waving "goodbye" to my money. It's not an exact science like climate change. :)

I worked on natural gas distribution, industrial and commercial. Metering, pressure stations and so forth. When I headed north to do calls in the summer I always brought my fishing rod and a lawn chair.

I have had interesting jobs over the years when I was younger. Glen Campbell sang about it and I did it, if you get what I mean.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

To clarify, I never worked on oil rigs. The closest I ever came was a few decades ago when I waved to one as I drove by on the highway. I had shares in the company and I was waving "goodbye" to my money. It's not an exact science like climate change. :)

I worked on natural gas distribution, industrial and commercial. Metering, pressure stations and so forth. When I headed north to do calls in the summer I always brought my fishing rod and a lawn chair.

I have had interesting jobs over the years when I was younger. Glen Campbell sang about it and I did it, if you get what I mean.
                But Gary, that's not the story you want to give in the movie, when you're surrounded by teen girls in bikinis who are looking up at you, eyes wide with admiration... !

Not unless you're trying to be Don Knotts instead of Mel Gibson!
                Only the rushing is heard...
                Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Looks like I am more of an oil person than Gary. Years ago when I lived in California I did some chin-ups once on the arm of a small rig. They have some small pumps there that were put in place years ago when there was nothing in the area, now there are whole residential areas, schools, playgrounds etc surrounding them; they are usually just fenced off.

Gary, what are some of the jobs that you did?

Comment

Gary, what are some of the jobs that you did?
                    OK. It goes back a lot of decades and some were summer jobs but here goes.

1. I was in Show Business. Usher in a theater one summer and into the winter.
                    2. Worked in a clothing factory one summer. It was a sweat shop for women.
                    3. Worked for Woolworth one summer. Cleaned the windows, swept the floor. (sure doesn't sound glamerous but that's what it was.)
                    4. Purchasing agent for a machinery company for about a year. I misunderstood a guy and instead of ending up with 4 steel rods, I ended up with a truckloadl. I thought it was funnier than the boss did.
                    5. Hydro lineman for about a year. You should have seen the poker games.
                    6. TV repair. One of my TV repair jobs lasted about 45 minutes. (Don't ask.)
                    7. Building circuit boards and doing quality control for tubes at GE.
                    8. I handled the staffing for a call center of over 200 people for about a year. Time off, overtime, shifts, vacations and so forth. That job I really liked.
                    There was other things like the Correspondence club, tournament directing, etc.

I won't tell you what my diploma was for because you probably wouldn't believe it.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I think that when Jean sees the quality of the unofficial pay-your-own-way team that he may wake up tomorrow and change his mind.

Unofficial pay-your-own-way grassroots team
                      1st board: Vlad Drkulec
                      2nd board: Paul Beckwith
                      3rd board: Gary Ruben
                      4th board: Ed Seedhouse
                      5th board: Bob Gillanders
                      6th board: Paul Bonham
                      First of all, it's a five-player team.

Second of all, my name isn't on the list

Put my name on the list, or I'll... I'll... I'll... think of something meaningful later...
                      No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Good news Gary the Canadian Olympiad teams are announced and you can now rest easy knowing you will have two teams to cheer for in Russia. Still plenty of time to make your donation to the teams.
                        Last edited by Duncan Smith; Friday, 7th May, 2010, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                          Good news Gary the Canadian Olympiad teams are announced and you can now rest easy knowing you will have two teams to cheer for in Russia. Still plenty of time to make your donation to the teams.
                          I won't donate anything to the CFC. Personal reasons.

Was your daughter invited or didn't she meet the qualifications of a bunch of bureaucrats and slaves to rules which boggle my imagination.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

1. I was in Show Business. Usher in a theater one summer and into the winter.
                            2. Worked in a clothing factory one summer. It was a sweat shop for women.
                            3. Worked for Woolworth one summer. Cleaned the windows, swept the floor. (sure doesn't sound glamerous but that's what it was.)
                            4. Purchasing agent for a machinery company for about a year. I misunderstood a guy and instead of ending up with 4 steel rods, I ended up with a truckloadl. I thought it was funnier than the boss did.
                            5. Hydro lineman for about a year. You should have seen the poker games.
                            6. TV repair. One of my TV repair jobs lasted about 45 minutes. (Don't ask.)
                            7. Building circuit boards and doing quality control for tubes at GE.
                            8. I handled the staffing for a call center of over 200 people for about a year. Time off, overtime, shifts, vacations and so forth. That job I really liked.
                            Seriously, what is "interesting" about any of these jobs? It appears to be a relatively normal set of work experience.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                              Wasn't the point of the list that the players would pay their own way, no fundraising necessary.
                              They seem to be using the model for the women's team. Maybe I'll tell the story on the International correspondence board and ask the players to send money.

I know it sounds funny but about 5 or so years ago the guys on the message board kicked in enough to pay for open heart surgery for one player plus enough money to help him get by during his recovery. I seem to recall it took about a week, maybe less.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                                Seriously, what is "interesting" about any of these jobs? It appears to be a relatively normal set of work experience.
                                It sure appears to be that. Like I've always said about life. It's here, it's now and it's what you make of it.

You'd be amazed how many people "put in" their years and never enjoy a minute of it.
                                Gary Ruben
                                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                                X