Chess Insight from the Great Paul Bonham...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chess Insight from the Great Paul Bonham...

Originally posted by Adam Cormier View Post
    I don't plan to follow in anyone's footsteps, but you obviously have a problem with the CFC, so do I. I'm just saying that you are the one following in the footsteps of others who also have come to the same conclusion about the CFC as you and I, but you are expecting a different result then your predecessors but still utilizing the same actions.
    Young man, I have been into chess since the late 60' and I have had to deal with the CFC for almost that long. Do you really think that I follow in anybody's footsteps in this matter ? That said, if you look closely at recent and not so recent posts, you will find that among a long list of CFC critics, I rank relatively low. I even defend the CFC occasionnally. ;)

Youth is a wonderful thing. What a crime to waste it on children.
    -George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
      What's with the 1963? What's with the "Hasn't done much good." ? What are you trying to say?
      What were you trying to say with your "Do a poll :)" ? Did you believe for a minute that your post's shortness would prevent me from sensing the venom behind it ?

Comment

There was most likely critics before you since the CFC was created in 1872 (unless it was only recently that the CFC began its downward spiral into disaster). It is true that you have been lenient (occasionally) about the CFC's current state of affairs, you are just the most notable critic out of as you said a long list of critics(Being Canadian Champion).
        Last edited by Adam Cormier; Sunday, 30th May, 2010, 01:16 AM.
        University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
          What were you trying to say with your "Do a poll :)" ? Did you believe for a minute that your post's shortness would prevent me from sensing the venom behind it ?
          I'm sure you see venom where others do not. My suggestion "do a poll" was in answer to Mr Cormier wondering what the general opinion was of your posts.
          Meanwhile, your response to my post of "What's with 1963?" etc. you ignored completely - so why post a quote if you are not going to respond to it?

And to respond to Mr Cormier, when I say that insanity is when you see something others do not, I did not mean it in the creative sense such as you're the only one to see a great move in chess and no one else does. Rather by see, I meant in the literal sense such as you see someone sitting in a chair who died some years ago, but everyone else only sees an empty chair.

Comment

I'm sure you see venom where others do not.
            Don't play hypocrit with me. You know the point is not about what others see or not. I can smell a snake right out of its shell. But keep your bad tooth if you like. I am no dentist.

Meanwhile, your response to my post of "What's with 1963?" etc. you ignored completely - so why post a quote if you are not going to respond to it?
            A quotation is not a question; it's food for thought. You probably need extra vitamins. About "polls" and 1963, if you haven't got what I meant by now, you are unlikely to agree anyways if you ever get it.

If you cannot convince them, confuse them.
            -Harry S Truman :)

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
              Don't play hypocrit with me. You know the point is not about what others see or not. I can smell a snake right out of its shell. But keep your bad tooth if you like. I am no dentist.

A quotation is not a question; it's food for thought. You probably need extra vitamins. About "polls" and 1963, if you haven't got what I meant by now, you are unlikely to agree anyways if you ever get it.

If you cannot convince them, confuse them.
              -Harry S Truman :)

So where are Steve Douglas, Paul Beckwith, Bob Gillanders when Jean insults people? He does it more directly than anyone else. Looks like Jean has diplomatic immunity, which he uses freely.
              Only the rushing is heard...
              Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                So where are Steve Douglas, Paul Beckwith, Bob Gillanders when Jean insults people? He does it more directly than anyone else. Looks like Jean has diplomatic immunity, which he uses freely.
                There seems to be some pre-existing bad blood between Vlad and Jean. What's the point in jumping into the middle of that?
                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                  There seems to be some pre-existing bad blood between Vlad and Jean. What's the point in jumping into the middle of that?
                  Whaaaat? I never met the man, and I don't look forward to such. The man is a venomous viper who jumps at any perceived sleight. His chess success has clearly gone to his head - or was he always like this?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                    Hey Paul, we are having some great weather here is southern Ontario this weekend. It was much better to enjoy the sunshine, rather than worrying about what Jean is saying. :D

I do not get some of the references in the Vlad/Jean "debate", and don't care. As to the Adam/Jean/Gary "debate", I am quietly cheering on Adam! There is no requirement to comment, and no comment does not imply agreement, enough said! :)

I thought you were gonna take a sabbatical from chesstalk? :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                      I do not get some of the references in the Vlad/Jean "debate", and don't care. As to the Adam/Jean/Gary "debate", I am quietly cheering on Adam! There is no requirement to comment, and no comment does not imply agreement, enough said! :)
                      I'm also cheering on Adam. He seems to be reading enough Fox News to decide he doesn't like it. Him I have never met or seen, that I know of.

As an organizer, do you have a thin skin? Smile. Be nice. Pair your critic with every under rated shark in the event. If he beats them then maybe he has a point.:)

In one big correspondence event I paired all the problem players in one section. I called it my survivor section. :)
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

^I generally watch Glenn Beck when I want a good laugh, it is like the daily show but he is actually serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Cormier View Post
                          ^I generally watch Glenn Beck when I want a good laugh, it is like the daily show but he is actually serious.
                          I googled Glenn Beck to see who he is. I watch Canadian news or CNN when something like the oil spill is being covered. My North American ends at the Canadian Border. The U.S. is someplace from which we either get or send bad weather.

If a person claims to be interested in science and limits himself to either the left wing view or the right wing view I think there is a problem. I would think people who spend hours trying to find the truth in a chess position would spend as much, if not more time, trying to find the truth in scientific topics they discuss.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                            If a person claims to be interested in science and limits himself to either the left wing view or the right wing view I think there is a problem.
                            Well, in that case Gary I hope you soon get the help you need with your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                              I googled Glenn Beck to see who he is. I watch Canadian news or CNN when something like the oil spill is being covered. My North American ends at the Canadian Border. The U.S. is someplace from which we either get or send bad weather.

If a person claims to be interested in science and limits himself to either the left wing view or the right wing view I think there is a problem. I would think people who spend hours trying to find the truth in a chess position would spend as much, if not more time, trying to find the truth in scientific topics they discuss.
                              When did I say I limit myself to only one side? Surely there are other news organization besides Fox on the left. I prefer unbiased opinions most of all, but it is becoming harder and harder to find these. I also watch CNN for most of my news Gary and I believe they are a professional and accurate news station.

Comment

My apologies, Vlad. I made an assumption (mistake #1).
                                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                                "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Working...
                                X