Candidate for CFC President

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CFC - Audited 2009-10 Financial Statement?

Hi Wilf:

Don't know what Eric did on that motion. I've sent your question to Maurice Smith, CFC Treasurer, for reply to you by e-mail. When you get an answer, maybe you might post it here so everyone knows.

Bob

Comment

Re: CFC - Audited 2009-10 Financial Statement?

Hi Bob(Armstrong)

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
      Hi Wilf:

Don't know what Eric did on that motion. I've sent your question to Maurice Smith, CFC Treasurer, for reply to you by e-mail. When you get an answer, maybe you might post it here so everyone knows.

Bob
      Thanks for your help Bob!

Here is the reply to your email from Maurice Smith,CFC Treasurer 09/10,:

June 16/10
      Wilf,

As far as I know there will be no audited statement. Considering we made a surplus of over $12,000 after years of big losses {most of those years we did have audited statements} it should not be a problem this year.

Maurice

Comment

Audited Financials

Hi Wilf,

I agree that we need audited financial statements. We need to demonstrate elements of good governance to our members, governors, affiliates, the public and any potential sponsors. This really is a no brainer. Yes, it costs money, but if you work with your auditors, keep the books in good shape, the bill should be about 3k. If we have any governors who would do it pro bono, well even better. :)

I will work towards getting quick budget approval and have auditors appointed ASAP. It maybe too late for the fiscal 2010 year however, it is preferable to engage auditors well before the yearend date.

ps. What we are really talking about is what is referred to as a review engagement. For our purposes, it really is just as good as an audit, but less expensive. :)

Comment

Re: Audited Financials

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
          If we have any governors who would do it pro bono, well even better.
          Why should it be a governor ? Why not anyone willing to help the CFC ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
            Why should it be a governor ? Why not anyone willing to help the CFC ?
            Yes, of course. I did not intend to restrict it to governors. Just a suggestion for any governor wishing to be more active.

Anyone qualified is welcome to volunteer. :D

Comment

Yes, of course. I did not intend to restrict it to governors. Just a suggestion for any governor wishing to be more active.

Anyone qualified is welcome to volunteer. :D
              B.G., what about you? :D I've read you are now an international master in audit (sic)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                B.G., what about you? :D I've read you are now an international master in audit (sic)
                Sorry, I am not licenced to do audits. We are talking about a CA, preferably with experience in "not for profit" organizations.

Besides, auditors need to be independent.
                You can't audit your own books. :)

Comment

Besides, auditors need to be independent.
                  You can't audit your own books. :)
                  Is that an audit for the foundation as well?
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: Audited Financials -Chess Foundation of Canada

Hi Gary:

The Foundation is not really " independent of the CFC ". It is in fact a creature of the CFC - it is like sub-organization. It's trustees are appointed by the CFC, and it is not a separate corporation. The CFC can disband it at any time, and retake the funds.

To its credit, the CFC has acted as if the Foundation was independent - it " asked " the Foundation for a loan, and " repaid " it. It allows the trustees decisions to stand without CFC initerference. But this is not true independence.

Some have suggested in the past that the Foundation should be incorporated and truly become independent.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                      Hi Gary:

The Foundation is not really " independent of the CFC ". It is in fact a creature of the CFC - it is like sub-organization. It's trustees are appointed by the CFC, and it is not a separate corporation. The CFC can disband it at any time, and retake the funds.

To its credit, the CFC has acted as if the Foundation was independent - it " asked " the Foundation for a loan, and " repaid " it. It allows the trustees decisions to stand without CFC initerference. But this is not true independence.

Some have suggested in the past that the Foundation should be incorporated and truly become independent.

Bob
                      Hi Bob,

That sounds like an investment arm of the CFC. However, the question was if the foundation would be part of the audit. Particularly in view of the points you made.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                        Hi Bob,

That sounds like an investment arm of the CFC. However, the question was if the foundation would be part of the audit. Particularly in view of the points you made.
                        Yes. Considering the relationship between the CFC and the Foundation, the auditor would include a review of the Foundation books. :) That would be very simple to do, and does not imply we need to change the relationship between the two.

Comment

Yes. Considering the relationship between the CFC and the Foundation, the auditor would include a review of the Foundation books. :) That would be very simple to do, and does not imply we need to change the relationship between the two.
                          I would imagine the books of the Foundation would be fairly simple. The recent 'loan' to the CFC would likely be the most unusual entry in an otherwise boring set of transactions... I don't know if the foundation publishes where they invest their money - perhaps Gary has some high-return ideas? Oh, I think we also need low-risk in addition to high-return...
                          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                            I don't know if the foundation publishes where they invest their money...
                            Take a look at the annual report, here http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...ght=foundation

Comment

Hi John:

I note however that this is not yet public. Your link is to the confidential Governors' Discussion Board posting. I assume it will, however, be in GL # 5, and then available to all members/public.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                                Take a look at the annual report, here http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...ght=foundation
                                I cannot access that page.
                                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
                                X