Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Crushing the Caro Kann

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
    I'm positive about the future too. You must know that no one can be absolutely sure modern scriptures are totally accurate. That's related to what I'm praying for.

I did hear an interesting argument against the theory of evolution the other day. It's that even with wars and plagues, there should be at least thousands of times more people on the earth by now. That's if the world and homo sapiens have been around as long as scientists think.

Science is the new religion.
    I think positive is the way to be. I long ago came to terms with the fact I won't last forever. So far science has been ahead of my problems.

Regarding the theory of evolution, a new debate is brewing on the horizon. If we are descended from apes OR if apes are descended from us.

Click Here....

As you can see discoveries are being made on an ongoing basis and being traced back a lot farther than 6,000 years.

I guess a lot depends on point of view regarding intelligence. When I want to see an ape I go to the zoo. When an ape wants to see a human he simply sits and waits.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      Who me? I'm not the guy who decided to pay him 100 Million dollars to play and then sat him in the stands to watch.

Anyhow, New Jersey already doesn't sound happy and the guy is probably untradeable. I guess we'll have to bet on how long the coach will last. Maybe 2 months?
      you WOULD second-guess a self-made billionaire's business decision

you are an idiot (you are) if you think johnny mac will be fired. you obviously know nothing about our uncle's appreciation of loyalty

let's bet on how long YOU last
      everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
        you are an idiot (you are) if you think johnny mac will be fired. you obviously know nothing about our uncle's appreciation of loyalty
        I'm not the one paying the 100 million contract while the coach sits the player in the stands so he can suck up the atmosphere.

New Jersey has won 2 games out of the 9 they have played. Both times Brodeur won them with a shutout.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
          edmonton oilers started last season 5-2-1 so what's your point tubs
          You're right Ben, what on earth was I thinking? With a 2-7-1 record (the worst in the NHL) it's obvious we should just end the season now and hand the Devils the Stanley Cup...
          No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

My rating is 2225.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin pacey View Post
              I think the name of new jersey's hockey team is going to be changed later. The devil's real enough. I once was tempted by an infernal vision of a white haired woman with pointed eyebrows, but i'd rather not get into it. The devil's not much worth talking about. Again, ben can call me insane. :)
              What are you talking about?!?!??!!?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
                My rating is 2225.
                Is that all? In these parts you are a legend. The drawing Grand Master of Canada. Someone who can turn a loss or win into a draw. :)
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                  Here are the four Internet games (played with computer & book assistance allowed) that I refered to in previous posts, in case anyone is curious:
                  interesting...i have the "King of Ottawa" games in my database at home but i don't recall the goring gambit game...neat to see old games...

Comment

Here's a much quicker crush (:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1763088

Comment

And while not a Caro-Kann, here's another game where a chess player, and future World Champion, fails to see the potential 'power' of the move Qe2 (:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1018015
                      Last edited by Jack Maguire; Friday, 12th September, 2014, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post

1. e4 c6 2. d4 d5 3. Nd2 dxe4 4. Nxe4 Nd7 5. Ng5 Ngf6 6. Bd3 h6 $2 7. Ne6 $1
                        Qa5+ 8. Bd2 Qb6 9. Nf3 fxe6 10. Bg6+ Kd8 11. O-O Qxb2 12. c4 Qb6 13. Re1 Qc7
                        14. Qc2 Ne8 15. Rad1 b6 16. Re2 Rb8 17. Qc1 {This should end Black's hopes.}
                        Qb7 {Probably black's toughest defence.} 18. Bf4 Nc7 19. Bxc7+ Qxc7 20. Ne5 Ba6
                        21. Qa3 Qb7 22. Be4 Nxe5 23. dxe5+ Kc7 24. Red2 Rc8 25. Rd7+ Kb8 26. Rxb7+ Bxb7
                        27. Rd7 h5 28. c5 g5 29. cxb6 axb6 30. Qb4 Rc7 31. Rd8+ Rc8 32. Qxb6 1-0
                        Wow! A blast from the not so distant past.

Little disagreement with your comments. While glancing at the game, I thought 17.Ne5 was worth a look. Fired up Houdini on it and actually, 17.Ne5 crushes black a lot quicker than what happened in the game. The variations are much trickier than it looks, though.

First, you're threatening mate in one and if 17....Nd6, 18.Bf4 is crushing. So black has to take.

17.Ne5 Nxe5 18.dxe5

and now what? Bd7 seems like a logical defensive move, but white can keep the pressure by threatening to double up on the d file so...

18...Bd7 19.Bf4

And then, I first thought that black is simply lost because after Red2, he can't move anything. But the computer suggests:

19...Nf6

Good defensive try, but white can still do some serious damage.

20.exf6 Qxf4 21.g3!

And, surprisingly, black can't do anything. If he takes on f6, white plays 22.Qa4, threatening to take on a7 or c6. And if black goes with 21...Qc7, the hard to see 22.f7!! just keep black all tied up behind his pawns. There's still some work left, but it seems black is in permanent trouble from there.

As others said, I can't understand why people would play that with black.

Comment

I played the 6-move mate with a slightly different order of moves:

[Event "Toronto op"]
                          [Site "Toronto CAN"]
                          [Date "1972.03.31"]
                          [Round "1"]
                          [White "Brodie, Hugh"]
                          [Black "Oparic, Ivan"]
                          [Result "1-0"]
                          [ECO "B11"]
                          [WhiteElo "1800"]
                          [BlackElo "1560"]
                          [PlyCount "11"]
                          [EventDate "1972.03.31"]
                          [EventType "swiss"]
                          [EventRounds "6"]
                          [EventCountry "CAN"]

1. e4 c6 2. d3 d5 3. Nd2 dxe4 4. Nxe4 Bf5 5. Qe2 Nd7 6. Nd6# 1-0

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
                            Wow! A blast from the not so distant past.

Little disagreement with your comments. While glancing at the game, I thought 17.Ne5 was worth a look. Fired up Houdini on it and actually, 17.Ne5 crushes black a lot quicker than what happened in the game. The variations are much trickier than it looks, though.
                            Either I didn't see Ne5 or the variations being trickier are the reasons I didn't play the quicker win.

Some people do OK with the Caro Kann.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                            X