Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re : Re: Show me the money

Mr. Hébert

Invitations to the Invitation section of the Quebec Open are established as follow and in that order:

First: The best players residing in the province (last year the threshold was 2250 of FQE rating and active), at this threshold we sent invitations to about 12 Quebecers, about the same number that used to be invited to play the Championnat Invitation du Québec in the past. These players play for free.

Second: Invited GM in a sufficient number to offer a decent norm opportunity for our players. These players obviously receive special conditions.

Third: FQE members from outside the province that are active in Quebec and that are believed to enhanced the competition. A good example of that is Mr Qin who received his invitation last year on that basis. These players play for free as they are members of the federation and deserve consideration as such.

Four: Foreign titled players (I.M. or WGM or GM) who may have requested to play. These players will be invited to play in the Invitation section if we feel that their presence enhances the value of the competition for our norm seeking local players.

Five: deserving FQE juniors. Last year we invited the medalists of the Quebec Junior Championship.

Last year, we also invited the members of the Olympic team and invited a few norm seeking CFC members (on a limited budget). These are the players that will be required to pay next year.

As you can see, your assertions that a resident of Quebec may be left out in the cold for the benefit of foreigners is totally false. The FQE knows that its primary "customers" are its Quebec members.

On top of that, should we remind you that the best Quebec resident in last year’s COQ Invitation section (Mr. Kovalyov) received 1500$ sponsored by SAP: obviously that sponsorship was seeked for by the elected volunteers ( we are not politicians) of your federation.

I therefore take exception to your comments that “living and playing chess in Quebec is nothing”, clearly your federation does not believe so.
    Last edited by Marc Poulin; Thursday, 28th October, 2010, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Show me the money

Originally posted by Marc Poulin View Post
      Invitations to the Invitation section of the Quebec Open are established as follow and in that order:

First: The best players residing in the province (last year the threshold was 2250 of FQE rating and active), at this threshold we sent invitations to about 12 Quebecers, about the same number that used to be invited to play the Championnat Invitation du Québec in the past. These players play for free.

Second: Invited GM in a sufficient number to offer a decent norm opportunity for our players. These players obviously receive special conditions.

Third: FQE members from outside the province that are active in Quebec and that are believed to enhanced the competition. A good example of that is Mr Qin who received his invitation last year on that basis. These players play for free as they are members of the federation and deserve consideration as such.

Four: Foreign titled players (I.M. or WGM or GM) who may have requested to play. These players will be invited to play in the Invitation section if we feel that their presence enhances the value of the competition for our norm seeking local players.

Five: deserving FQE juniors. Last year we invited the medalists of the Quebec Junior Championship.

Last year, we also invited the members of the Olympic team and invited a few norm seeking CFC members (on a limited budget). These are the players that will be required to pay next year.

As you can see, your assertions that a resident of Quebec may be left out in the cold for the benefit of foreigners is totally false. The FQE knows that its primary "customers" are its Quebec members.

On top of that, should we remind you that the best Quebec resident in last year’s COQ Invitation section (Mr. Kovalyov) received 1500$ sponsored by SAP: obviously that sponsorship was seeked for by the elected volunteers ( we are not politicians) of your federation.

I therefore take exception to your comments that “living and playing chess in Quebec is nothing”, clearly your federation does not believe so.
      Mr Poulin,

Your precisions were needed and most welcomed. Without them it may be difficult to understand the FQE poilicies.
      Obviously I am delighted to learn that living and playing chess in Quebec means something for the FQE. What is now needed are clear definitions of "active in Quebec" (how many games, etc.) and "residing in Quebec" or in Canada for that matter (for how long, under what status, etc).
      In France, for example, a foreigner gets the same rights as a native born french player only when he becomes french, which takes I believe at least five years of residency. On these matters the FQE is in need of a clear policy. Of course with the disappearance of the Quebec Invitational Championship which was the only Quebec tournament meant for residing Quebecers, the need to define residency and level of activity may be somewhat less acute but nonetheless, defining such concepts before real problems occur seems desirable, especially if they are being used consistently as guidelines to send invitations.

Finally let me reassure you: your efforts and those of the elected volunteers (chess politicians!) on behalf of the FQE certainly find much appreciation in the membership at large. Which does not exclude questions and comments on sensitive issues.

Comment

Working...
      X