Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The YCC Qualifier System for the 2011 CYCC

Hi Gary:

From Section 10 of the Handbook - Rules of Procedure for the Canadian Youth Championship Tournaments

1003. Players: {Motion 2009-13 2009 AGM Nadeau/Lavin}

The following players shall be eligible to participate in each Youth Tournament provided they comply with the formal entry requirements of Article 1007:

(a) The qualifiers from that year's YCC's.

(b) The qualifiers from the CYCC to the WYCC of the previous year.

(c) The highest rating of each age category {open & female} of each Province {as of May 1st prior to the CYCC}

(d) The proof of qualification will rest with the applicants to the CYCC.

(e) The host organizer may nominate three players for each category from the host location. {Amendment of Original Motion Barron/Langer}

Here is a post I have made on this issue of qualifiers on the confidential Governors' Discussion Board:

Incremental Implementation of the YCC Qualifier System Required

I think the CFC has to get its act together here.

We have failed this year so far, to do very much, if anything, to promote and develop the YCC's in the provinces. If we don't get them up and running, I don't think we can then penalize a CYCC organizer, who then says that he doesn't want entry to his tournament restricted by the qualification system, when there is no feeder system in place.

I think CFC needs to get the provinces to first hold YCC's on the basis of the winners getting subsidized to the CYCC to some degree, as their prize. Then once the system is developed, we implement the motion [ s. 1003 of Section 10 ] to make these now-existing YCC's into qualifiers, and at that point impose the restrictions on entry into the CYCC.

This seems a reasonable approach, given the reticence of the provinces other than Ontario, to spend time on this project, and given that we must be fair with the CYCC organizers.

I think the YCC Qualifier System is theoretically sound - I believe in the long run, it will get more juniors across Canada playing in the CFC YCC's and CYCC. But I guess its more of a developmental task than the movers of the motion anticipated.

I, as a CFC Governor, would be pleased to get more opinions on this qualifier system, that has been deferred for the 2010 CYCC. I note that the 2011 Richmond Hill CYCC bid asks for partial exemption from this Handbook section. The Toronto CYCC bid does not, from my quick reading, actually adress the issue.

Bob

Comment

Provincial Affiliate Authorization of YCC's ??

Hi John:

It had always been my understanding ( perhaps unfounded ) that the qualifier system was to be authorized by the provincial chess association. As far as I know, the OCA in Ontario, endorses the OYCC to give it legitimacy. I don't know however whether the organizers of the regional qualifiers to the OYCC have always sought and obtained OCA endorsement.

Can an OCA executive advise on this?

Bob

Comment

Re: Provincial Affiliate Authorization of YCC's ??

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
        Hi John: It had always been my understanding that the qualifier system was to be authorized by the provincial chess association.
        Well, that's a new one! The OYCC runs as a bursary tournament; however, with direct entry allowed to CYCC, players can bypass OYCC if they wish.

Provincial Associations vary from very strong to almost non-existent. The Nadeau-Lavin system is to have many local (?) tournaments, which feed into CYCC. The idea is to provide a grass-roots-up qualifying structure, to make entry into CYCC a target, and to build awareness. It is a great pity that neither Ellen Nadeau nor David Lavin are actively involved to stick-handle it thru. The handbook still says "qualifiers" but no one knows who is going to organise them, let alone what the rules are.

Everybody agrees that a national tournament should not be the first event for beginning players. The idea of the regional-provincial qualifiers is fine, but the CFC keeps shooting itself in the foot by then allowing the higher levels to have open-entry, rendering lower levels unnecessary. This weakening process has been taken to a new level in 2010, with players who did not qualify at CYCC allowed to join the Canadian team.

CYCC structure will become very difficult is there is a reduction in attendance by restricting entries (which is one purpose of qualifying tournaments). At 150 players (average), some sections have poor pairings in a 7-round event, and some sections have to be combined.

Comment

Working...
        X