Ontario Open 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ontario Open 2011

Paradoxically, both Mr. Hebert and Mr. Gillanders are right from thier perspective. Quite natural for a player with Mr. Hebert's accomplishments to have higher standards for participating in tournaments. On the other hand, organizers in Ontario do a hell of a job in running 24/2 or 24/3 tournaments with little, if any benefit.
    Could the lack of corporate sponsorship be the root cause of the problem? It seems to me that VPs and CEOs at large are more interested in golf than chess...other people more involved in finding sponsors may confirm if this is true...

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentiu Grigorescu View Post
      Could the lack of corporate sponsorship be the root cause of the problem? It seems to me that VPs and CEOs at large are more interested in golf than chess...other people more involved in finding sponsors may confirm if this is true...
      First of all based on their own admission we know that they are not even looking for sponsors ("pain in the ass" some say). Secondly most organizers who do look for sponsors find sponsors. One reason being that chess events are way cheaper to sponsor than golf or tennis. For someone with any money at all and a little sympathy for chess, it is embarrassing to say no to our measly need. :).But even without sponsors it is certainly possible to provide free entry to a GM or even an IM, assuming that each one of them brings at least one (just one!) extra entry. But with or without drawing extra entries, having for example a player of the quality of Bator Sambuev in a modest weekender is God's gift to Canadian chess and certainly worth waiving the entry free for and then some.

Comment

Jean - can I interest you in the Keres Memorial? :)

http://keresmemorial.pbworks.com/w/p...5469/FrontPage

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
          First of all based on their own admission we know that they are not even looking for sponsors ("pain in the ass" some say). Secondly most organizers who do look for sponsors find sponsors. One reason being that chess events are way cheaper to sponsor than golf or tennis. For someone with any money at all and a little sympathy for chess, it is embarrassing to say no to our measly need. :).But even without sponsors it is certainly possible to provide free entry to a GM or even an IM, assuming that each one of them brings at least one (just one!) extra entry. But with or without drawing extra entries, having for example a player of the quality of Bator Sambuev in a modest weekender is God's gift to Canadian chess and certainly worth waiving the entry free for and then some.
          You make an interesting point about the sponsors, Jean, and I'm glad you used the word "measly". You even used the word "need" instead of "want". :D

But truly, the embarrassing part as far is sponsors are concerned is chess itself. How can one have sympathy for chess when the elite of Canadian chess prove to be back-stabbing, delusional, ranting idiots such as Spraggett and Hebert? There is a responsibility on your part, Jean, to be a shining example of why sponsors should sponsor chess. Even if you don't like it, you need to do that, and that means not making posts here that are full of personal criticisms and invective. In fact, because chess is so impoverished, you and the rest of the Canadian chess elite are COMPELLED to go beyond just avoiding negativity, you are COMPELLED to be, as I already wrote, SHINING EXAMPLES. Nothing less will do.

We've been over this ground before, and you have made the point that in Quebec, sponsors are being found. I have given this some thought, and I think it must be that in Quebec, you are much more of a shining example than anywhere else in Canada, and sponsors such as Carl Bilodeau think positively of you. I venture to guess that within Quebec, you are much more inclined to behave as a positive force for chess, and outside Quebec, you have no taste for it and are glad to be negative. Personally, I have a good idea why this might be, but I won't go into that because there is no proving those kind of things.

Meanwhile, the other point is, even if significantly better freebies were offered in this type of tournament (weekend Open with possibly over-optimistic prize fund projection), we know from Jean's past posts that he wouldn't even think of attending. His appearances on this thread, and all his arguments, represent a red herring. He is just chomping at the bit to criticize the new CFC president, because he basically hates the CFC no matter who is in charge. This fits into the pattern: the CFC represents "outside Quebec".

Jean mentions Bator Samuev by name, perhaps that is a clue where we need to go. Perhaps the organizers should reach out to Bator and make some kind of offer, and see if he might be more positive than we know Jean would be. Better make it quick, because if Bator is living in Montreal as I believe he is, he could be coming under Jean's influence and we could end up having a double-pronged elitist attack on anglo-Canadian chess organization.

Well, if that happens, we just keep inflating Jason Cao's rating and make him the shining example for Canadian chess outside of Quebec.
          :D

BTW, just a final note: Larry Bevand, you are an amazing person. You tolerate so much on this board, and allow everyone their opinion without imposing any kind of heavy hand of prejudice. Truly remarkable! Even the climate change thread, with all it's ugly acne (ironically sprouted by it's oldest participants!), gets fair play. Wow, I'm impressed, no one that I can think of is even CLOSE to your level of enlightenment! Ok, maybe Sylvia Browne....
          Only the rushing is heard...
          Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Note that Jean Hébert is already registered for the Canadian Open - so the organizers there must be doing something right.

Straying a bit off-topic:

Re: the Keres tournament - can someone tell me why the online regustration fees have zero surcharge added, whereas the Grand Pacific tournament has a surcharge of a couple of dollars?

Comment

On the other hand, organizers in Ontario do a hell of a job in running 24/2 or 24/3 tournaments with little, if any benefit.
              I am curious, what do you mean "24/2 or 24/3 tournaments"? :)

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                I'm staying at a Friend's house and I'm sure if you were left high and Dry the CFC President could even let you stay at his place.
                What!
                I don't think so!

You are a very funny man Mr. Brown. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                  Jean - can I interest you in the Keres Memorial? :)
                  I see that you are definitely a man of substance and full of it (soup).

Comment

just different ways of doing the budget Hugh. In the case of the Keres, the costs of registration are built into the entry fee and the person handling the money (me) is more annoyed by the costs of dealing with mailed in cheques than is the person handling the money for the GPO (Brian). [hence a stronger desire to encourage online registration]
                    Last edited by Roger Patterson; Thursday, 6th January, 2011, 03:27 PM.

Comment

I meant organizers working around the clock during 2-day or 3-day tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                        What!
                        I don't think so!

You are a very funny man Mr. Brown. :)
                        Hi Bob;
                        I thought this was the Punch and Judy show?

Comment

I meant organizers working around the clock during 2-day or 3-day tournaments.
                          Even the tireless Mr Bob G had no idea what you meant. In this country an organizer 24 hour working day includes sleep and time searching for links on habitable planets and other vital endeavours. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                            If I read this correctly (and I am afraid there is no other way to read it) GMs and titled players will have to beg and commit six weeks in advance to get, not appearance fees, not free accommodation, not even free meals or free entry, but a measly undisclosed discount on entry fees! And for what ? For an unguaranteed prize fund which like most unguaranteed prize funds runs a high risk of being reduced, with the most consequences affecting those titled players who have committed six weeks in advance. This is a disgrace for Canadian chess, an insult to titled players, especially for the very few GMs that we have in this country, and an excellent example of poor leadership from the CFC president.
                            Jean if you commit now to playing in Hamilton on Victoria Day Weekend not only will we give you an incredible discount on the entry fee into the tournament but we will throw in a very special soup on Saturday afternoon of the event so that you will be in a robust fighting spirit for the afternoon round.

Plus you will get to see the beautiful city of Hamilton. The industrial heartbeat of Central Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Garvin Nunes View Post
                              in a very special soup
                              Garvin - would the ingredients include "eye of newt" ;)

Comment

pop-up http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...0&postcount=19

Comment

Working...
                                X