• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ontario Open 2011

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    How will the prize fund be distributed?

Any accommodations for non-masters?
    Egis - I would prefer you just repeat your question if you feel it is necessary. Providing the link to your previous question, I guess pointing out that you haven't gotten a reply yet? well....it is kinda rude.

The prize fund distribution has been discussed, but no decision yet.

We will provide info on local accomodations for out of towners in plenty of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
      Egis - I would prefer you just repeat your question if you feel it is necessary. Providing the link to your previous question, I guess pointing out that you haven't gotten a reply yet? well....it is kinda rude.

The prize fund distribution has been discussed, but no decision yet.

We will provide info on local accomodations for out of towners in plenty of time.
      I think it was rude to ignore those questions ;)

Comment

Bumping to top of the list. :)

Comment

Bumping to the top of page again. :)

A reminder. Discounts are available for titled players if they confirm participation by email by March 5th deadline. Otherwise, titled players will be expected to pay the full entry fee. Please do so ASAP. We would like to start a pre-registered list.

Please email Gordon Gooding at miltonchess@hotmail.com

Thanks.

Comment

Bumping to the top of page again. :)

A reminder. Discounts are available for titled players if they confirm participation by email by March 5th deadline. Otherwise, titled players will be expected to pay the full entry fee. Please do so ASAP. We would like to start a pre-registered list.

Please email Gordon Gooding at miltonchess@hotmail.com

Thanks.
            Whaaa, titled players paying full entry fee???? I nearly spilled my soup while reading that...

Comment

Don't spill your soup Jerry, but yes titled players paying full price, maybe!

We really do want to give them free or discounted entry fee, but we are asking for their cooperation in promoting the event. The theory goes that if you have a pre registered list with some marque players, that will attract more players to your event. It does no good to have elite players enter "at the door" as this does nothing to attract more players. We are projecting 125 players. That will be a tough target to meet, but entirely doable.

We do realize this deadline is 11 weeks in advance. But is it too much to ask the elite players to plan their schedules early, the organizers do.

With some early planning and cooperation amongst players and organizers, we can grow these events. :)

Comment

Remember that guy at the Hamilton Chess Club way back when that apparently ate soup noisly while he played? Wolf something.

I'll be playing in this one; sending my money in soon. A great chance to play at my doorstep and I like the location. I have fond memories of our Scott Park chess team going to play Churchill and walking out 20 mins later 5-0. The location is nice, there is a green space right there and lots in the area for refreshments. I'll have to brush up my game though. I don't think I can play in the Hamilton Winter Open as I have too much studying to do for exams then, but maybe I can.

Comment

We really do want to give them free or discounted entry fee, but we are asking for their cooperation in promoting the event. The theory goes that if you have a pre registered list with some marque players, that will attract more players to your event. It does no good to have elite players enter "at the door" as this does nothing to attract more players.
                  You do well to talk about "theory" because it is at best a double-edged theory. Most people with chess experience know that seeing a name on a pre-registered list is no garantee that this player will actually show up, especially if that player was eligible for a free entry by doing so. And if that player do not show up, people grow distrustful of those organizers with their pre-registered lists...
                  On the other hand, strong players showing up at the last moment is also good for a tournament, especially for the next years editions or this organizer's next events (yes, good organizers plan that far ahead...), as it tells people that this is the kind of event or the kind or organizer that do attract strong players, regardless of when they put their name on a list.
                  The main cooperation to expect from strong players is for them to show up in time for the first round. Having them on a pre-registered list with a real commitment to play is a bonus that is worth more than free entry (some extra "soup" maybe :)).

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                    You do well to talk about "theory" because it is at best a double-edged theory. Most people with chess experience know that seeing a name on a pre-registered list is no garantee that this player will actually show up, especially if that player was eligible for a free entry by doing so. And if that player do not show up, people grow distrustful of those organizers with their pre-registered lists...
                    On the other hand, strong players showing up at the last moment is also good for a tournament, especially for the next years editions or this organizer's next events (yes, good organizers plan that far ahead...), as it tells people that this is the kind of event or the kind or organizer that do attract strong players, regardless of when they put their name on a list.
                    The main cooperation to expect from strong players is for them to show up in time for the first round. Having them on a pre-registered list with a real commitment to play is a bonus that is worth more than free entry (some extra "soup" maybe :)).
                    There is absolutely no guarantee that if you attract a strong player this year at the last minute that you will be able to do so next year. Preregistered lists are much anticipated when they are posted so they do mean something. More likely people will get to see so and so's name all the time and then start to realize that player has a showing up problem, if they don't play in tournaments they have committed to play in; rather than blame the organizers. Most of us know you can't guarantee that a strong player will play, it's up to them.
                    Knowing in advance the calibre of players one will meet is an enticement to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                      The main cooperation to expect from strong players is for them to show up in time for the first round.
                      That's it? :(
                      I think we should expect a lot more!

Comment

A titled player might actually consider the low competition a tournament a negative value for a weekend. They consume precious lawn mowing time. This tournament might be too easy. He'll be playing boring easy games, except for maybe one. It won't help him develop as a stronger player. There's lots of tournaments out there. Why would he want to come to yours?

Now for the organizer. Why do you want a titled player at your tournament? For advanced promotion benefit? So you (and friends) can watch a strong player at work? So people will rave about your awesome tournament? To get some good quality analysis? Figure what it's worth, and offer benefits worth that much to the titled player:

Free admission - It costs an organizer 0 if the titled player otherwise wouldn't show.
                        Lunch/dinner - Buy it.
                        Guaranteed prize fund - Your special guest has a 50% chance of taking top prize. This guarantee doesn't come 100% of your pocket. It might mean if promotions fail you have to pay out $50. Or if promotions succeed you pocket $50.
                        Accommodations - if you can swing a deal, offer the deal. No cost except your time.

All the above costs less than $100, and represents a $200 value to the player. $100/day maybe worth spending his time. So organizer, figure what master-class services are worth that $100 and make your offer.

Bottom line: Organizer makes an offer. Player accepts or rejects. Life goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
                          The organizers have made the offer. The offer is send us an email be March 5th to discuss it. If they are unwilling to take that simple step, well....:( Do we really want players who feel their only obligation is to just show up for round 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                            Note that Jean Hébert is already registered for the Canadian Open - so the organizers there must be doing something right.
                            hahahahaha
                            i rep back 3+

Comment

That's it? :(
                              I think we should expect a lot more!
                              That is most probably because unfortunately you see no value in having strong players to your events, other than using their names to possibly attract people. Like most people you see no value in quality, you see value only in quantity. I have a vision of your walls being covered with paintings by number...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
                                A titled player might actually consider the low competition a tournament a negative value for a weekend. They consume precious lawn mowing time. This tournament might be too easy. He'll be playing boring easy games, except for maybe one. It won't help him develop as a stronger player. There's lots of tournaments out there. Why would he want to come to yours?

Now for the organizer. Why do you want a titled player at your tournament? For advanced promotion benefit? So you (and friends) can watch a strong player at work? So people will rave about your awesome tournament? To get some good quality analysis? Figure what it's worth, and offer benefits worth that much to the titled player:

Free admission - It costs an organizer 0 if the titled player otherwise wouldn't show.
                                Lunch/dinner - Buy it.
                                Guaranteed prize fund - Your special guest has a 50% chance of taking top prize. This guarantee doesn't come 100% of your pocket. It might mean if promotions fail you have to pay out $50. Or if promotions succeed you pocket $50.
                                Accommodations - if you can swing a deal, offer the deal. No cost except your time.

All the above costs less than $100, and represents a $200 value to the player. $100/day maybe worth spending his time. So organizer, figure what master-class services are worth that $100 and make your offer.

You got the picture right Mr Baljeu. But Bob and company want Top players to beg on an individual basis for a crumb of bread, thus reinforcing their sense of worth.
                                Last edited by Jean Hébert; Friday, 25th February, 2011, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X