Ivanchuk-Morozevich Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ivanchuk-Morozevich

No Charbonneau games - although in the 2010 Quebec Open, he tried to win with K+NN vs K+P against Sylvain Barbeau.

Oops! Great memory, just a little short!! That was the game I was thinking of. A master converted to an EG in which there was a theoretical win, but the GM couldn't do it.

Oh, well, we did get another actual chess discussion going here for awhile!

Comment

Re: Ivanchuk-Morozevich Today

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
      Today at Reggio Emilia, Morozevich "pulled a LeSiege (Was it he who did this vs. Charbonneau?)," but Ivanchuk knew his stuff!

http://livechess.chessdom.com/site/
      Moro plays like Moro :D

[Site "Zagan (Poland)"]
      [Date "1997"]
      [White "Shaked Tal (USA)"]
      [Black "Morozevich Alexander (RUS)"]
      [Result "1-0"]
      1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nc3 e5 4.e3 e4 5.Qb3 Nf6 6.Bd2 Be7 7.Nh3 b6 8.cxd5 cxd5 9.Nf4 Bb7 10.Bb5+ Kf8 11.Be2 g6 12.f3 Nc6 13.fxe4 Na5 14.Qd1 dxe4 15.O-O Kg7 16.Rc1 Rc8 17.Nb5 a6 18.Na3 Rxc1 19.Qxc1 b5 20.Qe1 Nc6 21.Bd1 Qd6 22.Bb3 Nb4 23.Nb1 Nbd5 24.Nc3 Nb6 25.a3 Rc8 26.Qe2 Nc4 27.Be1 Qd7 28.h3 Ne8 29.a4 Ned6 30.axb5 axb5 31.Ncd5 Bd8 32.g4 Kg8 33.Nc3 Bc6 34.Na2 Na5 35.Bc2 b4 36.Nxb4 Bb5 37.Qf2 Bxf1 38.Qxf1 Nac4 39.Nfd5 f5 40.gxf5 Qxf5 41.Qxf5 gxf5 42.Bc3 Bh4 43.Ba4 Kh8 44.Nc2 h6 45.Kf1 Rb8 46.b3 Nb6 47.Nxb6 Rxb6 48.d5+ Kh7 49.Bd4 Rb7 50.Bc5 Bg3 51.Nd4 Rf7 52.Ke2 f4 53.exf4 Bxf4 54.b4 Bg3 55.Ne6 Rf5 56.Bc6 Nc4 57.d6 Nxd6 58.Bxd6 Bxd6 59.Bxe4 Bxb4 60.Bxf5+ Kh8 61.Kf3 h5 62.Kg3 Be1+ 63.Kf4 h4 64.Kg5 Kg8 65.Kg6 Bf2 66.Be4 Be1 67.Bc6 Bf2 68.Be8 Be1 69.Bf7+ Kh8 70.Nd4 Bf2 71.Nf5 Be1 72.Bc4 Bf2 73.Kf7 Be1 74.Bd3 Bf2 75.Ne7 Bc5 76.Ng6+ Kh7 77.Nxh4+ Kh8 78.Kg6 Kg8 79.Nf5 Bf2 80.h4 Bxh4 81.Nxh4 Kf8 82.Kf6 Kg8 83.Nf3 Kf8 84.Ne5 Kg8 85.Nf7 Kf8 86.Bh7 Ke8 87.Ne5 Kd8 88.Ke6 Kc7 89.Nd7 Kc6 90.Bd3 Kc7 91.Be4 Kd8 92.Kd6 Ke8 93.Bd5 Kd8 94.Bf7 Kc8 95.Nc5 1-0

Comment

Re: Barbeau-Charbonneau K+P vs K+NN:

I witnessed the end of this game. Pascal was down to his last 30 seconds almost every move, and such an ending needs more time than that to win (if a win is there).

Comment

Originally posted by Keith MacKinnon View Post
          Playing on in that position just shows a lack of class. Terrible
          I completely disagree. The endgame is technically won of course but practical chances even though very low (against Ivanchuk) still remained so I don't see anything wrong with what Moro did. In either case, I don't think that there is ever any kind of disrespect by not resigning.

Comment

Re: Opinion Regarding Playing On in a K+B+N vs. K EndGame

Originally posted by Keith MacKinnon View Post
            To me, this just shows a clear lack of respect for his opponent. Where has sportsmanship gone?
            At the same time some people are advocating playing every position until the bitter end for the benefit of spectators. It was the case I believe in a match between Karpov and an Iranian GM. The players could not draw by agreement and could not resign! Can't please everyone...

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
              The only Canadian content I can add is a draw between John Hallam (with the KBN) and Sergei Sokourinski in the 1999 BC Championship, and a draw between Manon Leger (with the KBN) and Gabriela Koskova in the 1994 Women's Olympiad.
              I had KBN vs Roman Sapozhnikov in the last round of the 2007 Canadian Amateur and couldn't win within 50 moves. He's over 2400 now but I'm still an amateur...

I had KRBPP vs KR against Nikolay Noritsyn many years ago but short on time I hung my rook to KxR but still had winning chances as my 2 P's were connected and on the 5th and 6th rank but I hung those in the time scramble as well so it was down to KB vs KR and I was even in the right corner to draw with correct play but I flagged and lost...

Comment

The B+N mate is one that I teach my top students. I have seen 2 of them execute the mates against higher rated opposition. Quite rewarding.

I believe it was Inarkiev at the 2007 World Cup who stole 1.5/2 in one of his matches. First his opponent flagged in a winning position and then his opponent flagged trying to deliver the BN mate.

I don't understand why players omit this lesson. It's not any more difficult than the Philidor and Lucena positions. It does happen infrequently though. Maybe that's the rub.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                  The B+N mate is one that I teach my top students.
                  I have spent considerable time learning it to the point where I could do it easily from any position in just a few minutes.

Then, some years leader, having forgotten it completely, I did that again. And again some years later still.

As of now I cannnot do it and my current method, should it ever arise, would be to offer a draw assuming I was the one with the two pieces. Rest would be more important than the extra half point.

The Bare King rule should be brought back, in my opinion, and be scored at three quarters of a point. It would save much time and frustration and make the rating system more accurate. Not that I expect to convince anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
                    The Bare King rule should be brought back, in my opinion, and be scored at three quarters of a point. It would save much time and frustration and make the rating system more accurate. Not that I expect to convince anyone.
                    that's an idiotic remark even by your standards
                    everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

I had trouble with this ending until I read Muller and Lamprecht. Now I would regard it as an elementary technical win. Despite that, I would not criticize Moro for playing on until I knew a lot more about the precise circumstances---time remaing for both players, positions in the tournament, etc. As Vlad says, it is your right to play to the end even if some kids, coached by some who should know better, overdo this principle from time to time.
                      On the other hand, not too long ago I played an obnoxious youngster (I have to say that this was the only occasion on which a youngster was obnoxious in a game with me, winning or losing) who kept proclaiming that the position was drawn, over and over again, until he realized that while he was whining I had destroyed his position (with a knight sac to break free the queenside pawns).
                      In another game, against a master (and master trainer), I finally arrived at a classic Lucena position and was a bit surprised that he played on. On the one hand, I was on the point of leaning across the board, in a terrible breach of etiquette, and asking him if he had ever heard of Lucena; on the other, it was the first, and remains the only, occasion whien I actually had to play such a position out across the board. It was perfectly legitimate for him to say, in effect, Show me! And it was great experience for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
                        I had trouble with this ending until I read Muller and Lamprecht. Now I would regard it as an elementary technical win. Despite that, I would not criticize Moro for playing on until I knew a lot more about the precise circumstances---time remaing for both players, positions in the tournament, etc. As Vlad says, it is your right to play to the end even if some kids, coached by some who should know better, overdo this principle from time to time.
                        On the other hand, not too long ago I played an obnoxious youngster (I have to say that this was the only occasion on which a youngster was obnoxious in a game with me, winning or losing) who kept proclaiming that the position was drawn, over and over again, until he realized that while he was whining I had destroyed his position (with a knight sac to break free the queenside pawns).
                        In another game, against a master (and master trainer), I finally arrived at a classic Lucena position and was a bit surprised that he played on. On the one hand, I was on the point of leaning across the board, in a terrible breach of etiquette, and asking him if he had ever heard of Lucena; on the other, it was the first, and remains the only, occasion whien I actually had to play such a position out across the board. It was perfectly legitimate for him to say, in effect, Show me! And it was great experience for me.
                        Hi Gordon, I am also aware of a youngster who, more than once, when losing, or even just potentially losing, repeatedly proclaims it is a draw, and then usually proceeds to lose (which is besides the point). As TD, I have tried many times to teach him the etiquette, but it has not taken yet. Maybe he reads this, and it sinks in a bit better.

Comment

i feel that only hebert has touched on the crux of the matter: finishes like this are hella opportune moments to market chess to relative beginners. for (most) professional players, the win is simple, but for beginners, it's intricate and fascinating. it's exactly the sort of sequence apt to be shown in a "highlight reel" of sorts
                          everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                            Hi Gordon, I am also aware of a youngster who, more than once, when losing, or even just potentially losing, repeatedly proclaims it is a draw, and then usually proceeds to lose (which is besides the point). As TD, I have tried many times to teach him the etiquette, but it has not taken yet. Maybe he reads this, and it sinks in a bit better.
                            Why take such a delicate approach? Next time, give him one warning, and if he does it again, then forfeit him. If he still does it in a future game, forfeit him again, and toss him from the event. Repeat as needed. Probably he figures that since there is no punishment for his repeated breach of etiquette that he may as well try it and hope for the best.

When I was directing junior events for CMA a few years ago there was one kid who routinely violated the touch-move rule. He would play a blunder, then try to take the move back and deny that he ever made the move. After a couple of complaints from different opponents, I just ruled against the kid every time, regardless of whether there were any other witnesses to the infraction or not. He realized that he couldn't get away with it anymore, so he stopped doing it. Consider it the "Chinese TD Approach". ;-)
                            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
                              that's an idiotic remark even by your standards
                              Thanks for confirming that my ideas are on the right track.

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
                                I feel that only Hébert has touched on the crux of the matter.
                                A quote to remember. :)

Comment

Working...
                                X