Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ivanchuk-Morozevich Today

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
    Why take such a delicate approach? Next time, give him one warning, and if he does it again, then forfeit him. If he still does it in a future game, forfeit him again, and toss him from the event. Repeat as needed. Probably he figures that since there is no punishment for his repeated breach of etiquette that he may as well try it and hope for the best.

When I was directing junior events for CMA a few years ago there was one kid who routinely violated the touch-move rule. He would play a blunder, then try to take the move back and deny that he ever made the move. After a couple of complaints from different opponents, I just ruled against the kid every time, regardless of whether there were any other witnesses to the infraction or not. He realized that he couldn't get away with it anymore, so he stopped doing it. Consider it the "Chinese TD Approach". ;-)
    Oh Tom, trust me, if I caught him, I wouldn't be delicate! The problem is that I only hear about it after the game, from his opponent, or spectators. He seems very aware of me!

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
      Thanks for confirming that my ideas are on the right track.
      what about the fact that nobody even remotely involved in chess shares your view

you need a stern reprimand
      everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
        Why take such a delicate approach? Next time, give him one warning, and if he does it again, then forfeit him. If he still does it in a future game, forfeit him again, and toss him from the event. Repeat as needed. Probably he figures that since there is no punishment for his repeated breach of etiquette that he may as well try it and hope for the best.

When I was directing junior events for CMA a few years ago there was one kid who routinely violated the touch-move rule. He would play a blunder, then try to take the move back and deny that he ever made the move. After a couple of complaints from different opponents, I just ruled against the kid every time, regardless of whether there were any other witnesses to the infraction or not. He realized that he couldn't get away with it anymore, so he stopped doing it. Consider it the "Chinese TD Approach". ;-)
        I have done the same thing with a repeat offender of touch-move. The first time it happened I had to give the player the benefit of the doubt, the second time it happened I questioned him, said that this has happened before and that this will be his last warning. The third time I simply ruled in favour of his opponent without questioning the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
          I have done the same thing with a repeat offender of touch-move. The first time it happened I had to give the player the benefit of the doubt, the second time it happened I questioned him, said that this has happened before and that this will be his last warning. The third time I simply ruled in favour of his opponent without questioning the matter.
          three separate games, though, i assume?
          everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Go to chessbase.com to see the " w" manuvere in how to mate with B & N vs K.Sillman in his recent Endgame book does not show this ending-totally impractacial he says and rarely,if ever,will come up in a game.

Comment

Originally posted by John Henry View Post
              Go to chessbase.com to see the " w" manuvere in how to mate with B & N vs K.Sillman in his recent Endgame book does not show this ending-totally impractacial he says and rarely,if ever,will come up in a game.
              Sillman is likely quite correct about the chances of encountering this ending, but it certainly would be embarrassing to be unable to win this ending OTB...
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
              X