Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mississauga cracks 100.

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    Well, I guess what bothers me is that you are quick to praise CMA for our success, but neglect to give any credit to the volunteers at MCC. For sure some of our kids were introduced to chess via CMA, but do you not agree that the lions share of credit for the MCC junior program should go to the volunteers at the MCC?

Each week, the three amigos (Paul, Vince, and yours truly) carpool in from Burlington. The first task is to get the room ready to handle 90+ kids. Unfortunately, we inherit a room with round tables. So we need to push them aside and setup the room with proper tables and chairs. Then we brace ourselves for the flood of kids and parents. It gets quite crazy as I pair them up for their games, Paul deals with the parents, Vince helps out with stray kids and prepares for the adults at 8pm. I would also like to acknowledge volunteers John, Lynda, and Robert who help out with their assigned tasks. Then at 11pm we have to put all the furniture back the way we found it.

The success of the Mississauga Junior chess program is due primarily to the hard work and dedication of the volunteers at MCC.

Mikhail, junior chess does not begin and end with CMA. There are many other junior chess programs across the country due to the blood sweat and tears of local organizers. They all deserve our thanks and praise. We work together and we grow together.

Again, congratulations to CMA for more than 25 years of success.

Mikhail, do you have anything positive to add?
    Hi Bob,

I am very saddened that hear, that congratulating someone has successfully did for 25 years bother you.

Yes, I agree that there are many organizations, but Larry build something really special in last 25 years!

One should not ask or demand for thanks or congratulations for something that he did. It would not be right. If individual did something really special, people will notice it, and will congratulate him/her for it in due time. Patience is the key.:)

There is a saying: 'If you build it, it will come'. ;)
    Last edited by Mikhail Egorov; Wednesday, 12th October, 2011, 06:20 PM.

Comment

I've been to the Mississauga Club as a visitor and a member.
      and I don't believe that CMA is the only driving factor that Kids come to Mississauga.
      I have sent about 30 kid inquires to Mississauga. They never heard about CMA before they got my name from the CFC website. Not sure if Bob and company got them to join as I have not been back for awhile.

One suggestion Bob if you are now getting so many juniors I'd suggest that you start Group Round Robins that way the juniors know who they play each week ahead of time and it will save you mountains of pairing problems.
      The new juniors that join can join the next Round Robin Group.
      If you insist on swiss pairings then I'd suggest the new joiners play against the odd man out for the first night and then pair them in the system next week.
      I miss the club but playing times are not convenient for bus travel even with the new Zum from Square One.
      Maybe if I could arrange a ride from UTM to Square One. I might be able to get home before dawn.;-) and I'd join again in a minute. You are a great bunch of players and your Club needs support.
      I'm glad to see there are other clubs that support chess and do not have to be in Scarborough which by the way I have joined before as well. Now that your numbers are up why not challenge Scarborough to a team match???

Comment

Originally posted by Francis Rodriguez View Post
        Bob & Bob:-)

New entrant - and both MCC and SCC are invited!

The Brampton Chess Club opens next Friday Oct 14......
        and we already have 80 signups!! Just 20 to go now:-)

BRAMPTON CHESS CLUB: Lester B. Pearson Catholic School: (FRIDAYS)
        http://www.chess-math.org/pdf/brampton_chess_club.pdf

Join the grand opening party 5:30 pm October 14th - food, drink,
        blitz, the Mayor's office folks, the media....all gonna be there!

Bob G - great work at MCC!
        Here's where you're getting your numbers from (we teach 60 of 'em:-)

MISSISSAUGA "1": Meadowvale Public Library: (MONDAYS)
        http://www.chess-math.org/pdf/missis...ons_group1.pdf

MISSISSAUGA "2": Meadowvale Community Centre: (MONDAYS)
        http://www.chess-math.org/pdf/missis...ons_group2.pdf

Let the games begin:-)

Francis
        Did the Brampton Chess Club move from Heart Lake?

Comment

No if you see my earlier post I told Francis this may be a problem calling the CMA club the Brampton Club

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
            No if you see my earlier post I told Francis this may be a problem calling the CMA club the Brampton Club
            Those two mentioned ones are completely different chess clubs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhail Egorov View Post
              Hi Bob,

I am very saddened that hear, that congratulating someone has successfully did for 25 years bother you.

Yes, I agree that there are many organizations, but Larry build something really special in last 25 years!

One should not ask or demand for thanks or congratulations for something that he did. It would not be right. If individual did something really special, people will notice it, and will congratulate him/her for it in due time. Patience is the key.:)

There is a saying: 'If you build it, it will come'. ;)
              "if you build it, they will come" is exactly my point. It is the executive and volunteers of the Mississauga club who have successfully built our junior club, not Larry. I am the first one to acknowledge and congratulate Larry and CMA for their achievements.

I am sure Larry is willing to acknowledge that our success is due in large part to the efforts of the Mississauga club executive and volunteers, just as we are happy to acknowledge their contribution. It still puzzles me why you refuse to acknowledge the contribution of MCC volunteers.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                I've been to the Mississauga Club as a visitor and a member.
                and I don't believe that CMA is the only driving factor that Kids come to Mississauga.
                I have sent about 30 kid inquires to Mississauga. They never heard about CMA before they got my name from the CFC website. Not sure if Bob and company got them to join as I have not been back for awhile.
                Thank you John. Referrals from many organizers like yourself, word of mouth, our website, there are many roads to MCC. We have never kept track of where everyone came from, does it matter? We are grateful to all. If we work together, we will grow together.

Comment

"if you build it, they will come" is exactly my point. It is the executive and volunteers of the Mississauga club who have successfully built our junior club, not Larry. I am the first one to acknowledge and congratulate Larry and CMA for their achievements.

I am sure Larry is willing to acknowledge that our success is due in large part to the efforts of the Mississauga club executive and volunteers, just as we are happy to acknowledge their contribution. It still puzzles me why you refuse to acknowledge the contribution of MCC volunteers.

Like I said before, one should not demand for congratulations for his/her accomplishments. If you really deserve it, people will congratulate you for your success. I am sure someone will come forward and let you know. :)

Until then let all be happy. Lets have a group hug :D

Comment

Like I said before, one should not demand for congratulations for his/her accomplishments. If you really deserve it, people will congratulate you for your success. I am sure someone will come forward and let you know. :)

Until then let all be happy. Lets have a group hug :D
                    Hold on a minute.... Jean Hebert is grabbing the first flight to Mississauga. He wants to be part of the group hug. :D:D:D
                    Only the rushing is heard...
                    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Not to hijack this spirited debate, but as a point of information, the Scarborough CC has 56 % adults, and 44 % juniors, all playing in the same swiss, in 2 sections. In the U 1800 section, the juniors compose 54 %. All juniors play with a clock and know how to record their games ( which is Game/90 ). It is true however, that some of them are not rank beginners, but are just starting to progress ( we have one 800's rating and a number in the 900's ). I believe the youngest is 7 years old.

We have a total of 97 registered in our current Howard Ridout Memorial Swiss.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                        Hold on a minute.... Jean Hebert is grabbing the first flight to Mississauga. He wants to be part of the group hug. :D:D:D
                        I am quite sure, that Bob would be happy to see him! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                          Not to hijack this spirited debate, but as a point of information, the Scarborough CC has 56 % adults, and 44 % juniors, all playing in the same swiss, in 2 sections. In the U 1800 section, the juniors compose 54 %. All juniors play with a clock and know how to record their games ( which is Game/90 ). It is true however, that some of them are not rank beginners, but are just starting to progress ( we have one 800's rating and a number in the 900's ). I believe the youngest is 7 years old.

We have a total of 97 registered in our current Howard Ridout Memorial Swiss.

Bob A
                          wow, that's great Bob A.
                          I am going to work on some stats for MCC, but I would guess we probably have at least 2 dozen 7 year olds or younger.
                          No doubt you would kick out butts over the board in a club vs. club match, but we win in the running the halls and general mayhem categories. :D

Comment

I am quite sure, that Bob would be happy to see him! :D
                            No soup for you. :(

Comment

Mikhail, do you have anything positive to add?
                              I guess not. So sad it is.
                              Lost to the dark side he is.
                              Only negativity, no joy.

Comment

Is this soup specifically brewed by you in CFC office? I will pass and let Jean to try it first! :D

Comment

Working...
                                X