Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official CFC Candidates for President

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
    You want to retain members? I highly recommend doing what the USCF does with its rating page. They have a norm system for players. You achieve I think 5 norms and you earn the class title. It gives people something to shoot for. I have a bunch of US students whom I teach online. Some of them are adults. Pretty much every one of them - including the adults - are psyched to make norms and get the class titles.
    I've been waiting to read a reply to your very sensible suggestion of instituting national class titles for CFC members. That as a way of retaining members and building more interest in playing in the events. Sadly, no notice seems to have been taken.

If it's working in the U.S., why wouldn't it work here?
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

My platform; if I were to run...

An essay on chess
      'Brilliant', 'Quite Good', 'What?', these are just some of the comments made recently in the press regarding chess. At one stage or another, every man woman or child will be faced with the issue of chess. Cited by many as the single most important influence on post modern micro eco compartmentalism, it is important to remember that ‘what goes up must come down.’ Often it is seen as both a help and a hinderence to the over 50, who form the last great hope for our civilzation. Keeping all of this in mind, in this essay I will examine the major issues.

Social Factors

Comparisons between Roman Society and Medieval Society give a clear picture of the importance of chess to developments in social conduct. I will not insult the readers inteligence by explaining this obvious comparison any further. When The Tygers of Pan Tang sang 'It's lonely at the top. Everybody's trying to do you in' [1] , they globalised an issue which had remained buried in the hearts of our ancestors for centuries. A society without chess is like a society without knowledge, in that it is crunchy on the outside but soft in the middle.

Our post-literate society, more than ever before, relies upon chess. If society has a favourite child, it is chess.

Economic Factors

Economics has been defined as 'I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine.' To my learned ear that sounds like two people with itchy backs. We will primarily be focusing on the Watkis-Teeth-Pulling model of economics. National
      Debt

chess

There is no longer a need to argue the importance of chess, it is clear to see that the results speak for themselves. The question which surfaces now is, how? Well the national debt world wide are driven entirely by chess. Many analysts fear a subsequent depression.

Political Factors

Politics was once a game featuring competitors from elite classes. Placing theory on the scales of justice and weighing it against practice can produce similar results to contrasting chessilisation, as it's become known, and one's own sense of morality.

To quote the star of stage and screen Demetrius T. Time 'Political idealists must ideally deal, for I daily list my ideals politically.' [2] What a fantastic quote. If chess be the food of politics, play on.

I wait anxiously. What will the next few years bring for chess?
      Conclusion

In my opinion chess has a special place in the heart of mankind. It enlightens our daily lives, applauds greatness and is a joy to behold.

One final thought from the talented Courteney Beckham: 'I love chess? Yes! Hurray for chess!' [3]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] Tygers of Pang Tang - The Cage - 1982 MCR Records

[2] Time - Yes Indeed - 1987 Indegro Books

[3] Go mad for chess - Issue 132 - Kendeal Books

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
        My platform; if I were to run...
        :) Stirring words!
        After that post, I think you must run! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
          I've been waiting to read a reply to your very sensible suggestion of instituting national class titles for CFC members. That as a way of retaining members and building more interest in playing in the events. Sadly, no notice seems to have been taken.

If it's working in the U.S., why wouldn't it work here?
          I like this idea of Tom's. It seems like a fairly inexpensive idea that could be implemented quickly and which would bring some meaning and rewards for class players to participate in CFC play. I was going to bring up the issue of NM titles which is the only title that the CFC offers currently. There is currently no mechanism to award the NM titles earned.

It seems to me that this would require a significant rewrite and upgrade of the software currently used to keep track of ratings and which would now include keeping track of titles and progress towards earning them as well. You would also want to integrate it with the website so that people could look up their progress, titles and ratings online. I don't see this as being something that would be all that expensive to implement though much will depend on the final form of the new CFC website which is coming Real Soon Now.

Comment

"There is no longer a need to argue the importance of chess, it is clear to see that the results speak for themselves. The question which surfaces now is, how? Well the national debt world wide are driven entirely by chess. Many analysts fear a subsequent depression."

Nice to see you, posting your template for global warming arguments. Why don't you run for CFC president? I might even vote for you though I would worry that you might somehow use the office to further your AGW agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
              With good reason. Most of the people who I talk to seem to think that the negative energy makes it not worth getting involved in. They have their opinions but they don't want to have to suffer the consequences of those opinions which is fine. It is probably a wise choice built around the observation that when you argue with a fool, there are two fools arguing.
              I agree - just making an observation. :)
              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Being unwilling to defend one's opinions is the reason the Governors' Board has not gone public.

Comment

And why the quarterly Governors' On-line Meetings have not gone public.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                    Being unwilling to defend one's opinions is the reason the Governors' Board has not gone public.
                    Wrong. :(

The Governors Board was setup as a private board to give the governors an alternative to emails for discussion of issues between governors. This vehicle actually promotes a healthy less formal discussion amongst the governors. Not every comment or thought needs to be in the public forum.

If a governor has an opinion, he has a right to it. IMHO, aggressively defending it against every ridiculous attack is not required. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                      And why the quarterly Governors' On-line Meetings have not gone public.

Bob
                      Also wrong. :(

If a governor has an opinion, he has a right to it. IMHO, aggressively defending it against every ridiculous attack is not required. :)

Comment

No, Bob G. You are wrong on both accounts. One in a position of governing should have their opinions held up to public scrutiny. One doesn't need to defend oneself against all "attacks". One can choose to ignore them. It is an issue of governing in a transparent manner.

Comment

No, Bob G. You are wrong on both accounts. One in a position of governing should have their opinions held up to public scrutiny. One doesn't need to defend oneself against all "attacks". One can choose to ignore them. It is an issue of governing in a transparent manner.
                          Ken, I voted in favour of making the last on-line Governor's meeting public after we finished as an alternative to having to construct minutes. I didn't feel there was anything to hide.

On the other hand I think we have the Governor's Forum for a reason, and that is to discuss matters that are reserved for the Governor's. Anything significant that happens will be released to the membership.

Comment

One in a position of governing should have their opinions held up to public scrutiny. One doesn't need to defend oneself against all "attacks". One can choose to ignore them. It is an issue of governing in a transparent manner.
                            I am in complete 100% agreement with your statement as edited above. :D
                            Have a nice day. :)

If you have to say more, have the last word, go ahead, I will probably choose to ignore it. ;)

Comment

It's good to see even CFC presidents can learn, Bob G. ;)

Fred, there are a very limited amount of things that Governors can justify discussing in private. ie. legal and employees.

Anyway you cut it, Governors are unwiling to have their debates open to public scrutiny.

Comment

FYI: CFC Governor's Secrets

It's good to see even CFC presidents can learn, Bob G. ;)

Fred, there are a very limited amount of things that Governors can justify discussing in private. ie. legal and employees.

Anyway you cut it, Governors are unwiling to have their debates open to public scrutiny.
                                There are 4 threads on the CFC Governor's Forum that have been active to some degree in the past 7 days. In chronological order (from most recently updated).

1) Kirsan in Libya (comments on situation).
                                2) Outsourcing Contract (announcement).
                                3) Canadian National Master Certificate (questions).
                                4) CFC Presidency (comments on candidates).

Comment

Working...
                                X