X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official CFC Candidates for President

1) Serge Archambault announced on the CFC Forum June 8
    2) Pierre Dénommée announced on the CFC Forum June 11

Pierre threw his hat into the ring today.

It's interesting to note that Serge's platform is on the CFC Forum, and has not received any negative comments there.

There are probably a sizable number of CFC Governors who gave up on Chess Talk a long time ago.............

And a lot of those on Chess Talk have little interest in the CFC Forum (even though it has my "great" International News blurbs :)).

Re: Official CFC Candidates for President

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post

There are probably a sizable number of CFC Governors who gave up on Chess Talk a long time ago.............
    To recruit new members it's often helpful to go forth into the chess community and spread the word of the organization.

If I were CFC president, I would accumlate the names of interested chess players who are NOT members of the CFC and send them a couple of issues of the publication each year with an invitation to join the CFC.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      To recruit new members it's often helpful to go forth into the chess community and spread the word of the organization.

If I were CFC president, I would accumlate the names of interested chess players who are NOT members of the CFC and send them a couple of issues of the publication each year with an invitation to join the CFC.
      And I think chess organizations should be connecting to places whever chess is played: all the schools, community centres, senior centres. What is it we can offer them? A magazine wouldn't be of much interest. How about ways to help people learn how to play and get better, computer programs, places to get cheap sets and clocks, connecting them with teachers, masters who can give a simult, access to a large chess set for fairs. The vast majority of chessplayers are casual players. Some of those enthusiasts will seek out tournament play and eventually become CFC members.

Comment

Gary: That idea was not lost on us, and it was one of Bob's major goals when he became President. I convinced him (rightly or wrongly) that we should complete the web site first. I would not be surprised if he leads the way on the Membership Drive file this coming year.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
          And I think chess organizations should be connecting to places whever chess is played: all the schools, community centres, senior centres. What is it we can offer them?
          I attended the local seniors club for a few years. They had a chess club one afternoon a week. From the few hundred people who were members of the seniors club only about 6 or 7 came out for chess. The strength varied greatly. From very low to whatever my OTB strength is. I tried to show them ideas and ways to improve their game but without any success. The same pattern would come back in the play.

Bingo day was a big hit at the club as was the two penny poker days. Also, the billiards table always seemed to have players. Urban legend had it they would practice all day and hit the local pool halls in the evening. Beware of old guys who hang around pool halls. :)

I stopped going. Being a seniors club, it seemed as soon as I got to know someone he'd pass on. It was discouraging.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Gary: That idea was not lost on us, and it was one of Bob's major goals when he became President. I convinced him (rightly or wrongly) that we should complete the web site first. I would not be surprised if he leads the way on the Membership Drive file this coming year.
            I sure hope someone leads a membership drive. I figure the potential of the federation is one tenth of one percent of the population. About 33,000 members. That would be a realistic goal, although, it might not be attainable.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I sure hope someone leads a membership drive. I figure the potential of the federation is one tenth of one percent of the population. About 33,000 members. That would be a realistic goal, although, it might not be attainable.
              I don't know how many names are on the CFC list, but even if free membership was given to everyone who has played in the last 10 years, in a CFC rated or FQE or CMA rated event, would the total number of tournament players be that high? That level of membership would have to include non-tournament players such as parents, sponsors and school staff.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                I don't know how many names are on the CFC list, but even if free membership was given to everyone who has played in the last 10 years, in a CFC rated or FQE or CMA rated event, would the total number of tournament players be that high? That level of membership would have to include non-tournament players such as parents, sponsors and school staff.
                I've heard it said that whatever obscure cause or idea, there will be approximately one tenth of one percent of the population who will agree or take part.

We discussed this on a chess message board which no longer exists. The ICCF took down the message board .

In any case, a couple of the participants mentioned they had close to that percentage of players in their nation. I forget the nations now.

In this country the population has grown since 1980 when it was 24 million to now when it's approximately 34 million and the number of members has declined.

A member is a member and helps pay the bills. If the organization can get parents and school staff to join, all the better. Sponsors are also nice.

It might also be nice if there could be a concerted effort to get more participation from Quebec in CFC rated events. Quebec has some very good chess players who are mostly unknown on the national chess scene. Back in the day, about a third of the CCCA membership was from Quebec.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Can I vote in this?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
                    Can I vote in this?
                    Only if you become a CFC governor.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                      Only if you become a CFC governor.
                      Quite perturbing. As a member of the CFC, I feel as though my voice needs to be heard. And yet... it is not. :-/

Comment

I think that matching the USCF in per capita participation would be a realistic intermediate goal and that would see a CFC membership level of about 8,000 which would be a great improvement over the present situation.

The whole problem that I see with the CFC presidency is that most chess organizers can have a much more positive impact on Canadian Chess by working locally to help the kids in their region improve and play more chess. No frustration, no red tape, no governors, just more chess. You also get to see the results almost immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                          I think that matching the USCF in per capita participation would be a realistic intermediate goal and that would see a CFC membership level of about 8,000 which would be a great improvement over the present situation.

The whole problem that I see with the CFC presidency is that most chess organizers can have a much more positive impact on Canadian Chess by working locally to help the kids in their region improve and play more chess. No frustration, no red tape, no governors, just more chess. You also get to see the results almost immediately.
                          In terms of per capita equality you should probably make adjustments for:

a) the FQE. Assuming you were working on Canada's total pop, this adjusts the number to something like 6000.

b) juniors. I don't know what the uscf policy on this is but if their junior tournaments typically require membership versus the cfc policy of not requiring membership, this would account for much of the rest of the discrepancy.

Comment

The primary goal remains to increase the membership. IMHO, this past year we have successfully tackled some of the major impediments to growth. The new website will be launched soon, the newsletter has shown steady improvement and is gaining acceptance, office operations continue to improve, and quarterly governors meeting have improved the political landscape. As well, we tackled the implementation of a CYCC qualification system. It is discouraging indeed to see that the actual membership number declined, but I do believe our work this year will generate long term membership growth. :D

Fred is correct in his assessment that I am willing to participate positively in my role as Past President. I just need somebody else to sit in the big chair. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                              In terms of per capita equality you should probably make adjustments for:

a) the FQE. Assuming you were working on Canada's total pop, this adjusts the number to something like 6000.

b) juniors. I don't know what the uscf policy on this is but if their junior tournaments typically require membership versus the cfc policy of not requiring membership, this would account for much of the rest of the discrepancy.
                              In the 1970's the CFC changed their model. Business manager, magazine and the objective of bringing Quebec into the CFC. It will be 40 years in another couple of years and still that objective has not been met.

I thought part of the USCF membership was a lot of life members who joined many years ago at a low cost. Also, wasn't it necessary for those playing postal chess with them to buy a membership, and maybe it still is. The Golden Knights event was very popular.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                              X