Official CFC Candidates for President

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official CFC Candidates for President

Yes, and the only one that fits the criteria for confidentiality is the one on outsourcing.

Comment

"If a governor has an opinion, he has a right to it. IMHO, aggressively defending it against every ridiculous attack is not required."

Seems reasonable to me, but what has this got to do with whether or not it should be public? It's the ridiculous opinions, not the ridiculous attacks, that need a public airing. :D
      Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        You need to be a CFC Governor to vote, but AFAIK you can run for CFC Office without being a Governor... go for it
        I would likely run, but I have school 19 hours a day, so I don't think that I'll be able to. Perhaps next year, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
          I would likely run, but I have school 19 hours a day, so I don't think that I'll be able to. Perhaps next year, though.
          I can't run either. I sleep 23 hours a day. Maybe that wouldn't disqualify me.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
            1) Serge Archambault announced on the CFC Forum June 8
            2) Pierre Dénommée announced on the CFC Forum June 11

Pierre threw his hat into the ring today.

It's interesting to note that Serge's platform is on the CFC Forum, and has not received any negative comments there.

There are probably a sizable number of CFC Governors who gave up on Chess Talk a long time ago.............

And a lot of those on Chess Talk have little interest in the CFC Forum (even though it has my "great" International News blurbs :)).
            You are such a smart a... :). I like you Fred...your heart is in the right place...but that does not prevent me to disagree with you LOL)

Anyway, as I have said many times before...the CFC is its own worse enemy...tis like playing an opening variation...losing...playing it again...losing again...and you still keep playing the same opening with the same result...time to do some study here...HELLO! :)

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
              You are such a smart a... :). I like you Fred...your heart is in the right place...but that does not prevent me to disagree with you LOL)

Anyway, as I have said many times before...the CFC is its own worse enemy...tis like playing an opening variation...losing...playing it again...losing again...and you still keep playing the same opening with the same result...time to do some study here...HELLO! :)

Larry

Larry - It's not my nature to be critical of anybody. I'm not exactly sure which part of the post you disagree you - if you want to clarify.

I would hope to be able to positively endorse somebody for president when it's clear all of the candidates have come forward ......... I would guess Bob and I sent 300-400 e-mails to each other this year, so if I'm back I'll likely be working closely with them.

Actually, I think being called smart a** by you is a positive thing

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                I would hope to be able to positively endorse somebody for president when it's clear all of the candidates have come forward .........
                Already two candidates for president, both experienced arbiters from Quebec. What more can one ask for ? :);) Historically when was the last time there were more than two candidates for the CFC presidency ? Or even more than one ? At this late time I would not be surprised if no other candidate would come forward.
                Of course it is reassuring to know that the CFC cannot easily go any lower than it already has. However both of these candidates have the potential to exceed expectations and lead the CFC where it has never gone before.

Comment

It's my understanding a governor can be nominated at the meeting, without declaring his interest even the day before the election, and win the election.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                    Historically when was the last time there were more than two candidates for the CFC presidency ? Or even more than one ?
                    2 candidates were just two years ago (2009/10): David Lavin vs Eric Van Dusen.
                    More than two: I don't know. Maybe this year :D

Comment

As far as I know, that is right. Doesn't give a lot of time though, if any, for the voters to question the candidate ( though maybe that's the intention! ).

The Problem - won't get any proxy votes.

Bob

Comment

I think it's called being "pressed into service". I used to like when that happend to me. It made me feel wanted. :)

It's a great phrase to use on a term paper if one can work it in.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
                          I would likely run, but I have school 19 hours a day, so I don't think that I'll be able to.
                          Got to be reform school.

Comment

Hi Bob Gillanders;

To answer your question about why I renew each year?
                            I renew my membership because I want my games rated and also I want to be able to use the Swiss Sys system to rate tournaments that I run.
                            If I could do both these things without renewing I would not renew as I feel the CFC has nothing to offer me, other than a rating update if I play.

Can anyone run as CFC President or do you have to be a governor?

I always thought I wanted to run as I feel a common player knows more about what the run of the mill player wants.

If I was a governor I'd vote for Peter as he to me seems like the best candidate.But what do I know I'm no governor but most that I know are too dogmatic in their ideas and really do not believe in change. They have just been there too long and I guess that reflects on the reason the CFC has lost members they just don't know what it means to keep members happy.

I also feel that no matter who gets in as President they cannot change the feelings of the dogmatic Governors who really should be updated to new blood new ideas and younger ideas won't change because they can't change to better the CFC they are happy the way it is. The Refridgerator is broken its time to get it fixed before the beer warms.

That is just my opinion. But if there is no real changes that bring in younger ideas with more moving changes then to me the CFC is useless.

The CFC says it helps foster chess but really it is just using its members as a cash cow that uses the money to do their own whims.

If they really fostered chess they would get all chess players across Canada united, work with Chess 'n math get them to get support to all schools across Canada.

Support the junior whiz kids. Help the elite players to continue working with chess whether it be as setting up workshops that the elite can teach the Juniors or offer that the elite players do a tour and give simuls to off beat place clubs etc etc. Get chess national not just local.

Do we really want the CFC or does the CFC need us? I think the later is the case. Maybe we should dis ban and start up a new league that supports the run of the mill players and the elite players.

I for one would drop the CFC if they cannot give me what I want. But right now they fulfill my needs a CFC rating. Guess that is why I never became a supporter of the CFC governors and I guess that is why I was never nominated as a governor either.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                              Hi Bob Gillanders;

To answer your question about why I renew each year?
                              I renew my membership because I want my games rated and also I want to be able to use the Swiss Sys system to rate tournaments that I run.
                              If I could do both these things without renewing I would not renew as I feel the CFC has nothing to offer me, other than a rating update if I play.

I always thought I wanted to run as I feel a common player knows more about what the run of the mill player wants.

If I was a governor I'd vote for Peter as he to me seems like the best candidate.But what do I know I'm no governor but most that I know are too dogmatic in their ideas and really do not believe in change. They have just been there too long and I guess that reflects on the reason the CFC has lost members they just don't know what it means to keep members happy.

I also feel that no matter who gets in as President they cannot change the feelings of the dogmatic Governors who really should be updated to new blood new ideas and younger ideas won't change because they can't change to better the CFC they are happy the way it is. The Refridgerator is broken its time to get it fixed before the beer warms.

That is just my opinion. But if there is no real changes that bring in younger ideas with more moving changes then to me the CFC is useless.

The CFC says it helps foster chess but really it is just using its members as a cash cow that uses the money to do their own whims.

If they really fostered chess they would get all chess players across Canada united, work with Chess 'n math get them to get support to all schools across Canada.

Support the junior whiz kids. Help the elite players to continue working with chess whether it be as setting up workshops that the elite can teach the Juniors or offer that the elite players do a tour and give simuls to off beat place clubs etc etc. Get chess national not just local.

Do we really want the CFC or does the CFC need us? I think the later is the case. Maybe we should dis ban and start up a new league that supports the run of the mill players and the elite players.

I for one would drop the CFC if they cannot give me what I want. But right now they fulfill my needs a CFC rating. Guess that is why I never became a supporter of the CFC governors and I guess that is why I was never nominated as a governor either.
                              John: Maybe you should seriously considering running. You always seem to have fresh ideas.......

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                                It sounds that before elected a president should be a Governor.

"14. Immediately upon his election, the President shall cease to be a voting Governor for his Provincial Organization, and he shall have power to appoint an acting Governor in his stead, if necessary to ensure full representation for the Province he represented, and such appointment shall be for the balance of the Annual General Meeting then in session, and subject to the subsequent nomination of a Governor by his Provincial Organization, as otherwise provided for."
                                In a case you would consider to step forward, there are ways to make you a Governor. (someone steps down from the OCA list, you are appointed by the OCA president, you become a CFC president, your vacating place is taken back by a step-down person :D

Comment

Working...
                                X