Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official CFC Candidates for President

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Fred, did the CFC look for an official player for the Commonwealth games?
    http://www.chessa.co.za/tournament_w..._entrants.html
    No CAN players.
    According to Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada, Canada contributes a lot to Commonwealth http://www.international.gc.ca/commo...ex.aspx?view=d, thus a GM CAN player definitely would get a free trip to Africa :D
    Well if your second statement was true, we probably could have found a player !

As far as I know we weren't approached by anyone willing to participate, nor did we seek out anyone. I'm not sure if we even received any official documentation, as opposed to just reading about it on the web.

Comment

I wonder who can fill Michael's shoes as the OCA President if a vacancy should appear if he wins CFC Presidency?
      No one wanted to take on the job at the OCA AGM at Hamilton.

when can the common chess player use this new CFC Website?
      I looked at it but looks like alot of money spent but for what purpose?. All I want is to read about ratings and upcoming tournaments and Cross tables.
      As long as the emag is emailed to me that is fine. Otherwise I'd doubt I'd ever use the bells and whistles on this new website.

Comment

Michael wrote in the post linked above that he has lined up his replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
          Michael wrote in the post linked above that he has lined up his replacement.
          Maybe Serge or Pierre ? :D

Comment

Not unless they move to Ontario, Jean...:D

Comment

Not unless they move to Ontario, Jean...:D
              Do not believe that Ontario is safe. Serge is a big mover... :D

Comment

I was born in Ontario, I wonder if that confers honourary OCA membership upon me.
                Last edited by Ken Craft; Tuesday, 28th June, 2011, 02:07 PM.

Comment

I was born in Ontario, I wonder if that confers honourary OCA membership upo me.
                  Of course. That will be 7 dollars please.

Comment

But I'm a Life Member....

Comment

Originally posted by fred mckim View Post
                      i would be more interested in this kevin, if all of the cheers for him weren't coming from a mainly anoymous bulletin board. Does anybody even know who he is, outside of ottawa ?
                      In late 2006, I received a phone call from somebody representing himself as Neil James Frarey, asking if I was willing to direct the Canadian Open. I was non-committal, but before long it was announced that I was directing the tournament. On the basis of what was known about him, that seemed typical. After determining that the event would be held in two sections, and that exactly one GM (Kevin Spraggett) would be specially invited, I assented to direct. I also received emails. The rest, as they say, is history. At the 2007 Canadian Open, I did not see a Neil James Frarey, or if I did, he was not introduced or identified to me. The rumour was that he absented himself from the tournament as part of the agreement under which he ceded management of it. So, inside or "outside of Ottawa", I don't know that NJF exists. Or, as probably nobody would express it in Russian:

[strike]Есть[/strike] Быть Нил Джеймс Фрейри? Это не вкусным вопросом.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                        I wonder who can fill Michael's shoes as the OCA President if a vacancy should appear if he wins CFC Presidency?
                        No one wanted to take on the job at the OCA AGM at Hamilton.
                        At one Canadian Championship (1978), Camille Coudari (later IM and co-director of The Great Chess Movie) out of nowhere asked if I was a separatist. After a brief double-take, I replied: "An Ontario separatist? There doesn't seem much point." He laughed, too.

Comment

But I'm a Life Member....
                          Of the CFC but not the OCA...
                          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Will they sell me one?

Comment

Will they sell me one?
                              Yes. They (the OCA) sold Bob Armstrong one... as far as I know, he is the only Life Member of the OCA.

This is largely because nobody could figure out how to become a Life Member of the OCA (and as I recall, there was a lively discussion of the fee... which I don't recall)

The consensus at the time was that CFC Life Members *should* be remitting a provincial membership fee every year...

However, this is all too hazy in my memory now. Perhaps Bob A. can recollect better than I can...
                              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

The fee is 15% of whatever the CFC Life Membership fee is.

But in any case that totally ignores all of the problems still inherent in that, and I couldn't get anyone else to care about it much when I tried before.
                                Christopher Mallon
                                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Working...
                                X