Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official CFC Candidates for President

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
    If CCN is going to serve as historical record (and I think it should) I maintain that it should be printed yearly, even if it is only a few hundred copies. I am certainly old fashioned but somehow I trust hard disks and DVDs less than the good old paper.
    Jean this was a great idea, and we're still working on the details. Thanks !!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
      Jean this was a great idea, and we're still working on the details. Thanks !!
      Now this I like!! Someone that is capable to say "shut up" in a polite and yet somewhat subtle manner! :)
      Of course I am delighted to learn that the idea has been picked up and on its way to being implemented. However past experiences tell me that it is only when the result can te touched or seen that victory can be claimed.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
        1) Serge Archambault announced on the CFC Forum June 8
        2) Pierre Dénommée announced on the CFC Forum June 11
        Mr Archambeault, although quite capable in my opinion, is a very polarizing figure. While I am certain he has some good and not so good ideas, I have my doubts whether he is the right choice to lead what is already a dysfunctional organisation. A roll of the dice type candidate but considering the CFC recent past, maybe his time has come.

Mr Dénommée's candidature came as a total shock to me. Not only was he was incompetent as the CFC treasurer (he wrote reams of proposed rules affecting practically no one instead of focusing on the finances), he was the president of the FQSE for over two years; the only chess organization in the world who met 100% of its objectives without ever holding any official or unofficial event. "Chess is to codified, not played!" should be his slogan ....
        Last edited by Daniel Rouleau; Wednesday, 22nd June, 2011, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Gee you had to go and remind me of the frustration of Pierre as Treasurer.

One must not forget the rather extended time of "I'll be going to Ottawa shortly to see the office and get a budget ready" ... still waiting for that budget!
          Christopher Mallon
          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

• Re: CFC Handbook Updating Subcommittee

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            The CFC has a CFC Handbook Updating Subcommittee. It is a one-person Subcommittee of Kerry Liles. Kerry updates the website Handbook as soon a the quarterly meetings are concluded - I send him the motions - he is relatively fast at this.

He also was doing some clean-up updating, but this got put on hold as the new website came into view. Kerry has been in direct contact with Fred McKim on how the CFC Handbook will fit into the new website, and its updating character.

Kerry reports to the Procedures' Committee - I am Chair; Bob Gillanders is the member ( this position is taken each July by the new President ). The chair position is up for reappointment each year.

Bob
            There are a couple of sub-sections of Section 2 of the Handbook that might well need to be updated (or clarified first by motion(s) if necessary), if they are currently not being considered for updating:

"ELECTION OF PRESIDENT

13. Immediately upon the convening of the Incoming Assembly, the Chairman shall call for the election of a President for the ensuing term, and in this matter the retiring President shall have a deliberate vote.
            "

There is no mention here or elsewhere that I could find so far that explicitly states that a candidate simply needs to declare his candidacy (and whether this is done before the AGM would not be too soon), rather than needing to be nominated by a Governor first. Plus there is no restriction on whether the candidate need be a Governor (let alone a CFC member?!), though the following sub-section (which like I wrote, might be updated if necessary) would strongly suggest that the Handbook assumes the candidate must be an Incoming Governor, which is not necessarily how things work in practice:

"PRESIDENT A GOVERNOR AT LARGE

14. Immediately upon his election, the President shall cease to be a voting Governor for his Provincial Organization"
            Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
            Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
              KS thinks a third undeclared candidate is a current executive member.
              "Undeclared" at this point might mean they have an excellent chance at winning... it seems declaring early (or at all) might be a strategic blunder - it gives people time to think rather than just react.
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I'd be shocked if there isn't at least one more candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                  "Undeclared" at this point might mean they have an excellent chance at winning... it seems declaring early (or at all) might be a strategic blunder - it gives people time to think rather than just react.
                  Declaring too late means that they might run into a proxy problem. So far we have only heard from Serge as far as his plans and platform.

Comment

I think many proxies may be balnk or include neagtive instructions as they have in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                      Gee you had to go and remind me of the frustration of Pierre as Treasurer.

One must not forget the rather extended time of "I'll be going to Ottawa shortly to see the office and get a budget ready" ... still waiting for that budget!
                      Maybe the moving truck did not show up?

Comment

It looks like Ottawa's Neil James Frarey is getting ready to officially jump into the presidential race. He has re-appeared, on the revived Ottawa Chess Club message board:

http://www.boards2go.com/boards/boar...ttawachessclub
                        Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                        Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Every circus needs some clowns.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                            Every circus needs some clowns.
                            The Joker has recently decided not to run for CFC president.

The Joker commented, " The magazine has been burned, the office has been sold, the bookstore has been disheveled. WHAT MORE IS THERE TO DO?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                              I'd be shocked if there isn't at least one more candidate.
                              Prepare to be shocked !!!

Honestly, this group of candidates isn't very impressive. CFC Governors are in general apathetic in nature and haven't said much of anything about the candidates, preferring it seems to expect ordinary CFC members ( and ex-members ) to voice an opinion. This is backwards the Governors are supposed to represent and be proactive, not the members they represent.

Pierre seems somewhat unclear in his thinking and even posted something about 49% of Quebec still wanting to seperate from Canada which I don't believe is all that up-to-date. He reminds me of Eric Van Dusen, probably a decent man but not the best leader. Serge, quite honestly, I don't buy his new "image". He's a lot more "old school" CFC then new. I could go further but basically, let's just say a lack of empathy for others might be a problem.

I see some decent chess projects in Canada, but its very unclear what role the CFC has in any of it anymore. There remains somewhat of an undercurrent in our area to avoid the CFC. Seems to be occurring in BC as well.

Comment

There was a little bit of chatter in the Governor's forum. If we assume NJF will run, that still leaves us with three candidates who have been inactive in CFC matters for a long time - Not an ideal situation.
                                Christopher Mallon
                                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Working...
                                X