Official CFC Candidates for President

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official CFC Candidates for President

Oh, goodie!!! A troika!!! Let the fun begin....
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
      Prepare to be shocked !!!

Honestly, this group of candidates isn't very impressive. CFC Governors are in general apathetic in nature and haven't said much of anything about the candidates, preferring it seems to expect ordinary CFC members ( and ex-members ) to voice an opinion. This is backwards the Governors are supposed to represent and be proactive, not the members they represent.
      I am a somewhat reluctant governor in that no one else wanted the job of masters' representative at the Canadian Closed players meeting and I volunteered, (perhaps foolishly) thinking that I might be able to do something to slowly change the system from within.

Here is this governor's take on the election:
      Both Serge and Pierre have responded to debate questions posted by Bob Armstrong and Fred McKim. Both have seemed reasonable and articulate in their responses. Both seem to be proposing status quo preserving platforms. Based only on that series of exchanges, either one or the other presents themselves as capable of serving as CFC president and not making a bigger mess of things.

However there are dark rumblings about both these candidates stemming from their times at the CFC (Serge as ED, and Pierre as treasurer). They will have to answer how things will be different now before I can in good conscience vote for either of them. Given that most of our recent presidents have been fairly good and promising (Hal Bond, David Lavin, Bob Gillanders) they have some big shoes to fill.

Pierre seems somewhat unclear in his thinking and even posted something about 49% of Quebec still wanting to seperate from Canada which I don't believe is all that up-to-date.
      My impression is that he was talking about Quebec chessplayers and not Quebecers in general. I have met a number of Quebec chess players but haven't really discussed politics with any of them since about 1978 when the topic seemed more relevant. Clearly if he was talking about Quebecers in general the recent election results seem to contradict him.

He reminds me of Eric Van Dusen, probably a decent man but not the best leader. Serge, quite honestly, I don't buy his new "image". He's a lot more "old school" CFC then new. I could go further but basically, let's just say a lack of empathy for others might be a problem.
      Eric Van Dusen for whatever reasons was not particularly effective. I think he underestimated the demands that would be placed upon him. I never communicated with him directly but when the google blacklist and website being hacked issues cropped up and his public statements painted him and the CFC as completely clueless (to put it charitably), I offered advice through my local governor and was rebuffed rudely. My impression was of someone who was haughty and arrogant and wasn't even smart enough to grab onto the life preserver that someone was trying to throw him as he was drowning.

As Springsteen wrote we are all "waiting for a savior to rise from these streets." Maybe he came and decided the CFC wasn't worth saving.

Maybe I should run on an anti-AGW platform and thus sucker Paul Beckwith into opposing me though if he won he might draft a motion to eject me from the CFC as a heretic for refusing to bow down to the new official CFC AGW religion. Hmmm.... both Pierre and Serge are looking better.

I see some decent chess projects in Canada, but its very unclear what role the CFC has in any of it anymore. There remains somewhat of an undercurrent in our area to avoid the CFC. Seems to be occurring in BC as well.
      The CFC doesn't have to be involved in every chess project. Lets not choke the good seeds before they have a chance to grow.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
        It looks like Ottawa's Neil James Frarey is getting ready to officially jump into the presidential race. He has re-appeared, on the revived Ottawa Chess Club message board:

http://www.boards2go.com/boards/boar...ttawachessclub
        I would be more interested in this Kevin, if all of the cheers for him weren't coming from a mainly anoymous bulletin board. Does anybody even know who he is, outside of Ottawa ?

Comment

I hear rumors that Atlantic Canada might produce a candidate as well.

Comment

Do you refer to the Maritime Provinces or Atlantic Provinces? Not to narrow it down or that sort of thing.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I did say Atlantic Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                I did say Atlantic Canada.
                I would like to think that any potential candidate would be willing to show their "face" on either this bulletin board or the CFC Forum at least a few days before the election.

I think that one of the positives this year was the amount of time both Bob G and I were willing to spend on the boards answering questions, informing, taking flak, etc.

A lot of people here at CT seem to think that the CFC never changes, but I like to think we've taken some positive steps in communication this year. Also to be thanked is Bob A who has become the first ever PR Officer for the CFC.

Comment

I hear rumors that Atlantic Canada might produce a candidate as well.
                  Any truth to the rumours that Ben Daswani, Peter Stockhausen, and Barry Thorvardson are running as well ? Jon Stewart would love this election.

I've learned to expect the unexpected at the CFC. I remember when young Ben was up to no good ( as I experienced first hand, carelessly getting caught up in a web of lies ), the CFC soon after made him a CFC Governor. Serge Archambault also became a CFC Governor, even though he had been fired as ED. At that point, I realized the CFC was a political circus and anything was possible. Later on, I noted that Peter Stockhausen was a CFC Governor even though he was officially a missing man.

So it should come as no surprise given the past quality control on CFC Governors, that basically anything can happen when it is CFC Governors voting. I guess the best way to handle it is simply be entertained by the action, and not take it too seriously. For example, Van Dusen was certainly one of the funniest CFC Presidents ever. He ran on a platform emphasizing open communications, yet ended up being one of the most secretive CFC Presidents in recent memory. And he was great with a shredder to boot. Now that's funny !!!

So on that note, as much as I dislike Serge Archambault as a person, I think for entertainment value, he should be elected. Pierre seems dreadfully boring, and probably won't get much done at all. Serge will get some stuff done, and it may be entertaining seeing it all unfold. I can see Serge enrolling Kevin S. and Jean H. to help out, and while I have no idea how effective they will be, it sure as hell will be entertaining.

Maintaining a sense of humour about the CFC might be something I needed to discover ten years ago, but its pretty clear now.

Comment

The system of elections as it currently exists militates againts early declartaion. The whole election system needs to be over-hauled. It is a relic of a day and age of slow communication where meeting together once a year at a general meeting was important.

You and Bob G. made yourself available online, Fred.

Remind me how many members there are only the Board, Fred? Only 2?

Comment

The system of elections as it currently exists militates againts early declartaion. The whole election system needs to be over-hauled. It is a relic of a day and age of slow communication where meeting together once a year at a general meeting was important.

In all seriousness, the benefits that Bob Gillanders seemed to be working towards as President seem incomplete. I'm not sure what the mandate of the CFC is, what it is trying to do. I can't see one year terms getting the job done on a position being filled by a volunteer.

It could be that no one wants to do this longer then a year. If so, the role has to be changed to be more effective. That way the President actually is there to improve chess and fulfill their stated mandate, not just hold a decorative title that looks good on their portfolio.
                      Last edited by Duncan Smith; Monday, 27th June, 2011, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                        I'm not sure what the mandate of the CFC is, what it is trying to do.
                        At the CFC site see the "About Us" section.

Also, see under Products and Services, the CFC Handbook. Then click on Section 2. The part which might help is III, which is, the Objects of the Corporation are:.

Hope this helps, or maybe someone else has a better reply.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Well, the proxy forms are being sent out very soon, so if someone wants to actually win rather than just run, they need to at least start privately talking to Governors if not publicly announce things.

P.S. My vote is still available...
                          Christopher Mallon
                          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                            I think that one of the positives this year was the amount of time both Bob G and I were willing to spend on the boards answering questions, informing, taking flak, etc.
                            Fred, did the CFC look for an official player for the Commonwealth games?
                            http://www.chessa.co.za/tournament_w..._entrants.html
                            No CAN players.
                            According to Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada, Canada contributes a lot to Commonwealth http://www.international.gc.ca/commo...ex.aspx?view=d, thus a GM CAN player definitely would get a free trip to Africa :D

Comment

Michael von Keitz throws down the glove.
                              http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/showthread.php?t=1801

Comment

Finally, the third candidate enters the race.

Comment

Working...
                                X