X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 Toronto Labour Day Tournament - Register Now

Originally posted by zachary dukic View Post
    ... I trust you and
    Marcus will make the tournament very enjoyable this year ...
    I don't want anyone to get the impression that Hugh Siddeley and I are the only ones organizing this event - just because we're the ones posting here. Organizing the Labour Day Open is a big team effort, and not everyone on that team has the time or the inclination (or the membership) to post on ChessTalk.

I hope at least some of Hugh's and my posts pertaining to the event are helpful. Certainly, some of the talk here has been helpful to me as an organizer. This, despite the verbal battling that Alex Ferreira and others caution me to accept as a constant context on this forum.

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
    90% of posts on chesstalk are empty and useless in content. Whining, complaining and personal attacks are a form of sport for many.
    Unlike John Brown, I don't claim to represent any others who don't or can't post: Ted Winick, David Cohen, Yakos Spiliotopoulos - and all those who are helping to plan and execute this event - can speak for themselves. (Probably, you'll have to judge their input not by what is said on ChessTalk, but by how the event itself runs.)

Thank you, Zachary, for your confidence in our event; I just didn't want you (or anyone else) to think that Hugh and I were the only ones behind it.
    Marcus Wilker
    Annex Chess Club
    Toronto, Ontario

Comment

The Labour Day tournament is still pretty far away, this thread has great comedic potential.

Hiarious so far though. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus Wilker View Post
        I don't want anyone to get the impression that Hugh Siddeley and I are the only ones organizing this event - just because we're the ones posting here. Organizing the Labour Day Open is a big team effort, and not everyone on that team has the time or the inclination (or the membership) to post on ChessTalk.

I hope at least some of Hugh's and my posts pertaining to the event are helpful. Certainly, some of the talk here has been helpful to me as an organizer. This, despite the verbal battling that Alex Ferreira and others caution me to accept as a constant context on this forum.

Unlike John Brown, I don't claim to represent any others who don't or can't post: Ted Winick, David Cohen, Yakos Spiliotopoulos - and all those who are helping to plan and execute this event - can speak for themselves. (Probably, you'll have to judge their input not by what is said on ChessTalk, but by how the event itself runs.)

Thank you, Zachary, for your confidence in our event; I just didn't want you (or anyone else) to think that Hugh and I were the only ones behind it.
        No problem Marcus, but I was under no impression that you and hugh were the only ones running the Labour Day tournament. It takes a big team effort like you said. And since you were the ones posting this forum, I figured thanking you, would pass on the thanks to all of the other organizers and such that will make this tournament a great one. :D Sorry for the misconception. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Siddeley View Post
          Sorry guys I keep forgetting I'm not in the locker room but on a chess message board whose viewers are mostly sensitive geeks with paper-thin skin. No genuine "insults" in any of my posts were ever intended. I apologize for being brash, I would have hoped more of you would have been a bit more insightful and understood my language but that's apparently not the case. It's my fault I should have made it more obvious. I guess you guys are mostly new around here as well, weren't around back in the good old days of chesstalk where sh!t-talking was the norm. If you noticed the youtube clip was from WWE, showcase wrestling... sigh, nevermind, my bad.

Anyone who was insulted by my posts gets a $10 discount for the tournament. Please line up. State your name and what offended you.

The traffic through Strategy the past fortnight on the contrary has
          indicated a deep sense of outrage at the remarks passed against
          John Brown - and a reticence to participate in the Labour Day Open.

It's one thing to flippantly gloss over the barrage of insults as locker-
          room razzing, but the point is given to the lie in the vicious attacks
          on John's personal life and circumstances.

That, is quite unacceptable.

Francis

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Siddeley View Post
            Sorry guys I keep forgetting I'm not in the locker room but on a chess message board whose viewers are mostly sensitive geeks with paper-thin skin. No genuine "insults" in any of my posts were ever intended. I apologize for being brash, I would have hoped more of you would have been a bit more insightful and understood my language but that's apparently not the case. It's my fault I should have made it more obvious. I guess you guys are mostly new around here as well, weren't around back in the good old days of chesstalk where sh!t-talking was the norm. If you noticed the youtube clip was from WWE, showcase wrestling... sigh, nevermind, my bad.

Anyone who was insulted by my posts gets a $10 discount for the tournament. Please line up. State your name and what offended you.
            I was insulted by you suggesting I was trolling; I was insulted by almost every one of your flippant and childish remarks.
            Thanks, but you can keep your $10.
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

This kind of aggressive, turf war like mentality is the main reason that some chess projects are unattractive. "Guys night out" isn't wrong per say as long as everyone understands what they are signing up for. One thing I noticed about the Canadian Open in Kapaskasing is the large cash prizes brought out the worst in people.

I think the CFC and/or the CMA needs to recruit a few organizers and try to get true Amateur events going. Players of any level playing a few serious games but with a modest prize table and maybe some food. One in which your results and number of games you play are secondary to social interaction and building community. Those who are competitive in nature still have their rating to work on ( much like a golf handicap ).

I think some move in that direction will pay more long term dividends then these "prestige" events with large cash prizes and entry fees.

ps CFC would need to mandate a modest tournament fee for those wanting to try such an event but unsure of membership need or
              how often they want to play. Maybe $5/$10 depending on event, and available only on designated "Amateur" events.
              Last edited by Duncan Smith; Monday, 15th August, 2011, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                This kind of aggressive, turf war like mentality is the main reason that some chess projects are unattractive. "Guys night out" isn't wrong per say as long as everyone understands what they are signing up for. One thing I noticed about the Canadian Open in Kapaskasing is the large cash prizes brought out the worst in people.

I think the CFC and/or the CMA needs to recruit a few organizers and try to get true Amateur events going. Players of any level playing a few serious games but with a modest prize table and maybe some food. One in which your results and number of games you play are secondary to social interaction and building community. Those who are competitive in nature still have their rating to work on ( much like a golf handicap ).

I think some move in that direction will pay more long term dividends then these "prestige" events with large cash prizes and entry fees.

ps CFC would need to mandate a modest tournament fee for those wanting to try such an event but unsure of membership need or
                how often they want to play. Maybe $5/$10 depending on event, and available only on designated "Amateur" events.
                I like this idea - sort of like many informal Golf tournaments where there are donated prizes (mostly donated, some may be purchased from the entry fees) but the results would be rated... I think there may be a decent market for that - I know John's Niagara tournaments feature excellent 'food' provided at reasonable price by the hosts...

Entry fees would be modest and most players would be playing for the sake of playing chess - what a concept.
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Good post, Zach.
                  "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                  "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                  "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                    I like this idea - sort of like many informal Golf tournaments where there are donated prizes (mostly donated, some may be purchased from the entry fees) but the results would be rated... I think there may be a decent market for that - I know John's Niagara tournaments feature excellent 'food' provided at reasonable price by the hosts...

Entry fees would be modest and most players would be playing for the sake of playing chess - what a concept.
                    The Roast Beef Sandwiches that are served in the back of the Niagara Shrine Club at the Niagara Falls Open every year, are delicious! They are served at amazing prices, you can eat it with a beer, and analyze your games all in the same room! (Except for me I would prefer a juice over a Beer) ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                      Good post, Zach.
                      Thanks Pete, are you going to Labour day?

Comment

• Focus on the Event...

Chess players focus.

Why not forget the personalities and focus on the event? It sounds like a good one.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

• Updated Pre-registrations??

Can Annex CC update the Pre-regs ( http://annexchessclub.com/2011/07/20...-register-now/ )? It's still as of July 29 - think its bad marketing to keep showing only 13 pre-regs.

I also have to chime in that Hugh's attitude as one of the publicity organizers seems way out of line, and is being detrimental to the tournament registrations.

Thx.

Bob
                          Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Monday, 15th August, 2011, 11:08 PM.

Comment

• Re: Updated Pre-registrations??

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                            Can Annex CC update the Pre-regs ( http://annexchessclub.com/2011/07/20...-register-now/ )? It's still as of July 29 - think its bad marketing to keep showing only 13 pre-regs.
                            #14 Jiaxin Liu registered last night.

Thanks, Bob. Actually. July 29 is the date of the original post. Unfortunately, I can't update it to an August date without having the URL change, breaking all the links - including yours, above :) But I added a total number of players and latest update date under the Pre-registered title.

Pre-register by August 29 to get the earlybird price of $95 - only two weeks left! (On site is $110, cash only.)
                            Marcus Wilker
                            Annex Chess Club
                            Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Sorry Hugh I've been off line computer crashed big time gotta go to Library.
                              $10 you say humm.

I'm sure your numbers will increase once I have paid. But right now I'm not sure if with a $10 discount I'll be able to make the deadline date.

We'll see though.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                                Sorry Hugh I've been off line computer crashed big time gotta go to Library.
                                $10 you say humm.

I'm sure your numbers will increase once I have paid. But right now I'm not sure if with a $10 discount I'll be able to make the deadline date.

We'll see though.
                                John,

I hope I can take it from the familiar, cheeky tone of your post that you're not as offended (or as morally serious) as some others have become on your behalf. While a few have found it funny, the back-and-forth rhetoric between you and Hugh (specifically Hugh's side of it) has brought some serious moral panic upon this event, at least in some quarters of the chess community.

It's quite possible that what you're saying is true. Apart from general last-minute nature of chess registrants, some players may indeed be waiting for your stamp of approval before they register. I hope, as long as you are still coming, that these well-meaning folks don't end up sabotaging your event as a gesture of support for you. What a mess!

Good luck to us all!
                                Marcus Wilker
                                Annex Chess Club
                                Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Working...
                                X