Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 Toronto Labour Day Tournament - Register Now

Originally posted by zachary dukic View Post
    Thanks Pete, are you going to Labour day?
    One of these years I'll play in the Labour Day tournament again (haven't played in one since 1992). Unfortunately, not this year. :/ Good luck, Zach, if you're playing.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
      One of these years I'll play in the Labour Day tournament again (haven't played in one since 1992). Unfortunately, not this year. :/ Good luck, Zach, if you're playing.
      When you decide to go to a labour day tournament again I wish you luck! :) I really want to play in this one, my friend is even willing to split hotel and gas money, but my family and I may or may not be on vacation the weekend this event takes place. I'm crossing my fingers! :D

Comment

Marcus;
        No I did not like some of Hugh's comment's but every one has a right to their opinions. As you have seen by other's who know me what they have replied.
        But what I say is true I will be hard pressed to make the deadline as I have had a few setback's with my work hours cut etc. So even though I said I will attend it will be down to the wire now.

If you want to show some support for your event maybe getting one of your tech guys with a camera who can post some pictures of what Bathurst Site will look like for those who do not play in the Open section rooms but what the Playing hall will look like at say 5pm when the sun is lower and the old rooms were darker.
        Remember that my original post was about starting Rd on Sunday later.
        The rest came after Hugh stepped up to the plate.
        If you have truly upgraded the site then show your potential players what to expect. Words are just words. Pictures shown thousands of words.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
          ... maybe getting one of your tech guys with a camera who can post some pictures of what Bathurst Site will look like for those who do not play in the Open section rooms but what the Playing hall will look like at say 5pm when the sun is lower and the old rooms were darker.
          Hey, John.

Check out the 918 Bathurst website. There's a slideshow on the main page. The photos are from a variety of events, and obviously some of the events are theatre- or mood-lit, but hopefully there are enough bright pictures to be convincing :) The great hall, which I think is the one you're worried about, is the one we Annex players play in every night - except the one night you visited :( It's the one with the 30' cathedral ceiling.

http://918bathurst.com/
          Marcus Wilker
          Annex Chess Club
          Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus Wilker View Post
            Rounds are at 10 am and 4 pm each day. I think that's only 6 hours. Maybe I don't understand your question.
            Marcus: I was wondering the same thing. I think Hugh's been travelling too much and got his time zones mixed up :)
            No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus Wilker View Post
              Hey, John.

Check out the 918 Bathurst website. There's a slideshow on the main page. The photos are from a variety of events, and obviously some of the events are theatre- or mood-lit, but hopefully there are enough bright pictures to be convincing :) The great hall, which I think is the one you're worried about, is the one we Annex players play in every night - except the one night you visited :( It's the one with the 30' cathedral ceiling.

http://918bathurst.com/
              Hi marcus;
              If those are the same pictures that were on the website when we played in May last year they are highly suspected to be doctored because there was nothing near that amount of light in that great hall. I meant reacent pictures with no Flash just so everyone who is not playing in the Open section can see what conditions they will be playing under for $95 vs what the Open Section conditions are like for their $95.
              You can prove me wrong but please post updated time of day photos not ones that are used on the website.

Comment

in the Open section
                The last year Labour - the Open room:

The Hall - pictures were discarded due to lack of light and not using a flash.

This year - I'll see if I could come. Anyway, J.B. you don't like to be photographed

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

This year - I'll see if I could come. Anyway, J.B. you don't like to be photographed
                  Hi Egidijus
                  Incorrect It was announced in the CDN that no photos could be taken so you violated that request by trying to take my picture . had you asked to take it outside the hall I would not have objected. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

If there was lack of light then does that mean that room is darker than the WEBSITE photos?

Comment

If there was lack of light then does that mean that room is darker than the WEBSITE photos?
                      IMHO - yes. A skittle room was the brightest.
                      Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Friday, 19th August, 2011, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Hi marcus;
                        Is there an upadted pre-registered list?
                        Your first posting says only 21 have signed up.
                        Thanks

Comment

Hi marcus;
                          Thanks
                          ''21 players pre-registered as of August 23'' - From the Annex website

That seems pretty up to date. Sad state of affairs if so...

Comment

Hi marcus;
                            Thanks
                            Might be a late rush though. Should be interesting to see the final player list in terms of numbers, class breakdowns, gender, juniors etc..

Stats from some past Macadonians :

2003 - 129 players ( 27 op/14/27/28/33 desc class )
                            2004 - 141 players ( 26 op/19/35/30/32 desc class )

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                              Might be a late rush though. Should be interesting to see the final player list in terms of numbers, class breakdowns, gender, juniors etc..

Stats from some past Macadonians :

2003 - 129 players ( 27 op/14/27/28/33 desc class )
                              2004 - 141 players ( 26 op/19/35/30/32 desc class )
                              Duncan - I don't understand why you would compare stats from so long ago. I think more relevant would be last year.

2010 Toronto Labour Day Open - 144 players (28,34,32,24,26) :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                                Duncan - I don't understand why you would compare stats from so long ago. I think more relevant would be last year.

2010 Toronto Labour Day Open - 144 players (28,34,32,24,26) :)
                                Your post helps illustrate one of the weaknesses in how the CFC does business. Its all one year plans and flying by the seat of your pants type management. Perhaps this is somewhat by necessity, but this is also why you get "surprises" like CYCC surpluses.

Comment

Working...
                                X