Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy 105th Birthday, Zoltan Sarosy!

Amazing guy!

Re: Happy 105th Birthday, Zoltan Sarosy!

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
    Amazing guy!
    http://chess.ca/zoltan-sarosy

Comment

Happy Birthday Zoltan! Many happy returns.

Comment

Happy Birthday Mr. Sarosy. This always brings back memories that I have to see Zoltan to get a new check clock or the latest Informant. How times have changed. Great to see also the Mr. Sarosy was inducted into the Canadian Chess Hall of Fame in 2006. Well deserved.

Comment

Unhiding the message
          Amazing guy!
          Thirty-five years ago, Zoltan Sarosy retired from the chess equipment business and transferred it to the fledgling business office of the CFC. That was a tremendous impetus for the development of the CFC, though friction and inertia later took their toll. Zoltan became a postal chess opponent, especially in the K-series championships of Canada. I have the deepest respect and warmest regards for Zoltan and now, 105, wow!

Since the purpose of the business office was to provide national support (and not potential customers walking in), the early CFC offices were in houses, cheaper than office, commercial or industrial space. In 1976, chess player Sandy Lee had the opportunity to share a large house on Besserer Street in Ottawa with friends and with the CFC. The former tenants, who were moving out on the day that Mr. Sarosy arrived to acquaint me with the chess equipment business, were members of a Hare Krishna group. We broke into big smiles as Mr. Sarosy, who sported a Yul Brenner or Telly Savalas hair cut, quizzically regarded the devotees, who also took the tonsure.

Comment

Happy 105th birthday Zoltan !

Wilf Ferner

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
              Unhiding the message.
              Yup, white text on a white background does rather lack contrast.

Comment

If I may add my greeting and good wishes, I would also add that some of
                your old friends, were they still with us, would also wish you all the best.
                I'm thinking especially of Peter Avery and Geza Fuster, two whose cheerful sense of humour we all enjoyed. I'm sure there were others who I am forgetting but I'm sure that you recall.
                May you continue in good health Zoltan! :):):)

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                  Zoltan became a postal chess opponent, especially in the K-series championships of Canada. I have the deepest respect and warmest regards for Zoltan and now, 105, wow!
                  I remember selling Zoltan his first CCCA membership at a tournament in Toronto. Zoltan went on to represent Canada in postal chess on the international scene.

Happy Birthday, Zoltan!
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Nagyon Boldog Szuletesnapot kivanunk a magyar szarmazasu sakkozok neveben!

Comment

Zoltan as Ian said brings back many wonderful memories. Zlotan many many more birthdays to come.

Sam:)

Comment

"White on White"

Amazing guy!

I like to play games... When I saw those wondering why/complaining that one shouldn't have to have a message in the body awhile back, I thought I would post "without a message in the body" and see how long it took someone to notice! I have done it a few times and only now...

Jon wins! (Not sure what he wins, but he wins!)

:)

Comment

Coincidentally, I was thinking of Zoltan a few days ago when one of my opponents in the Portland, Oregon Centennial Tournament remarked on the nice wooden chess set that I bring to tournaments. He wanted to know where I got it and I mentioned that I paid $20 for it in 1970 from a chess equipment salesman in Toronto, who I well remember was Zoltan.
                          Paul Leblanc
                          Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

It was only a few weeks ago that I had the honour and pleasure to meet in person this extraordinary man, after playing him twice in postal chess about 30 years ago. On going congratulations for this long and fruitful life!

Comment

Zoltan asked me to send all of you his sincere thanks for the good wishes.

When I asked him how his celebration went, he told me, "As for the celebration, it was a great success.... ....I was constantly photographed. Since I was a baby, there were never so many pictures taken of me. (But as they say, in old age you return to your childhood.)"

Comment

Working...
                              X