Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chess: A Game or a Sport

Originally posted by Marcus Wilker View Post
    And in some languages, like Chinese, I can't imagine the game existing at all.
    That would be a gigantic bag of tiles to be sure... and possibly days per turn!?
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
      That would be a gigantic bag of tiles to be sure... and possibly days per turn!?
      Why play scrabble when you can play mahjong
      Shameless self-promotion on display here
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

There wouldn't be much point in adding a new sport to the Olympics if it was exactly like others that are already there. New sports should have to argue for their significant difference from the others rather than their similarity, shouldn't they?
        This is very nicely put. However I still maintain that chess should not make any effort to be categorized as a sport which I consider degrading. Chess is in a class by itself, above all others, of course. That is what should be recognized.

Comment

One way of looking at it is:
          If it is played on a board then its a game.
          If not played on a board then maybe its a sport.
          Chess is intellectual but so is scrabble so why is not scrabble considered a sport?

I think because you play most games on boards that makes the difference more
          concrete that most people consider chess a game.

Comment

A possible criteria for allowing Scrabble (with English letters only?) could be that there is a large number of (English literate) people in the world who play it, and play it well. Allowing Chinese chess as a choice may well be restricting the field of cometitors in that game to fewer skilled players in the world. Plus, the symbols on the pieces are in Chinese, if I recall correctly (certainly for Shogi, which is not included, Japanese symbols are on the pieces). However, knowing how the pieces move is rather more important than reading the symbols for what they are.

In any case, the competition could be set up so that players could compete in some number (but not necessarily all) of the various games allowed, similar to in the Olympics, so that competitors may opt out of, say, Scrabble if they wished.

If Bridge is allowed as an option, why not Poker?

Btw, I think it may be disputable that chess is the best board game, although it could be called in a class by itself (as all the other games are). I remember Jean once implying on chesstalk I should not possibly imply other games are necessarily worse than chess. ;) [edit: I've since found the post by Jean I recalled, though it's not quite as clear-cut about the possibility of chess' superiority as I remembered:

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...e+chess&page=2

(see post #25 in the link above)]
            Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Thursday, 1st March, 2012, 06:51 AM. Reason: Grammar
            Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
            Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
              I think chess is multi-personality:

1. game
              2. sport
              3. art

- all at the same time, and completely meeting the definition of each! ( How's that for being provocative - putting Kasparov-Karpov in the same group as Picasso ! and Mozart! )

Bob
              Here's what Judit Polgar said, when asked (in an interview in the March Canadian Chess News):
              Q - What is modern chess ultimately – sport, science, art or
              something else?

JP - In the last decade it’s become more and more sport.
              Marcus Wilker
              Annex Chess Club
              Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Here's what Judit Polgar said, when asked (in an interview in the March Canadian Chess News):
                Q - What is modern chess ultimately – sport, science, art or
                something else?

JP - In the last decade it’s become more and more sport.
                It seems that many female chess competitors feel this way. WGM Alexandra Kosteniuk made a blog devoted to the fact of chess being a sport.

Comment

Bottom line, if we're talking about government funding: The reason they currently promote sport is to combat obesity and health problems by increasing physical fitness. Does chess in any way serve that goal?

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
                    Bottom line, if we're talking about government funding: The reason they currently promote sport is to combat obesity and health problems by increasing physical fitness. Does chess in any way serve that goal?
                    Absolutely. In a typical weekender, there is as little time as possible left for eating. :)

Comment

Sports and Physical Activity are two different concepts. It is unfortunate that the Government does not understand that.

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post

Comment

It's not about the word 'sport'. It's about health. Arguing that chess is should fit the definition of 'sport' misses the point. Argue instead that chess meets some objectives the government is after, and use that merit to fit into a program.

Comment

Working...
                        X