2012 Canadian Olympiad Dream Team roaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Canadian Olympiad Dream Team roaster

If I will look just for the FIDE rating points standing, we will have all the team with 2551 average rating:
    1 GM.Bluvshtein, Mark/2590
    2 GM.Spraggett, Kevin/2584
    3 GM.Sambuev, Bator/2536
    4 GM.Lesiege, Alexandre/2528
    5 GM.Charbonneau, Pascal/2517

Of course this is not going to be this year team, Mark post on his blog that he is retired, Alexandre and Pascal are not eligible by the CFC rules. I hope Mr. Spraggett will accept the invitation, I just mention that he declined to play in the last 2 editions.

Base on the rules, the invited players will be:

Sambuev Bator GM Champion
    Bluvshtein Mark GM
    Spraggett Kevin GM
    Gerzhoy Leonid IM

The last spot will be decided by Selection Committee members: IM Yan Teplitsky (ON), FM Vlad Pechenkin (AB) and WIM Natalia Khoudgarian (ON).

Personally I like CFC choice of this commitee, is almost equally spread between eastern provinces and western provinces, based on the years Yan spent in BC, he is a BCCF honorific member. They will propose 3 names from the list below as the candidates for Canadian team.

I would like to see the chess players choices for those 3 spots (in case any of the invited players will decline), I mentioned that those choices are not forced to be in the rating order (no committee needed in that case).
    Will be nice if everyone sharing his/hers selection will list some arguments for their pick.

Here is the list from CFC forum:

Players Tit FIDE CFC Avrg #G Elg Pl WNE
    Sambuev Bator GM 2531 2753 2642 ≥20 Champion
    Bluvshtein Mark GM 2611 2634 2623 ≥20 Yes 1
    Spraggett Kevin GM 2588 2618 2603 ≥20 Yes 2
    Gerzhoy Leonid IM 2503 2647 2575 ≥20 Yes 3
    Noritsyn Nikolay IM 2475 2661 2568 ≥20 Yes 4
    Hansen Eric IM 2454 2612 2533 ≥20 Yes 8
    Porper Edward IM 2449 2533 2491 ≥20 Yes 10
    Samsonkin Artem IM 2398 2579 2489 ≥20 Yes 12
    Krnan Tomas IM 2417 2545 2481 ≥20 Yes 13
    Cheng Bindi IM 2426 2533 2480 ≥20 Yes 14
    Panjwani Raja IM 2420 2493 2457 ≥20 Yes 16
    Sapozhnikov Roman FM 2377 2535 2456 ≥20 Yes 17
    Hebert Jean IM 2416 2490 2453 ≥20 Yes 18
    Quan Zhe IM 2427 2462 2445
    IM Cheng Bindi
    3.33%
    IM Hansen Eric
    23.33%
    IM Hebert Jean
    10.00%
    IM Krnan Tomas
    7.78%
    IM Noritsyn Nikolay
    25.56%
    IM Panjwani Raja
    3.33%
    IM Porper Edward
    10.00%
    IM Quan Zhe
    2.22%
    IM Samsonkin Artem
    6.67%
    FM Sapozhnikov Roman
    7.78%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Andrei Botez; Monday, 12th March, 2012, 04:23 PM. Reason: IM Bindi

Re: 2012 Canadian Olympiad Dream Team roaster

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
    Here is the list from CFC forum: Cheng Bindi FM 2426 2533 2480 ≥20 Yes 14
    To make it more solid: Bindi is IM. (The fact was known but the table was not corrected.)

Comment

Nice to see the new Edmonton champion Vlad Pechenkin on the selection committee. I would love to see two Albertans on the team with Edward Porper and Eric Hansen.

Comment

My three choices for candidates are Mr. Eric, Mr. Nikolay and your daughter Ms. Alexandra. From what I've seen on the youtube videos of your daughter, she attracts a lot of attention. 29,000 views is quite a feat. It would be good for Canadian Chess to have her on the team even if she doesn't play.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Haynes View Post
          Nice to see the new Edmonton champion Vlad Pechenkin on the selection committee. I would love to see two Albertans on the team with Edward Porper and Eric Hansen.
          Ditto. Noritsyn should be board five and the two reserves should be Hansen and Porper. Then if Spraggett and Bluvshtein won't play the last two will get their chance. Anything other than that would be simply unjust!

Comment

I would love to see two Albertans....
            If your choice is based on the province where you live is OK for this discussion, but is still not fair. If you had the chance to be part of the selection committee who would be your top 3 picks?

Comment

I would roll a dice and choose between Nikolay or Eric.
              The second choice would go to Roman, if he signed a paper that he would stay in chess other 5 years :D He has a very steep rating curve which may go over GM in the near future. It is a bad thing when a player gets his GM final norm in the Olympiad and disappears from the team the next circle.
              All others are quite flat and nothing particularly interesting.
              Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Tuesday, 13th March, 2012, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
                Ditto. Noritsyn should be board five and the two reserves should be Hansen and Porper. Then if Spraggett and Bluvshtein won't play the last two will get their chance. Anything other than that would be simply unjust!
                What's the point of having a selection committee if you consider anything other than going by ratings unjust?

Personally, I'd say Noritsyn is the obvious choice for 5th board. As for the alternates, I'd go with Hansen and Sapozhnikov.

Roman may only be an FM but his rating has been rising rapidly, while Eric has been consistently performing at his current level for a few years now. I'm not sure what order I'd put them in.
                Christopher Mallon
                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Normand Arsenault View Post
                  My three choices for candidates are Mr. Eric, Mr. Nikolay and your daughter Ms. Alexandra. From what I've seen on the youtube videos of your daughter, she attracts a lot of attention. 29,000 views is quite a feat. It would be good for Canadian Chess to have her on the team even if she doesn't play.
                  Norm, she is on the Canadian Women's Team and would most likely get slaughtered if she's on the Men's Team.
                  Also, I hope this isn't offensive to Andrei but... some of the comments are kinda funny on youtube :D. Might be a reason why she attracted so many views.
                  P.S. Don't hurt me the next time you see me :P
                  Shameless self-promotion on display here
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                    sign
                    I would roll a dice and choose between Nikolay or Eric.
                    The second choice would go to Roman, if he signed a paper that he would stay in chess other 5 years :D He has a very steep rating curve which may go over GM in the near future. It is a bad thing when a player gets his GM final norm in the Olympiad and disappears from the team the next circle.
                    All others are quite flat and nothing particularly interesting.
                    My team would be from the active players who are likely to accept. I'm excluding players who are retired, aren't active, or won't likely accept. This is in board order.

!. Sambuev
                    2. Hansen
                    3. Gerzhoy
                    4. Porper
                    5. Noritsyn

If Kevin wants to play he'd be board 1 because you don't offer a top chef the job of waiter. Everyone else moves down.

It was always my habit to inform a player of the board he would play when he was invited so he could make a reasonable decision.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
                      If your choice is based on the province where you live is OK for this discussion, but is still not fair. If you had the chance to be part of the selection committee who would be your top 3 picks?
                      It wasn't really an objective comment so much as me stating my preference for 2 of my friends to play.

Objectively I agree with what Vlad Rehkson posted. Both Eric and Edward get many opportunities to play strong competition. We have been playing strong players to tournaments in Alberta for a long time with the Canadian Open, Calgary and Edmonton Internationals and so on. They both travel to strong tournaments from time to time as well.

To be fair, the whole list is quite close in strength and arguments of course could be made for the other players.

Based on chess strength, it is pretty clear that you should start with these 5, with the caveat that almost certainly not all of them will accept. After that the real debate begins.

3 GM.Sambuev, Bator/2536

Comment

Re : Re: 2012 Canadian Olympiad Dream Team roaster

It wasn't really an objective comment so much as me stating my preference for 2 of my friends to play.

Objectively I agree with what Vlad Rehkson posted. Both Eric and Edward get many opportunities to play strong competition. We have been playing strong players to tournaments in Alberta for a long time with the Canadian Open, Calgary and Edmonton Internationals and so on. They both travel to strong tournaments from time to time as well.

To be fair, the whole list is quite close in strength and arguments of course could be made for the other players.

Based on chess strength, it is pretty clear that you should start with these 5, with the caveat that almost certainly not all of them will accept. After that the real debate begins.

3 GM.Sambuev, Bator/2536
                        Lesiege and Charbonneau didn't qualify because they didn't play enough games. However, even if they would have played enough games, they would not have been qualified, because they don't have a sufficient CFC rating.

In my opinion, we should only look at the FIDE rating for players at this level...

Comment

Re: Re : Re: 2012 Canadian Olympiad Dream Team roaster

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                          Lesiege and Charbonneau didn't qualify because they didn't play enough games. However, even if they would have played enough games, they would not have been qualified, because they don't have a sufficient CFC rating.

In my opinion, we should only look at the FIDE rating for players at this level...
                          There's also the point that do you really want someone on the team who doesn't play very much if at all? Lesiege hasn't played a FIDE rated game since 2004, and not even an FQE rated game since 2006.

I'd be really happy if he decided to become active again of course, but I'd personally want to see that before picking him for a team!
                          Christopher Mallon
                          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: 2012 Canadian Olympiad Dream Team roaster

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                            There's also the point that do you really want someone on the team who doesn't play very much if at all? Lesiege hasn't played a FIDE rated game since 2004, and not even an FQE rated game since 2006.

I'd be really happy if he decided to become active again of course, but I'd personally want to see that before picking him for a team!
                            It's true, and that's why I agree with the number of games required. My point was simply that we should consider the FIDE rating after that, instead of the CFC rating. Some players, like GM Bluvshtein, don't (or didn't) play in many weekend tournaments and thus have a lower CFC rating than some players like IM Gherzhoy or IM Noritsyn and it doesn't make any sense.
                            Last edited by Felix Dumont; Wednesday, 14th March, 2012, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: 2012 Canadian Olympiad Dream Team roaster

The normal procedure Felix is whichever rating(CFC or FIDE) that can justify as many ONT players on the team is the one that will be used :)
                              Last edited by Eric Hansen; Wednesday, 14th March, 2012, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X